1 7.69%
  • Launch Ramp Skill Shots

0 0%
  • Dot Matrix Displays

0 0%

Thread: 8/09 Top-10 Pinball Innovations

Blog Entries

Default 8/09 Top-10 Pinball Innovations

You know the dawn of another podcast is near when the poll results show up here. Here are what we felt were the best in pinball innovations. See what ended up in our top-10 and what ended up as the #1 Pinball Innovation according to us.

And Vote on what you feel was the #1 Pinball Innovation.

Talking

Wow, a poll after my own heart! But darn it, I just can't decide on one!

I love to plunge into a multi level multiball with extra balls awarded for ramp skill shots and fast flipper action but without any tilts or darn magnets!
    Last edited by Chickybaby; 23-08-09 at 01:48.
    Очі як море,часом сині і зелені.Хто Я-Вогонь чи Лід?Зникну,чи лишy слів на серце?Може ніч нам скаже.Просеш,Хочеш?Я світ тобі покажу.Кожні шукають свою Вічного щастя.Ти мій посмішка і радість,смуток і біль.Горячий як пристрасть, холодний як сніг.Я так хочу тебе.Ти мій солодкий гріх.Не блякни геть,коли ранок прийде але Через неба літи до мене.Ти мене заколишеш Під зоряний спів,В лавині горячих слів.В чистим місячне світло Впізнай мене,бо моє Серце пізнало тебе.Ти моя любов і це Наший солодкий ніч.

Blog Entries

I posted our podcast info here. Maybe some of their members will chime in and also listen to our cast:

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums...ead.php?t=6931

Thumbs up

I chose "flippers" since that seems like one of the most critical elements. I'm surprised "solenoids" weren't mentioned. I love the sound/feel of those things!

I too went with the ol Flipper. I wanted to be the contrarian and go with Solid State. But just couldn't do it.

Played a lot of pinball back in the day but wasn't ever that great at it. SoCal's talk about MagnaSave reminded me of something that I always wondered. Did unscrupulous arcade operators or unscrupulous Manufacturers for that matter, ever get caught putting magnets in the center of the playfield to try and make it drain down the center?

bacon

Blog Entries

Good question, I wonder if Scott does it for his own arcade parties?
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

I have a secret footswitch to alter the score by a factor of 10, and I still lag behind

Great question though! In general no they didn't. There are lots of configurable factors mechanical and software wise to make a game loose and easy or darn near unplayable and no fun without needing to resort to other factors to limit game time. That is one of the neater things about owning and collecting, you get access to the nuts and bolts that you never could as a player. In video games or pinball you can alter the scoring and bonuses etc. via dip switches on the PCB or via software menus that are accessed from buttons inside the machine. On pinballs there are often mechanical adjustments such as sliding posts that can be used to make an area such as a ramp harder or easier to hit.

Game time was a very hot topic for a long time for operators. There was a concern that a good player could dominate a machine for a long time on a single quarter. Ok, in the golden era where there were lines for machines that had some validity, but how many ace players were there in ratio to normal 2 min. gamers? The problem is operator mindset changes slowly if at all. Limiting playtime on a machine with no lines in todays world makes no sense. It would be more wise to loosen the game up and really give the player some good gameplay for his money so that he will come back. If you talk to operators though you will find out most of them (but not all) are pretty disconnected from reality and their customers.

I would suggest spending some time at http://www.replaymag.com/ or talking to operators at the next auction. Some are great guys but many have attitudes as dated as their satin jackets and giant plastic framed glasses.

One more point, as a collector I have not seen a game rigged to inhibit gameplay but what I have certainly seen is that many operators inhibit gameplay through shoddy repairs and lack of maintenance. I have probably spent more time undoing operator repairs so that I can fix the real problem with a game than I have doing actual repair work alone.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Cool stuff, but I just can't see anything being a bigger innovation than the Flipper, so that got my vote.

Thanks for the excellent reply Scott, you've seen enough machines at auction and in your own collection, its interesting that you haven't come across that. The downside of this revelation, is the fact that i probably just sucked at pinball, rather than being a victim of a secret underground society of Operators With Ill Will (and strategically placed magnets).

Thanks for the crushing epiphany. :-)

Blog Entries

Its OK, I suck too. Fortunately pinball happiness has nothing to do with being good. I have been playing some time now and I don't seem to get much better although I know how to play. I am just not that great at it. But I love working on them, caring for them and get as much or more from that as being able to score well.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com