View RSS Feed

SteveSawyer

Steve falls in love with Sonic again.

Rate this Entry

The simplest things in life often bring the most pleasure.

Thank God that someone at Sega finally realized the magnitude of that statement as it pertains to Sonic The Hedgehog. For years, Sega has tried, (woefully at that) to take Sonic into the world of 3D much like Nintendo, with their own flagship mascots. But where Mario, and Zelda have thrived in the world of 3D. Sonic hasn't fared so well.

With an abundance of poor Sonic titles that only seemed to follow in the horrid missteps that the Sonic Adventure titles established, and some hit and miss racing titles, things didn't look good for the once unstoppable blue menace. So when I was at E3, and laid eyes on the incredibly lush, and detailed Sonic The Hedgehog 4 booth, my heart did a dance in my chest cavity.

Xbox controllers were the device of choice for the demo, so it wasn't hard to feel right at home. The game itself is almost too good to be true. It's back to it's sidescroller roots, with a heavy coat of paint, and an HD clear coat, and to be completely honest, the throwback graphics in no way looked dated, or archaic. This thing was running like a beast, and looked gorgeous. Even better for me was that all the familiar powerups, and original attacks have made a return, including the fantastic shields that made the first 3 games such a blast.

I'm terribly impressed with the game, and really hope that it hits every platform possible, because I can't think of a single person that wouldn't play and love the game. But ultimately... why the hell did it take Sega ten years to figure this out?

Steve Sawyer
Editor in Chief
SteveS@GameGavel.com

Submit "Steve falls in love with Sonic again." to Digg Submit "Steve falls in love with Sonic again." to del.icio.us Submit "Steve falls in love with Sonic again." to StumbleUpon Submit "Steve falls in love with Sonic again." to Google

Updated 06-09-10 at 07:55 by SteveSawyer

Tags: sega, sonic 4 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Classic / Retro , Nintendo , Sony , Microsoft

Comments

The more previews I read for this one the more excited I get. This is Sonic's year for sure.

Retro Gaming RoundUp