• Super Maro Bros. DX - Game Boy Color

0 0%
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit - Game Boy Advance

0 0%
  • Wings of Fury - Game Boy Color

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11/09 Top-10 Cartridge Based Handheld Games

Ok I haven't finished the Top 10 from this month and I'm not reading any posts in this thread so as not to spoil it. But how in the name of all things holy can Activision Anthology be put at #10!?!?! That is definitely a fantastic GBA game. The presentation with the Atari cartridge rack, the ability to unlock the badges, the perfectly emulated Activision classics, the scans of the boxart and manuals and instructions (!), it's a FANTASTIC cart.

People do these arcade compilations all the time and they suck, I think this one deserves to be top 5 at least. I still play it on my Retro NES GBA .
    Become a fan of The Retro Machine on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...e/121452225655

See us on Video Masters TV @ www.videomasterstv.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ok I haven't finished the Top 10 from this month and I'm not reading any posts in this thread so as not to spoil it. But how in the name of all things holy can Activision Anthology be put at #10!?!?! That is definitely a fantastic GBA game. The presentation with the Atari cartridge rack, the ability to unlock the badges, the perfectly emulated Activision classics, the scans of the boxart and manuals and instructions (!), it's a FANTASTIC cart.

People do these arcade compilations all the time and they suck, I think this one deserves to be top 5 at least. I still play it on my Retro NES GBA .
    I agree! My co-hosts are Morons

Do you have the Retro NES GBA SP? Me too! It's pretty sweet.

Blog Entries

I have voted for these games in the past, I will vote for them again in their console, arcade, handheld and even boardgame renditions. I just want to see other games get a shot they deserve.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    I have voted for these games in the past, I will vote for them again in their console, arcade, handheld and even boardgame renditions. I just want to see other games get a shot they deserve.

5. Question

I want to get the Retro NES GBA SP as well as the Retro Famicom version, someday too.

Does anyone know if either of these systems are the second re-released versions (with the ability to turn the backlight on and off?).

The only thing I hate about the GBA SPs is that it doesn't have a standard headphone port built-in (you have to use a stupid cumbersome official Nintendo adapter ). The system is dying to be modded; if only for this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGavel View Post
    I agree! My co-hosts are Morons

Yeah, it's the only GBA SP that I've kept. I don't like the outside design as much, but the inside is fantastic (especially with the textured surface that feels just like the NES pad).

I think you and I were the same with Activision Anthology (I just got done listening to the top 10). I was just so amped up when that game came out and I'm not that great of a game player but I've managed to surprise myself and get a fair number of badges. What's great is I discovered games on that anthology that I never had the chance to play, like Barnstormer and River Raid.

Just pouring over the old scans is great too. I really want to see something like this on the DS too. I know you can play it on the DS, but I found that the stronger backlit screen of the DS washed out the colors or something.

Hey did you catch the Alex Kidd review I did on Video Masters TV?
    Become a fan of The Retro Machine on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...e/121452225655

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Hey did you catch the Alex Kidd review I did on Video Masters TV?
    Sure did.

Has John told you what I sent him for the show?
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    Sure did.

Has John told you what I sent him for the show?
    No he didn't, is it top secret?

I wouldn't recommend the original NES Zelda. In my book, the only two Zelda's that matter are A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Both titles are just masterpieces. The scope and scale of Ocarina was pretty amazing for its time.

My least favorite Zelda ever was Majora's Mask. I was a broke college student when Majora's Mask came out, but I had to have it fresh off the heels of Ocarina. I sold almost my entire Queen CD collection at a pawn shop so I could buy Majora's Mask. One of my biggest gaming-related mistakes ever.

As a person who extensively played Super Mario Land AND Super Mario Land 2, there's no doubt that 6 Golden Coins is the one that should be in the top 10 between those two titles. Scott said it best when he used the word "novel" to describe SML, that's exactly what it was. I looked past the ghosting because it was a portable Mario game, but for me it doesn't age well. 6 Golden Coins was more like what the first one should have been.

The thing with Activision Anthology on GBA is that it's more than just a collection of emulated games. It had the unlockable patches if you beat the real scores required to get the patch back in the day. That's the coolest feature I've ever seen in any emulation compilation. It also just worked so well as a handheld game.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast