View RSS Feed

SteveSawyer

Zombie Driver Review

Rate this Entry

Driving and I have a checkered past. I don't much care to do it, and if and when I do, I have to put up with Los Angeles as the setting to do so. It's an infuriating, and terrifying experience to say the least. But I can imagine that the experience of driving would be so much better if I got to mercilessly plow through zombies whenever I got behind the wheel. And there hasn't been a Carmageddon game for ages.

Thank God for Zombie Driver. This game picks up where my mind, and Carmageddon leaves off, and combines two things America loves the most, the undead and fast cars. But it does so with some mixed results. The first thing you'll notice is the bird's eye perspective. Heavily reminiscent of GTA, and GTA 2, this top down perspective doesn't seem lend itself well to driving, and some of the same problems that could plague a session of the aforementioned games start to crop up pretty fast. Because of your limited field of view you will find yourself crashing more than a fresh install of Windows ME. And while the majority of the time it ends with mostly benign results, there are occasions that you can inadvertently put yourself in a literal dead end, being swarmed by masses of the living challenged, who despise nothing more than a car with pristine body work.

But it's not all bad by any means. For the most part, every other idea in the game fires on all cylinders. The game presents you with the pretty basic task of driving through the zombie infested city, and picking up survivors. Each successful mission yields you a cash reward, and you'll some side work, and other bonuses than can help you to line your wallet. All of this pocket loot, can then be poured into your cars, and weapons. It's worth mentioning that the guns while seemingly always out of ammunition pack a hell of a punch, and with the ability to upgrade your weapons and vehicles, there's always incentive to rack up kills, and complete side missions. The vehicle upgrades are a little less noticeable, but they change enough to be relevant, and not just an excuse to lose in-game cash haphazardly.

Ultimately I can't say I spent a tremendous amount of time upgrading my cars, because the game does a pretty good job of simply replacing your car every couple of levels, and then before you know it. It's already over. I mean, you could probably beat the game in an afternoon, or over a lazy casual weekend. So obsessing over whether or not you're upgrading correctly is probably an auxiliary concern at best, but it's nice to know that the mechanic is there, and not just a placeholder.

At it's best you will find moments when you are careening through parked cars, picket fences, and body parts in an explosive orgy of bullets, and brain matter. It's the stuff dreams are supposed to be made of. And this happens often enough for me to say it was worth the ten dollar price of admission. So buy the game. Play the game. Enjoy the game. But if the devs read this, and there is a sequel to be found here... then please consider ditching the bird's eye schtick.

Steve Sawyer
Editor in Chief
SteveS@GameGavel.com

This review was made possible by

Submit "Zombie Driver Review" to Digg Submit "Zombie Driver Review" to del.icio.us Submit "Zombie Driver Review" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zombie Driver Review" to Google

Comments

Retro Gaming RoundUp