View RSS Feed

indieseoul

High Score: A Short Film about Marathon Gaming.

Rate this Entry
Almost everyone has seen King of Kong A Fistful of Quarters but how many of you have seen High Score? I am always on the search for video game documentaries but even I hadnít heard of this one before. Thank you fellow forum member zxspectrum16k for finding this gem.

If you are expecting to see a copycat version of King of Kong prepare to be surprised. This film actually predates KoK and Chasing Ghosts by a year.

The biggest problem that I had with King of Kong was the film makerís decision to make Billy Mitchell into the cartoon bad guy of the movie. Sure I have heard several interviews with Billy where he comes off sounding pretty arrogant but come on if you had that mullet you would be too!

His mullet scored 10 billion points in Donkey Kong.

In High Score the enemy isnít a cocky self-assured mullet styling video game demi-god itís something more realistic. For a gamer going after a record marathon score the enemy is oneself. Like any marathon the key to winning is to pace yourself and not let your own mind and body betray you. That said the true enemy of the film is more machine than man.

Terminators are quite sexy before they rip off your skull.

Trying to beat a marathon record score is not only about skill it's about the likelihood that something wonít go terribly wrong with your arcade machine. Arcade games especially older ones like Missile Command are bound to have problems when put to a marathonerís test. Itís amazing how well Bill Carlton does in his quest and how poorly the arcade machine responds. I donít want to give too much away but once you see the film you will know what I am talking about.

If you are looking for a short film about marathon gaming this film is most certainly worth watching. I do wish that it had been a bit longer but 52 captivating minutes is better than nothing. High Score is a movie worth adding to your video game documentary collection.

(Since this film came out in 2006 the film leaves you on a bit of a cliff hanger. Never fear look up this film on IMDB and some of your questions will be answered.)

Submit "High Score: A Short Film about Marathon Gaming." to Digg Submit "High Score: A Short Film about Marathon Gaming." to del.icio.us Submit "High Score: A Short Film about Marathon Gaming." to StumbleUpon Submit "High Score: A Short Film about Marathon Gaming." to Google

Updated 16-08-11 at 04:54 by indieseoul

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

How did you watch this - Bit Torrent?
    You can get it on Itunes. Bittorrent is a nice illegal way to watch it.

Retro Gaming RoundUp