• Super Maro Bros. DX - Game Boy Color

0 0%
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit - Game Boy Advance

0 0%
  • Wings of Fury - Game Boy Color

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11/09 Top-10 Cartridge Based Handheld Games

Here's the problem I have. For a portable gaming top ten list, you should have been considering either the impact that these games had on the portable genre and the impact that being ported to a handheld had on a game.

For example, Tetris may not have been originally made for a handheld system, but that's where it made its mark. Tetris etched itself into history, thanks the to the Gameboy. And the Gameboy owes its success to Tetris. Tetris is the the quintenessential portable game. that's where it made its biggest impact.

This Activision collection, however, is comprised of a bunch of games that made their impact on the Atari, which is a console designed to be played on a television. I think what you tried to do was to take your nostalgia for the 2600 and smuggle it into a portable debate, which I think is unfair.

Activision Anthology may be a fantastic collection, and I would love to own it some day, but it is not even close to being the sort of title I would even consider for such a list.

There are lots of games that I love that have been ported to portable consoles that I would never put on a top ten list of portable games, because these games belong in among console-based debates. Portables should be given props for its own innovations and not simply piggybacking the successes of yesterday's consoles via emulation.

So in other words, So Cal, leave your Atari love out of the handheld debate.

Blog Entries

But it was my top-10 list and I vote them in on the impact they had in my life

Everyone has to remember, our top-10s aren't necessarily the top-10's you would see published in some retro mag or video game website that mindlessly picks out the most obvious top-10s. These are our top-10s and are personal picks. That is what makes our top-10 debates fun to listen to. I see top-10s all over the place and sometimes they are nearly identical. Noone wants to keep seeing or hearing about the same top-10 picks over and over again, so some personal picks mix things up a bit.

And Activision Anthology is a great handheld game that is perfectly made for a handheld system. As was mentioned earlier, it is probably one of the best, if not the best, compilation out there. And to be able to play it on a handheld is even more impressive. If I were stranded on a desert island I can comfortable say I would rather have that cart than nearly any of the other carts in our top-10. There is more variety stuffed on that one cart than any other. But I suppose you would have had to grow up loving the Activision titles to begin with.

Klax was a port. Tetris was a port. SMB DX was a port. If we can't include ports in our lists, we will leave out alot of legitimate choices in future lists I think.

I wouldn't put Klax or Mario DX in there, either. Klax is a game I remember from the Genesis and, to a lesser extent, the arcade. By the time it came out on GBC, it was old news. And Mario DX... well... I don't even have to explain that. It's an NES game.

But Tetris is different. Tetris may be a port, but it's a game that made it's mark on a portable system. And for that reason, it is THE portable game. I don't really care whether or not a game is made for a portable system. That's not my exact criteria. I'm looking at it from the game's impact in gaming history.

There was just way too much Mario flying around this list, anyway. I would have picked one of the Super Mario Land titles and left it at that. You guys should have a one-game-per-franchise rule.

Also, why was UK Mike referring to Super Mario Land 2 as Super Mario Bros. 2? Luigi isn't in that game.
    Last edited by TV's Mr. Neil; 26-11-09 at 02:18.

Blog Entries

Everyone has to remember, our top-10s aren't necessarily the top-10's you would see published in some retro mag or video game website that mindlessly picks out the most obvious top-10s. These are our top-10s and are personal picks. That is what makes our top-10 debates fun to listen to. I see top-10s all over the place and sometimes they are nearly identical. Noone wants to keep seeing or hearing about the same top-10 picks over and over again, so some personal picks mix things up a bit.
    Right on, but it is clear that mine is more correct...
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TV's Mr. Neil View Post
    I wouldn't put Klax or Mario DX in there, either. Klax is a game I remember from the Genesis and, to a lesser extent, the arcade. By the time it came out on GBC, it was old news. And Mario DX... well... I don't even have to explain that. It's an NES game.

But Tetris is different. Tetris may be a port, but it's a game that made it's mark on a portable system. And for that reason, it is THE portable game. I don't really care whether or not a game is made for a portable system. That's not my exact criteria. I'm looking at it from the game's impact in gaming history.

There was just way too much Mario flying around this list, anyway. I would have picked one of the Super Mario Land titles and left it at that. You guys should have a one-game-per-franchise rule.

Also, why was UK Mike referring to Super Mario Land 2 as Super Mario Bros. 2? Luigi isn't in that game.
    Out of curiousity what would your top-10 list include? Love to hear your picks. Then drill down your top-10 to four only and you will see what we go through. Picking just four games out of so many is difficult. Also, I do see what you are saying about Tetris but can you pick 15 other games with as much significance as that one?

For me, it's not always about making a mark on gaming history. It's not a top 10 of "most historically significant games." Sometimes a game that's just so darn good, or has made it's mark on you personally deserves the recognition.

Historical significance isn't my sole criteria. If I did, I would put Pokemon at #1, with the way that it changed the way developers thought of using linked gameplay. I just can't put Pokemon on any such list.

I do have my sentimental favorites. I just have a problem putting games from earlier platforms into a portable top ten, unless being put on the portable system made a significant difference for the game (i.e., Tetris). There are games like this that were originally on consoles or computers that just feel much better on a handheld. But not many, in my opinion.

My point on setting certain standards is that I feel that console ports on a list of handheld games can kind of dilute the list. In the same respect, I would never put Genesis or Turbo Grafx games on the list just because the Nomad and Turbo Express made those games portable.

My list would be more portable-centric, is what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGavel View Post
    Out of curiousity what would your top-10 list include? Love to hear your picks. Then drill down your top-10 to four only and you will see what we go through. Picking just four games out of so many is difficult. Also, I do see what you are saying about Tetris but can you pick 15 other games with as much significance as that one?
    I'll give you more than a top four. I'll give you my personal top ten. Although, my top four picks are indeed the four I'd bring to the table.

As I said, I'm not using platform significance as my sole criteria, otherwise I'd have to put Pokemon on my list, and I have an extreme aversion to that. My picks are basically games that are in their element on the portable consoles and nowhere else.

And so...

1. Tetris
    It's hard not to make the number 1 game Tetris. It's my opinion that this is actually the greatest video game of all time. It may not be the most popular or best selling, but it's the most universal, from what I've seen. And it's been a staple of portable gaming ever since 1987.

2. Donkey Kong '94
    HA! I veto ALL of your Mario choices and substitute this awesome game instead! I was so sad that this game was absent from your list. It's actually a fairly lengthy platformer that expands significantly upon the original game. It's kind of a weird mix of the Donkey Kong play style and the pick-up-and-throw style of Super Mario 2.

3. Sonic Pocket Adventure
    Another mascot-based veto. Skip the Game Gear. This list needs a little Neo Geo Pocket power! Sonic returns to form at long last with this awesome portable game. The follow-up GBA title was also good, but I'm not listing it here. I don't particularly like the Game Gear titles at all, actually.

4. Golden Sun
    One of only two RPGs I'm putting on my list, and the only one I'm putting in my top four. Why? Because most of the portable RPGs that I know of are ports of SNES and Genesis titles. Golden Sun was just awesome and so huge that they had to release it on two carts. It's also an original IP.

5. Zelda: Link's Awakening
    My favorite Zelda. Best of what I liked about the NES and SNES titles, plus it finally let you swap the sword for another weapon. A bit more light-hearted, too. And it showed me that the Gameboy could do a game of this caliber. Before this game, I didn't know that the Gameboy could do this kind of adventure. Color version is even better.

6. Wario Ware Twisted
    Pretty much covered in the episode. Cool innovation.

7. Metroid Zero Mission
    Probably my most controversial pick, since it's a remake of a console game, and I don't like putting console games in my portables list. But it isn't just a retread, either. New bosses, new areas, and new surprises everywhere. Probably the best of the 2-D Metroids.

8. Final Fantasy Adventure
    The first Zelda-style game on the original Gameboy. Not at all like the regular series. Kind of went under the radar for a while until people started realizing that it was the predecessor to the Secret Of Mana.

9. Defenders of Oasis
    My other hardcore RPG choice, and my only Game Gear pick. I don't look upon Game Gear fondly, but this was pretty good.

10. SNK Gal Fighter
    because it's awesome, and Neo Geo Pocket deserves love.

A few other honorable mentions: TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, most any portable Zelda, Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow, Final Fantasy Legend II, Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, the Wario Land series, Sonic Advance, Advance Wars, Kirby's Dreamland 2, and Super Mario Land.

Tried to keep it varied, but there isn't much outside of a Nintendo portable that I can truly say I enjoyed. Game Gear especially.

Blog Entries

Historical significance isn't my sole criteria. If I did, I would put Pokemon at #1, with the way that it changed the way developers thought of using linked gameplay. I just can't put Pokemon on any such list.

I do have my sentimental favorites. I just have a problem putting games from earlier platforms into a portable top ten, unless being put on the portable system made a significant difference for the game (i.e., Tetris). There are games like this that were originally on consoles or computers that just feel much better on a handheld. But not many, in my opinion.

My point on setting certain standards is that I feel that console ports on a list of handheld games can kind of dilute the list. In the same respect, I would never put Genesis or Turbo Grafx games on the list just because the Nomad and Turbo Express made those games portable.

My list would be more portable-centric, is what I'm saying.

I'll give you more than a top four. I'll give you my personal top ten. Although, my top four picks are indeed the four I'd bring to the table.

As I said, I'm not using platform significance as my sole criteria, otherwise I'd have to put Pokemon on my list, and I have an extreme aversion to that. My picks are basically games that are in their element on the portable consoles and nowhere else.

And so...

1. Tetris
    It's hard not to make the number 1 game Tetris. It's my opinion that this is actually the greatest video game of all time. It may not be the most popular or best selling, but it's the most universal, from what I've seen. And it's been a staple of portable gaming ever since 1987.

2. Donkey Kong '94
    HA! I veto ALL of your Mario choices and substitute this awesome game instead! I was so sad that this game was absent from your list. It's actually a fairly lengthy platformer that expands significantly upon the original game. It's kind of a weird mix of the Donkey Kong play style and the pick-up-and-throw style of Super Mario 2.

3. Sonic Pocket Adventure
    Another mascot-based veto. Skip the Game Gear. This list needs a little Neo Geo Pocket power! Sonic returns to form at long last with this awesome portable game. The follow-up GBA title was also good, but I'm not listing it here. I don't particularly like the Game Gear titles at all, actually.

4. Golden Sun
    One of only two RPGs I'm putting on my list, and the only one I'm putting in my top four. Why? Because most of the portable RPGs that I know of are ports of SNES and Genesis titles. Golden Sun was just awesome and so huge that they had to release it on two carts. It's also an original IP.

5. Zelda: Link's Awakening
    My favorite Zelda. Best of what I liked about the NES and SNES titles, plus it finally let you swap the sword for another weapon. A bit more light-hearted, too. And it showed me that the Gameboy could do a game of this caliber. Before this game, I didn't know that the Gameboy could do this kind of adventure. Color version is even better.

6. Wario Ware Twisted
    Pretty much covered in the episode. Cool innovation.

7. Metroid Zero Mission
    Probably my most controversial pick, since it's a remake of a console game, and I don't like putting console games in my portables list. But it isn't just a retread, either. New bosses, new areas, and new surprises everywhere. Probably the best of the 2-D Metroids.

8. Final Fantasy Adventure
    The first Zelda-style game on the original Gameboy. Not at all like the regular series. Kind of went under the radar for a while until people started realizing that it was the predecessor to the Secret Of Mana.

9. Defenders of Oasis
    My other hardcore RPG choice, and my only Game Gear pick. I don't look upon Game Gear fondly, but this was pretty good.

10. SNK Gal Fighter
    because it's awesome, and Neo Geo Pocket deserves love.

A few other honorable mentions: TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, most any portable Zelda, Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow, Final Fantasy Legend II, Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, the Wario Land series, Sonic Advance, Advance Wars, Kirby's Dreamland 2, and Super Mario Land.

Tried to keep it varied, but there isn't much outside of a Nintendo portable that I can truly say I enjoyed. Game Gear especially.
    Ya, that's a good list. And keep in mind we do try to include games from multiple systems unless we decide to designate a top-10 for a specific system (which we will still be doing over the next year). But the GB/GBA def have the best games. I actually just picked up Golden Sun, Metroid Zero Mission, TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan, Sonic Adance and Wade Hixtons Counter Punch in the past month or so - all awesome games for sure! So I have lots of portable gaming to catch up on.

Blog Entries

You guys should have a one-game-per-franchise rule.
    No because you would be forced into missing one that might deserve to be in.

Yeah, I noticed that when editing, I think I did it a couple of times. I also mixed up a Zelda game too I think.

My other hardcore RPG choice
    I would not put an RPG in my own handheld list at all, the idea of a handheld for me is dip in and dip out. That doesn't work well with an RPG. If you play a handheld for hours on end, fine. Personally I don't so I don't get into too many RPGs on it.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Default Best Handheld Title

Just a quick shout out for my favourite hand held game. It's for the GBA and is called Astro Boy The Omega Factor. It's written by Treasure and you guys really should check it out, emulate it if you have to, it just has to be played.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast