View Poll Results: What is the best Horror Video Game?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Typing of the Dead - Dreamcast

0 0%
  • Devil's Crush Pinball - Turbo Grafx 16

2 6.25%
  • Haunted House Pinball

0 0%
  • Resident Evil - PS1

13 40.63%
  • Halloween - Atari 2600

0 0%
  • Phantasmagoria - PC

2 6.25%
  • Ghouls & Ghosts - Genesis/MD

0 0%
  • Alone in the Dark - Game Boy Color

0 0%
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors - SNES

1 3.13%
  • Castlevania - NES

2 6.25%
  • Silent Hill - PS1

5 15.63%
  • Elvira and the Party Monsters Pinball

1 3.13%
  • 7th Guest - PC/CDi

2 6.25%
  • Ghostbusters - Genesis/MD

0 0%
  • Doom - PC

4 12.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/09 Top-10 Horror Games

UK:

I heard the "What is Retro?" segments. Personally, I draw the "retro" line at the NES/Famicom. If it's 16-bit or later, it's too new-fangled for me. (Although I'll confess to having owned a TurboGrafix-16, Genesis/Sega CD, PS1, and Wii at various points in my life -- and the latter two I still own, but mostly for my kids.)

I'll see if Megadrive Ghostbusters can be found enjoyed via the wonders of emulation. Thanks for the recommendation.

-CSJ

Well it was a tough one. It was between RE and SH for me but I ended up picking RE. Doom is another good choice. I do remember the first time I played Alone In The Dark, though, and that scared me a couple times. Hmmmm, maybe I should have picked Alone In The Dark.

I liked UK Mike’s comment on the podcast that there are almost 2 genres of horror; scary horror and gory horror. I much prefer scary horror.

My favorite horror film is the original black and white ‘The Haunting’. The bit where Eleanor is holding a none existent hand creeps me out. In fact my hair is standing on end just writing that. I guess ‘The Blair Witch Project’ was also in that horror genre.

For that reason I went for the ‘7th Guest’ as that is the closest to the kind of scary horror I like. Although I haven’t played silent hill which I suspect might be in the same vain.

There could be a top 3 of horror genres. I’d guess one Mike would go for scary, one Mike for gory and Scott would go for large breasted slutty nurses on your doorstep or even better laid back over a sacrificial pinball table . I wonder which of those 3 would be number one?

Finally got a chance to listen to the top 10. You guys really lost me on this top 10. Scott doesn't vote Resident Evil in the top 10 at all, but you want Typing of the Dead in the top 5? You're crazy. I like Typing of the Dead, but it's barely a horror game at all. If any "of the Dead" games should be in the list, you have to go HotD 1 or 2, or maybe even Pinball of the Dead. RE is practically the definition of horror games. Castlevania ought to have been in the top 10, too. It's a classic.

On a related point, RE has to be above Doom. Doom is not really a horror game. RE has the pacing, the cameras, the awesome music and sound effects, the sense of something even coming up... it's a horror game. Doom is just an action game. A great one, but RE has to be way ahead.

It's been a while since I've played the original RE, and I forgot about those doors that cover the load times. What I really loved was that you could hear the zombies moaning while the doors were opening if zombies were in the next room. Such great atmosphere. I've played every traditional RE game up until 5, and it's one of my favorite series of all time.

More thoughts: Scott made a compelling case for Phatasmagoria being in the top 10 somewhere - but never in his lenghy pitch for the game did he mention "gameplay." There's probably a reason... and that's a big reason it should be low on the list. Also, gore is not horror. Postal has gore. Saw has gore. That's not real horror, it's just shock value. Like UK Mike said, it's kind of as sub-genre of horror. Gore is like the annoying little brother to horror that you have to put up with because he's related.

RE has the setting, atmosphere, music, tense moments and it's an incredible game. The puzzles were great. Every new room had you totally on the edge of your seat. I just love the franchise. I agree with having Phantasmagoria low on the list. And while I've never played Silent Hill, it gets enough great word of mouth I think it has to be there somewhere.

I would have put Devil's Crush in and kicked out Zombie's Ate My Neighbors. I played it back in the day and it was kind of funny, but I thought the gameplay was somewhat dull (blasphemy, perhaps).
    Last edited by BydoEmpire73; 03-11-09 at 09:28.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire73 View Post
    More thoughts: Scott made a compelling case for Phatasmagoria being in the top 10 somewhere - but never in his lenghy pitch for the game did he mention "gameplay." There's probably a reason... and that's a big reason it should be low on the list. Also, gore is not horror. Postal has gore. Saw has gore. That's not real horror, it's just shock value. Like UK Mike said, it's kind of as sub-genre of horror. Gore is like the annoying little brother to horror that you have to put up with because he's related.

RE has the setting, atmosphere, music, tense moments and it's an incredible game. The puzzles were great. Every new room had you totally on the edge of your seat. I just love the franchise. I agree with having Phantasmagoria low on the list. And while I've never played Silent Hill, it gets enough great word of mouth I think it has to be there somewhere.

I would have put Devil's Crush in and kicked out Zombie's Ate My Neighbors. I played it back in the day and it was kind of funny, but I thought the gameplay was somewhat dull (blasphemy, perhaps).
    Ya, RE Rules! Probably my favorite franchise of all time. Scott was high on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas again. A common occurance during our top-10 recordings

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire73 View Post

Those are very interesting points. I’d say it comes down to what the top 10 horror games means. Is it the 10 best horror related games or the 10 most horrific/scary games?

In a strange way I’d say the list ends up as a nice balance of the two. There are some games in there for being horrific, like Phatasmagoria, and some for game play, like Zombie's Ate My Neighbors. RE has both in abundance so is rightfully right up there. In fact I’m not sure Doom should have ended up at number one on that basis.

These things are all subjective though. As Scott, Mike and Mike prove every month it is the debate that counts not who wins or loses, for the listener at least.

Blog Entries

You know, Flare and myself had an interesting discussion about the games in our list.

He felt that not all of our games were true horror games as they were not scary, but my point was, how many horror games before PS1/Dreamcast/N64 actually scared you?

I would be surprised if there were any.

I think that to be scared by a game it has to have some semblance of realism, and a list on our show is not going to feature just PS1 era games.

We had to broaden the list to be a horror "themed" list or it would not have contained some of the great retro titles we picked.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    You know, Flare and myself had an interesting discussion about the games in our list.

He felt that not all of our games were true horror games as they were not scary, but my point was, how many horror games before PS1/Dreamcast/N64 actually scared you?

I would be surprised if there were any.

I think that to be scared by a game it has to have some semblance of realism, and a list on our show is not going to feature just PS1 era games.

We had to broaden the list to be a horror "themed" list or it would not have contained some of the great retro titles we picked.
    Does it need realism or do you just need an emotional attachment to your character?

I remember when I was getting close to completing Alien 8 for the first time: I was on my last life and only had a couple of chambers left to complete. Then I walked into the room with mines and space rats. I literally froze with fear as I thought I was going to complete the game and this was an unexpected twist. I died in a relatively easy room just a few minutes later. I’m sure the trauma set me back a few weeks in completing that game.

Reading that back over I think it should be read accompanied by the ‘our tune’ music http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Bates. UK Mike: you could dig it out for the next show . It might have gone well over some of Scott’s hardware horror stories. If not I’m sure it could be incorporated into the British hour.

Is it the 10 best horror related games
    I guess that's how I looked at it, otherwise it would have been "top 10 scariest games." I don't think the game has to be scary to be considered "horror." I think it's more about the setting and theme of the game - zombies, skeletons, witches, vampires, ghosts... fear of the unkown. I also like the campy, fun and whimsical "horror" and halloween stuff, and I think those games definitely belong on the list as well. It could be a factor in where I'd place the game in the list, though.

As Scott, Mike and Mike prove every month it is the debate that counts not who wins or loses, for the listener at least.
    I totally agree - and the listener always wins because it's a lot of fun to listen to.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire73; 06-11-09 at 06:30.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast