View RSS Feed

SteveSawyer

Razor2: Hidden Skies Review

Rate this Entry

Japan sucks. Well for the most part anyhow. I don't say this from experience mind you, I only say this because their culture baffles the hell out of me. Their movies are odd to me, I seriously still don't get anime or manga, and don't even get me started on the subjects of hentai, visual kei, Evangelion, and Shenmue. Weird. But with all of that being said, if all of those things simply existing were the necessary cultural catalyst to produce the modern day bullet hell. I'll take it. I love bullet hell games so much that I will tolerate a completely unreasonable amount of psychological and oftentimes self inflicted physical pain in order to play one.

And so it was with that sense of sadomasochism that I installed Razor2: Hidden Skies. Razor2 Hidden Skies Is a top down bullet hell that is chock full of all the genre standards. Tons of enemies on screen at all times, a never ending stream of projectiles that are all impossible to dodge, and plenty of upgrades, and auxiliary weapons to smash all your foes into tiny little disintegrated bits. Where Razor2 Hidden Skies differs from the typical tripe is in the upgrades menu that you will be greeted with between missions. In your hangar you will be able to purchase and upgrade new equipment for your little flying death dispensary. Although I found that weapon purchases, and equipment purchases were a little limiting simply because it's hard to scrape together enough cash between missions, it's extremely useful to be able to play around with your guns, and try out different weapon combinations. But none of it will help. At all. You will die in this game so many times, that you'll think there's something wrong with you. You will question your faith in humanity, and in yourself. But most of all you will question your ability to game. Make no mistake, even if you are somehow super-humanly good at bullet hell games, this game will make you cry, and you will like it. And if you don't like it, then you should probably man up and stop being such a crybaby.

And the game never does any of that in such a way that feels cheap, you kind of get the feeling that if you could just somehow be 2 upgrades further along in the beginning, that those later levels would be a breeze. As if you are always on the precipice of kicking ass, but never quite there. Instead you have to settle for simply being able to hold your own from level to level, and after a while... that won't be enough. The gorgeously rendered enemies, and their equally fancily rendered bullets will overtake you, and you will receive no pity whatsoever from me or the game. But for those who do stick around for the mind boggling moon spanking they are sure to receive, you will be rewarded with some of the deepest bullet hell gameplay that exists today, and experience a sensation in gaming that hasn't really been felt for over a decade. And that sensation is painful, humiliating defeat. So seriously buy Razor2 Hidden Skies because it's one of the greatest things ever, but also realize that you will never ever beat this game.

Razor2: Hidden Skies is available on Steam for $9.99 and was developed by Invent4 Entertainment

Steve Sawyer
Editor in Chief
SteveS@GameGavel.com

Submit "Razor2: Hidden Skies Review" to Digg Submit "Razor2: Hidden Skies Review" to del.icio.us Submit "Razor2: Hidden Skies Review" to StumbleUpon Submit "Razor2: Hidden Skies Review" to Google

Updated 06-09-10 at 07:48 by SteveSawyer

Tags: razor2, shmup Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Classic / Retro , PC , Editorial

Comments

The soundtrack of the game Razor 2 can be purchased at CD Baby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/RogerioDec

More information on the composer's site:

http://www.rogeriodec.com.br/en
    YOU KNOW WE'VE MADE IT WHEN WE'RE GETTING SPAMMED! OH HELL YEAH!

Retro Gaming RoundUp