View RSS Feed

SteveSawyer

Breaking news! Valve now steals! (Updated! 11-17-10)

Rate this Entry

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED! ALL YOUR IDEAS WILL BECOME VALVE'S!!!!!!!

(Scroll to the bottom for the latest update.)

You know, for a company that likes to pride itself on supporting it's community and fans it's pretty sad that they had to rip off a small time Etsy designer through the incredibly lame, and still-not-thinkgeek gaming gear merchandise site, GlitchGear.com for something as silly as health packs. Like it was that impossible for Valve to contact the poor girl that made them first? That's absolutely ridiculous after their giant much ado for their Mannconomy update, where they were more than able to compensate designers for their work. For shame Valve, and Glitch. But don't just take my word for it, check out the links for yourself, and behold the shameless stealing in action!

http://www.glitchgear.com/gamer_gear...mart&Itemid=30

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/37304655

If you looked at both those links, it's more than shameless stealing, it's just plain pathetic, and lazy. I think the only thing original about Glitch's pack are the splatters of blood on the pack. Wow, I'm so blown away by your originality guys. Give me a break.

The interesting thing, is that those Health Packs made by the Etsy designer have been in existence for well over a year. While she may not hold a trademark over the Left 4 Dead IP itself, it's pretty damn obvious what Glitch has done here. I even have it on good authority that Glitch tried to purchase one of her packs from her store months ago, before their listing went up. Wow. That's some evil shit right there.

I knew corporate greed and evil was alive and well, but the fact that Valve is guilty of it, is pretty damn disappointing. We've reached out to Valve for comment, but no one has reached us yet to counter our claims of them being in league with thieves, so we're sticking with it.

So if anyone from GlitchGear or Valve would like to explain their new corporate policy of being giant asses, GameGavel.com would be more than happy to hear it. Or ridicule their explanations. It depends on the answer they give us I suppose.

(UPDATE!)
Glitch has now changed the image for the pack when you click on the direct link. Maybe this is a sign that there is some bona-fide a dealins a goin on, as my pop would say. But, I don't want to deprive my readers of what they did, so I took the liberty of screengrabbing the original image while it was up, and I post it here for your viewing pleasure!

(UPDATE! 11-17-10)
We got in touch with sindeegee, the creator of the Health Packs, and received this response.

“It turns out Glitch never had the exclusive rights from Valve to make a Health Pack based on the Left 4 Dead IP, and they were pretty much making the whole thing up. I've since done everything Valve has asked to make my own Health Packs legal, and appreciate the tremendous community backup I got on this.”

So there you have it folks. Valve aren't the ones who are guilty of horrendous thievery, GlitchGear.com is. Call it intuition, but something didn't smell right from the get go... Valve has a tremendous track record of good will, and well groomed public appeal that would have been endangered by something silly like this. However, what still remains unexplained, is why Glitch would choose to start a war over a product that's predicated on a lie. Especially when that lie puts another company and their reputation at stake.

You can find the new “IP Friendly” Health Packs on Cindy's Etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62128152/health-pack

Steve Sawyer
Editor in Chief
SteveS@GameGavel.com

Submit "Breaking news! Valve now steals! (Updated! 11-17-10)" to Digg Submit "Breaking news! Valve now steals! (Updated! 11-17-10)" to del.icio.us Submit "Breaking news! Valve now steals! (Updated! 11-17-10)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Breaking news! Valve now steals! (Updated! 11-17-10)" to Google

Comments

Glad to hear it got worked out, at least for the most part. I still use mine daily, and I love it.

Retro Gaming RoundUp