1 3.57%
  • SOCALMIKE, Food Fight - Atari 7800

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2/09 Top-10 Best Arcade to Console/Computer Ports

Blog Entries

Default 2/09 Top-10 Best Arcade to Console/Computer Ports

Hello Listeners,

Scotty (Subarubrat), UK Mike (Miner2049er) and myself have wrapped our first Top-10 list discussion. This months discussion, er uh, debate was the best Arcade to Console/Computer Ports.

We each came to the discussion with our top four picks. If you do the math that equals a total of 12. Not 10. So that meant that we all had to do some give and take and agree, somewhat on what our official Top-10 would be. In this outcome we obviously had to toss some of our choices.

You will have to listen to the February Podcast to hear our "official" Top-10 results and reasons why. But for now, here is a poll which will show you all our 12 Choices for our Best Arcade to Console/Computer ports.

Who do you agree with. Do you agree with any of us on any of our choices? Please vote here as well as discuss what your choices would be for this Top-10. Keep in mind this has already been recorded so don't be dissapointed if we don't include or discuss any of your choices. Completely disagree with one or some of our choices. Feel free to bash us. We can take it

These are in no order what so ever.

Out of our 12 choices which one would you choose to be in the #1 position as best Arcade Port? And feel free to reply in this thread with what your choices would be, and why.

What was the official Top-10? Who's games all ended up in the Top-10? Why did we pick these particular games and which one ended up in the #1 spot of our Best Arcade to Console/Computer Port? Find out in our Premier February Episode of Retrogamingroundup.

Blog Entries

Another great arcade to console port is Mr. Do on the Super NES. I wonder how I missed this one back in the day? Just scored one at the swaps a couple weeks ago.

I have to agree with Dragon's Lair on the GBC - it's an astounding achievement on such a humble handheld.

Offhand, all I can think to add is R-Type for the Sega Master System - it's an amazing port, gorgeously playable.

I probably spent about 100 hours playing Star WArs on the 5200 when I was a kid. I be interested to see it again now to see if my memory was just rose tinted glasses.

leathco Guest

I'd love to make an informed opinion as to what I think should be number one, but I haven't played hardly anything on that list! So instead I'll just throw out other conversions I thought were well done.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game (NES): Considering the hardware limitations of the NES, this game looked awesome. I really like the flame effect in the first stage, and how busy the Technodrome stage was. The two extra stages were a great bonus as well.

Turtles In Time (SNES): Another Turtles game, this one great not because of what they did within limitations, but just how close it really was to the arcade version. The fact that they kept the tossing foot soldiers at the screen was awesome, and the only stage that didn't feel arcade perfect was the future stage where you rode on the platform thing. Even the recent remake for 360 and PS3 (which I bought immediately) just failed on so many levels compared to the SNES version.

Space Invaders AND Missle Command (2600): Both of these I rate about the same, just incredebly fun arcade games recreated very well on the 2600 hardware. As a kid it was a dream to play these games I pumped so many quarters into at home without paying. Too bad the port of Pac-Man wasn't nearly as good (though not quite as bad as many people make it out to be, as a stand-alone game I enjoyed it)

Golden Axe (Genesis): This game was a blast in the arcades, and the Genesis port was almost perfect, although they did censor it a bit to my disappointment. The best part was that they managed to keep the co-op play intact, something that got omitted a lot before this game.

Final Fight (Sega CD): The SNES port of this game was a complete joke. Stages cut, characters cut, and the cash in attempt by Capcom to swap out the Cody pallette with Guy was BS. Luckily, us few that had the Sega CD got greatness. Missing stages and characters are back, but thats nothing compared to the awesome soundtrack we got. The Sega CD was capable of throwing out some awesome tunes (see Terminator) but what Capcom did with Final Fight on the Sega CD blew even the arcade version out of the water. Oh yea, I forgot to mention, many more baddies onscreen in this version than the SNES. This is one of the few cases that Genesis really did what Nintendidn't.

Splatterhouse (Turbografx-16): Just wow. I loved the arcade game, we had it in the pizza shop for only a month before parents complaining made it disappear, but during that month it enthralled me. I never had a TG-16 as a kid but drooled over the fact that this game was on it. Years later I had forgotten about it when I got into MAME, and there it was! I played til I beat it, than years later got to play the TG-16 version on Wii VC. It was a really nice port, minor censoring but 100% of the gore was there, just some religous stuff got pulled out. It was pretty well arcade perfect. I really need to get a TG-16 in my collection.......

R-Type 2 / Super R-Type (SNES): I didn't even know an arcade version of this existed until MAME. I played the hell out of this one as a kid. The SNES exclusive new first stage was well done and fit in great. Because of all the time spent on the SNES version, I can run through the arcade version on one credit. That shows a well made port, as my skills in the SNES version transcended to the arcade.

I better stop there for now. I know many of my picks are probably strange but most of my gaming came of age during the NES, SNES, and Genesis.

EDIT: I DID play Asteroids and Defender on the 2600, out of the two I think Defender was the better conversion......seemed to have all the small details the arcade had too. Missle Command was awesome as well.
    Last edited by leathco; 31-01-10 at 01:23.

Thumbs up Uh hello... you are missing the most important port

Honestly, I think you have to include Street Fighter II, NBA Jam, or Mortal Kombat. It was the porting of these games that were the final nail in the arcade coffins. Not only were they near perfect ports... you could purchase quality arcade style joysticks to play them with at home.

Here's a few arcade to console/computer ports that I like:

1) Contra (NES)
    2) Missle Command (Atari 2600)
    3) Zaxxon (Colecovision)
    4) Space Invaders (Atari 2600) - I always thought the sound of when you got killed in the 2600 version sounds like a fart.

Funspot72

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Funspot72 View Post
    Here's a few arcade to console/computer ports that I like:

4) Space Invaders (Atari 2600)
    Hideous. Hated it then, hate it now.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    Hideous. Hated it then, hate it now.
    Say what you will about the 2600 port. the 5200 port was great. I learned about 12 curse words watching my Dad play that game!

Oh wow, I just blogged about this. I voted for Food Fight.

Food Fight was my FAVORITE Atari 7800 game. It kept me suitably entertained during my period of delusion, where I still believed that Atari was where it was at. First, it was awesome to have a game where you throw food. Second, it had the awesome instant replay mode. I used to deliberately trigger that and then keep the round going as long as I could to get the full song.

I didn't even realize until later that Food Fight was a trackball game in the arcade. It didn't even need it. That's how good this game was.

The game ran silky smooth, even when the screen starts filling up with food flying everywhere.

And my favorite stage is, of course, the watermelon stage, because they were in never-ending supply.

This game should be #1, if for no other reason than being a great port on the Atari 7800, a console that just doesn't get the love it richly deserves. It deserves love BECAUSE it had Food Fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast