View RSS Feed

JoshWright

Marvel VS Capcom 3 - Fate of Two Worlds - The first 12 hours

Rate this Entry
I have said before in previous posts that I am a fighting games fanatic. It should come as no surprise that I've logged hours upon hours in the first two MVC games. The first one is more than likely responsible for failure of no less than two classes in high school. When I heard that a third game was being released, I greatly anticipated its release and followed its development closely.

I picked up MVC- Fate of Two Worlds on the 360. Now, that I have my grubby little hands on it, I'm a little disappointed. The stable of characters is nice, but some of the greats are gone. Fighters like Hayato, and Strider Hiryu are no more, and instead have been replaced by pretty useless second stringers like Taskmaster, and M.O.D.O.K. They got rid of blatant staples like Mega Man, and Gambit. Having no Gambit is a big letdown for me.

So far, the play is just what i'd expected. Where Street Fighter 4 is a very reigned in fighter, this is manic and crazy. Wolverine is like a crack monkey with bowie knives on his hands, and he'll blitz the unholy sweet christ out of you if you don't put a stop to it. The funny thing is that the game itself is more precise than SF 4. It requires you to really know what to do timing wise, as capitalizing on an opponents momentary pause is what will keep you from being whooped on.

A lot of other reviewers have really crawled up MVC's collective ass for being more flash than substance. I don't really get that at all. If you know the series history, that's all the game ever really was. I mean the whole thing was a really brilliant idea on Capcom's part, taking sprites from finished games and plugging them in to an engine they barely had to change at all. That's recycling with purpose, friends. The first two sold like hotcakes, and this one will as well. Its straight up fan pandering at the most blatant level. And it works very very well.

Also, it would be a really good idea for folks to stop expecting developed story lines from fighting games, cause it just isn;t in the cards. Soul Calibur was one of the only fighting games with a really developed story, and it had plot holes you could drive the Death Star through. No, I'm serious. The game was about magic swords and they put frigging Jedi in it. I haven't seen a single shred of real story in MVC 3, and I don't really need to. I don;t play it to understand why Akuma needs to go fist to fist with Thor, God of Thunder. As one sided as that fight could be if scripted, when I Raging Demon his ass, I don;t think about how implausible it is. I just yell "suck it down, blondie" and move on to the next chump.

I like the game a lot and most of my gripes are really topical. I'm just now starting to break out into the online modes, to see what the VS mode has to offer. I'm still getting pwned, but thats not intimidating. I'll learn. I've heard tell new characters will be made available down the road in DLC, which has me stoked. I might get to see my beloved Gambit come back and card trick his way to projectile spammy victory. If your a fan of the first two, you'll like it I promise. It may take some getting used to, but most old vets will pick up the nack very fast.

I knew I was in for the long hall with this one the very first fight I had. I lined up my team of 3 with Akuma, Wolverine, and Cappy. Wolverine was up first, and my opponents were Morrigan , The Hulk, and Magento at the lead. The stage sets up, and Wolverine says " your just not going to win this one, Eric.' To which Magneto replies "how unfortunate for you to have metal bones." Thats classic X-Men right there. I was was hooked.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back to my old air combo-ing, triple switch hyper combo finish skills. I have been making solid runs through the arcade mode, but Galactus is a real pain in the ass. I haven't beat him yet, but I know i will eventually. I'll post more when I get the chance. If we have some other players here on the site, hit me up and we'll go a few rounds. I will warn you, I use Wolverine and Dante, so yanno. At your own risk, and what not.

Submit "Marvel VS Capcom 3 - Fate of Two Worlds - The first 12 hours" to Digg Submit "Marvel VS Capcom 3 - Fate of Two Worlds - The first 12 hours" to del.icio.us Submit "Marvel VS Capcom 3 - Fate of Two Worlds - The first 12 hours" to StumbleUpon Submit "Marvel VS Capcom 3 - Fate of Two Worlds - The first 12 hours" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Retro Gaming RoundUp