View RSS Feed

ryanscribbles

Is Retro Gaming The Way of the Future?

Rate this Entry
After three days of E3 and the last day here, I think an interesting trend has been seen, recurring and (personally) welcomed. Retro gaming is coming back with a vengeance. Now I may not mean retro in the traditional sense of the word but it's easy to see that games are drawing inspiration from the Golden Age of Gaming.

Even though with every E3 and every TGS and every other little expo we get a little farther into the future, we've taken a few steps back this year. But in a good way. The example that stands out most in my mind, as of right now, is the new Mortal Kombat. Now's it easy to see that they have definitely taken a page from the SSIV book and decided to go the 3D/2D way. Which makes the game seem more promising and more intriguing than anything they've released in the past two generations of consoles.

Another great example is the Donkey Kong Country returns. As a kid, DK and DIddy spent numerous hours on my television screen, running across pirate ships and jungles on rhinos because the DK Country games are some of the most solid and fun platformers introduced at that time. Then Donkey Kong 64 switched the formula. As did Donkey Konga. And Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. I think video game companies need to heed to the ancient proverb more often: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I was never excited about the DK games announced at E3 until this year, in which my nerd sense tingled and I actually dusted off my Wii in preparation for the use it will receive.

Now another way I want to highlight "retro" is the fact that they've also announced numerous sequels to games that we haven't seen in a very long time. The oldest, perhaps, being Kid Icarus. Now while we still have to wait for a whole new system to come out before being able to play the new Kid, it still is exciting to know that this character from my very early childhood is finally coming back. Sure, playing Pit in Smash Bros. was cool but this is awesome. I would be okay with a new Game and Watch or new Ice Climbers OR (dare I say) a new Earthbound. Bring the old school back.

My last example will be Twisted Metal X. HOLY SHIT. Did you guys see that trailer at E3? I don't know about you but I'm stoked. I mean, come on! Twisted Metal from the guys who brought us God of War. That's a perfect set up right there.

I think it's important to realize that just because we have the technology to do something different, it doesn't mean we should. A lot of games have shared success because of going back to their retro roots: New Super Marios Bros., Street Fighter IV, and (hopefully) the new Sonic. I know, for me, SNES was a Golden Age for gamers. Bringing back that style of gameplay can only be a good thing.

-Ryanscribbles

Submit "Is Retro Gaming The Way of the Future?" to Digg Submit "Is Retro Gaming The Way of the Future?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is Retro Gaming The Way of the Future?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is Retro Gaming The Way of the Future?" to Google

Comments

Great blog Ryan! It did seem that "retro" inspired titles were all over the place at E3 this year. I certainly noticed it. It was also funny, when I was driving away from the convention center the other day I drove by a Hudson Truck hauling a large trailer that was all decked out in graphics promoting a new Bonks Adventure game. But when I hit up Hudson on the show floor no mention of it? Did you happen to come across anything regarding a new Bonks Game? That will be great I hope. I also noticed that someone has brought Battle Chess back. It was being shown on a PS3 so that will def be a pickup for me when it comes out. I've always loved me some Battle Chess! And I will also be picking up probably most of the 3DS launch titles including of course, Kid Icarus. And DKC is a no-brainer for me. That was the franchise that finally turned me from a Sega Fanboy who was praising the Sega Genesis over the SNES over to the SNES. That is when I learned that you can love more than one system manufacturer I skimmed past the Twisted Metal (was never a personal fav of mine) display although I did notice and think cool - they are reviving it. And the updated "oldskool" Sonic has me just as excited as DKC! Tons of retro gaming goodness will be coming out. No matter if you prefer the modern day stuff or the retro inspired classics, the next year is going to be another memorable year for us gamers!
    Thanks!
    And yes! I did hear of the new Bonk game. I believe I saw something about it in Nintendo Power. It's called Bonk: Brink of Extinction and it's going to come out on WiiWare, XBL, and the PSN. The plot has something to do with a comet headed towards Earth and Bonk trying to stop it.

Should be cool. And yeah, Twisted Metal is going to be dope.

Retro Gaming RoundUp