View RSS Feed

Alexandre Guimond

Sega is looking into porting Saturn games to the PSN and XBLA.

Rate this Entry

Well, are we ready for the future? According to Sega, we might as well be; After the announcement that Sega Dreamcast games would make the jump on PSN and XBLA. The company has announced that they are “looking into” the possibility of porting several Sega Saturn classics, to Sony’s and Microsoft’s digital distribution services.

It’s not entirely clear on which titles will be re-released, but it’s definitely good news for any fans of Sega's underdog console. However, there are few things we would like to see explained, and looked upon.

As a Sega Saturn enthusiast myself, I have some concerns about which titles will be available, and if whether or not, we will have access to the Japanese titles as well. The console line-up in North America was “OK”, but it wasn’t anything spectacular either.

Another big problem with porting Sega Saturn games to any consoles is that, it needs to be played from emulation. Many of the Sega Saturn ports on PSP for example, were the raw files took from the original games releases ,and ran on a special emulator. The hardware of the Sega Saturn was put together really fast, so the performance of the console isn't easily reproduced on its modern hardware counterparts. Slowdowns and freezing might be a huge problem to deal with, once the porting start becoming a reality.

It has been done before, but it will be enthralling to see how Sega will attempt to publish, some of those games. Of course, Sega hasn't confirmed anything for the moment, so let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. However seeing how many attempts for it has been made in the past, it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

More details should be announced by the end of the year, expect some updates around the Tokyo game show this September.

If you want the real deal however, you can buy many of your favorite Sega Saturn games in our "Auctions" tab , whenever you want.

Alexandre Guimond
Assistant Editor

Submit "Sega is looking into porting Saturn games to the PSN and XBLA." to Digg Submit "Sega is looking into porting Saturn games to the PSN and XBLA." to del.icio.us Submit "Sega is looking into porting Saturn games to the PSN and XBLA." to StumbleUpon Submit "Sega is looking into porting Saturn games to the PSN and XBLA." to Google

Updated 06-09-10 at 07:40 by SteveSawyer

Categories
Sony , Microsoft , Industry

Comments

Blah Blah Blah, this sounds nice but I agree with you I need to see a games list first. I grabbed that 1942 Joint Strike for the PSN and enjoyed it so if they bring some of the solid Shoot Em Up's to us i'll be happy.

Retro Gaming RoundUp