View RSS Feed

SteveSawyer

Lead And Gold Review

Rate this Entry
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West Review by Steve Sawyer

Team Fortress 2 isn't exactly on my top ten list of games that I pick to play when I scroll down my Steam list. It's not that I dislike the game, quite the opposite is true. I rather like Team Fortress 2, the art style reminds me quite a bit of the golden age of comic books, and the violence is so over the top that you cant help but laugh with glee when someone, or rather the multiple bits of someone, goes flying by your field of vision. You'll notice that these are not the typical reasons to avoid playing a game. So my reasons for avoiding Team Fortress 2 are a lot more basic... I'm just not very good at it. Let me rephrase that... I'm horrible at Team Fortress 2, to the point where people threaten to vote me out. That's not something that comes easy to a person that's used to getting uninterrupted kill streaks in almost every single other title he plays.

So when I saw Lead and Gold, I was almost intimidated. The game seemed like it was a Wild West version of the shooter that had plagued me so much with it's ability to punish and humiliate me in front of my online cohorts. Fortunately for me, and more importantly... for my teammates, Lead and Gold isn't just a wild west coat of paint over a huge beefy moron aping Team Fortress 2. Lead and Gold is surprisingly fluid, responsive, and has a very polished feel. And there's of course the requisite mention of the very cool and unique art style that manages to capture the essence of the Wild West, in an almost cartoonish way. Much like, well you know...

So as for the game it tries to differentiate itself from it's biggest inspiration with the change from first to third person perspective, it's knockdown before death system, and cuts it down to just four classes to pick from. You get a Gunslinger, Trapper, The Blaster, and The Deputy. Each of them with their own unique abilities, and synergy effects. There's even more of all that par for the course Team Fortress 2 mimicry in the form of the game's UI, and incredibly obvious icons pointing you towards your objectives, at all times reminding you of exactly what you should be doing in hugely moron proof ways. Where Lead and Gold really does shine in it's differences is in the modes of play themselves. The different gametypes feel surprisingly spot on, with more fun to play than they should be shoot outs occurring during playthroughs of a game of Robbery. Or the impossibly cool Powder Keg, where you have to carry a barrel full of TNT to different demolition points, all the while your enemies can shoot the barrel, and set it off in your hands. Entertaining stuff for sure.

I have some serious problems with the game though. I don't understand for the life of me why the game that is so content to mimic Team Fortress 2 in almost every other way, doesn't get with the basics. The lack of voice support in a modern First Person Shooter is a pretty obvious and glaring thing, especially in the face of Team Fortress 2 which (for it's detriment sometimes) has incredible built in voice over IP. The lack of the ability to communicate quickly in a Team based shooter is critical, and Lead and Gold doesn't make it easy to pull that off in the heat of battle. Also, if there are macros for basic warnings, or calls for back up... I have yet to find them, and having to type to my teammates to pick me up, in the split Also the lack of different classes has led to me seeing a flood of Uni-Class matches. There's nothing more annoying than entering a server as a gunslinger only to find it's populated with nothing but Sniping Trappers, and I don't think it would have been much harder to dig in Wild West lore for one or two more classes. It's a great effort that reeks of a certain degree of laziness, and that makes it hard for me to recommend the game at 15 bucks. Especially when you consider that you can grab the superior Team Fortress 2 for just 5 bucks more, or just wait for the inevitable Steam sale and get Team Fortress 2 even cheaper than that. So when they say imitation is the best form of flattery, rest assured they aren't talking about Lead and Gold.

**Special Note: All the screenshots were taken in the tutorial since fraps, and this game's multiplayer don't seem to get along too well.

Lead and Gold is available for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 and was developed by Fat Shark Development

Steve Sawyer
Editor in Chief
SteveS@GameGavel.com

Submit "Lead And Gold Review" to Digg Submit "Lead And Gold Review" to del.icio.us Submit "Lead And Gold Review" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lead And Gold Review" to Google

Updated 06-09-10 at 07:51 by SteveSawyer

Tags: ps3, xbox360 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Retro Gaming RoundUp