View RSS Feed

Editorial

1. Duke Nukem Forever History Lesson & [PAX] Impressions

Thirteen years. Think about that for a minute. Thirteen years. That's more than a decade. Most people on Xbox Live weren't even alive thirteen years ago. We had the N64, the Net Link for the Sega Saturn, and, don't ask why I remember this, those damn Tamagotchis. We also had, probably just as vital as everything else I mentioned (except Tamagotchis. Tamagotchis can go straight to hell), Duke ...

Updated 23-09-10 at 12:24 by Trevor Wagner

Categories
    Microsoft , PC , Industry , Editorial
  2. GameGavel Discusses: Long-term Game Support and DLC

This week on GameGavel Discusses, Kevin Hummons and Anthony Wastella, both of them being writers for GameGavel, are our guests.

They join me to talk about long term support for gaming, DLC in general, and what the current situation is.

Trevor Wagner: Alright, welcome to GameGavel discusses. This week, I've got Anthony Wastella and Kevin Hummons with me.

Anthony ...

Updated 13-08-10 at 09:00 by SteveSawyer

Categories
    Industry , Editorial
  3. GameGavel Discusses: Roger Ebert's "Apology"

This week, GameGavel Discusses talks about Roger Ebert's "apology" for his earlier comments about video games not being art.

This week, Anthony Wastella, fellow GameGavel writer joins me to discuss this apology, and the comments that preceded it.

Trevor Wagner -
    So, pretty much everybody's read Roger Ebert's, now infamous, comments about video games, which in short said that ...

Updated 13-08-10 at 09:55 by SteveSawyer

Categories
    Industry , Editorial
  4. Sometimes, less is more (but not always)

Ever since games progressed past the level of Pong, almost every game has some sort of a storyline. At the time of the NES, some stories were only briefly mentioned on the box or in the manual, requiring the player to use their imagination to piece together the story. Around the time of the SNES, stories were told through dialog, scripted scenes, etc. Since then, that's roughly been the way things have worked. Nowadays, cinematic cutscenes are added to the way that players experience the stories ...

Updated 13-08-10 at 09:55 by SteveSawyer

Tags: plot, story Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Industry , Editorial

Retro Gaming RoundUp