• Mario Kart Super Circuit - Game Boy Advance

0 0%
  • Wings of Fury - Game Boy Color

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 11/09 Top-10 Cartridge Based Handheld Games

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by readboy View Post
    Just a quick shout out for my favourite hand held game. It's for the GBA and is called Astro Boy The Omega Factor. It's written by Treasure and you guys really should check it out, emulate it if you have to, it just has to be played.
    Yep, it is another great Treasure title.

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    No because you would be forced into missing one that might deserve to be in.
    I don't think so. At most I would allow two. I can't think of any series that is so great that it deserves to have three of its titles in a top ten, including Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    I would not put an RPG in my own handheld list at all, the idea of a handheld for me is dip in and dip out. That doesn't work well with an RPG.
    Except the ones that allow you to save anywhere. It's no more a problem for an RPG than it would be for Zelda.

Besides, look at the games that were suggested. Super Mario Land? There's no dip-in-dip-out in that game. You start it and play to the end. At best, it takes a good twenty minutes to get through the game. And there's no save feature. Most RPG sessions would be a fraction of that.
    Last edited by TV's Mr. Neil; 26-11-09 at 08:33.

Activision Anthology is a fantastic, wonderful cartridge. Not just for the games, but for the interface, the extras, and all of the love put into it. I disagree with its inclusion solely because it is a collection of games instead of a single game - but at the same time I see the need for it. I don't think I have ever seen a full-on, disc based collection that comes close.

As for my personal picks, for those interested:

The Fish Files for GBC. A full, proper, entertaining point and click adventure for the Game Boy Colour. Marvelous. There was simply nothing like it that would fit in the palm of your hand, and it looks spectacular.

The Sims Bustin Out for Nokia N-Gage. If you have ever wondered if you would ever find anyone who actually likes the N-Gage, you have finally found one. This game took the basic mechanics of the Sims and added characters, an actual storyline with development, and hidden games to play on your in-game mobile in a sort of postmodern twist.

Animal Crossing Wild World on the DS. Granted, the DS is far too new and doesn't belong on a retro list - but it is cartridge-based. Call it a future classic if you like. Animal Crossing has so much to offer in that little cartridge, it's astounding.

Blue Lightning on the Lynx. It was After Burner. Except it was in your hand. OK, both of your hands. The Lynx was huge. It was still a portable After Burner, and if no one was looking you could rock from side to side while playing to bring a very sad and pitiful version of the arcade hydraulics home.

Just got done listening to this one today. First off, I have to say this.

When I got a Game Gear the pack in game was Columns, which was a great game and sadly was beat out by a bunch of predictable mario games.

So Cal I gotta agree with your take on this being sort of "commercial" (not sure if that's the right word) but I was like really another mario game? Sheesh. I think it should have been Mario World in everything else out. There are so many great hand held games and it seems sort of lame to have so many that are basically the same thing up at the top.

Scott, I'm sort of suprised you didn't include the metroid or sonic pinball games. Both of those were great fun I thought.

I also think it's a shame that no one included some of the great castlevania games that have appeared on handhelds, or come to think of it, Pokemon. I'm no pokemaniac, but a handheld game list that doesn't include Pokemon is kind of missing the point.

Other than those gripes it was solid list and a rousing debate as usual. The top tens are fast becoming my favorite part of the show, at least hte part that compel me to come bitch on the forums the most.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teknohed View Post
    Just got done listening to this one today. First off, I have to say this.

When I got a Game Gear the pack in game was Columns, which was a great game and sadly was beat out by a bunch of predictable mario games.

So Cal I gotta agree with your take on this being sort of "commercial" (not sure if that's the right word) but I was like really another mario game? Sheesh. I think it should have been Mario World in everything else out. There are so many great hand held games and it seems sort of lame to have so many that are basically the same thing up at the top.

Scott, I'm sort of suprised you didn't include the metroid or sonic pinball games. Both of those were great fun I thought.

I also think it's a shame that no one included some of the great castlevania games that have appeared on handhelds, or come to think of it, Pokemon. I'm no pokemaniac, but a handheld game list that doesn't include Pokemon is kind of missing the point.

Other than those gripes it was solid list and a rousing debate as usual. The top tens are fast becoming my favorite part of the show, at least hte part that compel me to come bitch on the forums the most.
    If you are compelled to come in here and bitch about our picks then we are doing our job

6. Exclamation

If you are compelled to come in here and bitch about our picks then we are doing our job
    LOL... Truly epic reply there

And this thread floated up for some unknown reason. So I voted for Tetris!
    GamerTag, iOS ID & Steam ID: TripHamer
    Tripping the Hammer since 1998!

Piff Merkin Guest

How Tetris was voted the best handheld cartridge game blows my mind, there were sooooo many other amazing games! Tetris!! Tetris!!! meh. I guess it depends on what age you where when Tetris came out. I don't know. Tetris, Tetris ahaha ahahaahhahhha!

Tetris is a fame for all generations, endless, puck up and play. Even deep role playing games have an end. Tetris will literally last you a life time

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234