Blog Comments

I can't say I'm a huge fan of MvC, but I *AM* a huge fan of Capcom vs. SNK. That game on the Dreamcast was amazing (despite the god-awful DC dpad). The "vs" series as a whole has been really good.
    I do feel that you are correct on MvC bein a spinoff of SF but the game has come to be its on thing. It was a hard decision but I feel that the success of MvC and quality of the franchise beats SF for the number one spot.
    Pretty good list, but I'd have to put Street Fighter series #1. Also I think a couple of 3D franchises deserve to be on the list:

Marvel vs. Capcom - great games to be sure, but as a franchise it's just a spinoff from SF and doesn't have *that* many games in it.
    Killer Instinct - I love the games, but there weren't that many. The franchise died pretty early

5) Super Smash Bros - unique oddball fighter that sold a bajillion copies on each platform it touched.
    4) Virtua Fighter - Long running, ground-breaking 3d fighter. Lots of quality games
    3) Mortal Kombat - I agree w/ Dhalamar, it kind of died after 3, but Armageddon was pretty good and the new one looks promising.
    2) Soul Calibur - debut was stunning, and has had many successful iterations. More fun for me than VF, so edges it out slightly.
    1) Street Fighter - the one and only, true King.
    For the record, Mortal Kombat ceased to be interesting starting with MK3 ... with the exception of Shaolin Monks, but that's not a fighting game. That's a beat 'em up. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhalamar
    The modern versions require Steam, but that game came out long before Steam ever did if you get ahold of one of THOSE releases. heh

And I personally think the graphics have held up beautifully. That old source engine still has a hell of a lot of "steam" in it (no pun intended :P )

LOL so true....

Quote Originally Posted by JestersChef83
    Nice opening with the friend dialog. This blog brought back memories of good times due to the solid foundations of the HL franchise - former CS CAL-m guy here...and it also reminded me of my hatred for Steam, lol. I'm sure it's gotten better since I last cared to use it, but since then, I've transitioned back to my roots in console gaming. Still would rather have a mouse and keyboard over dual analog joysticks for ANY fps tho!

Look forward to reading more of your stuff - even reviews of 6+ year old games!
    I have meet many people throughout the past years playing on Steam games (especially CS). Oh it has a bit and it just got updated since macs now support steam LOLLOLOLOL...gaming on mac is the in thing but my pc will keep beating through the masses on TF2 !
    Nice opening with the friend dialog. This blog brought back memories of good times due to the solid foundations of the HL franchise - former CS CAL-m guy here...and it also reminded me of my hatred for Steam, lol. I'm sure it's gotten better since I last cared to use it, but since then, I've transitioned back to my roots in console gaming. Still would rather have a mouse and keyboard over dual analog joysticks for ANY fps tho!

Look forward to reading more of your stuff - even reviews of 6+ year old games!
    The modern versions require Steam, but that game came out long before Steam ever did if you get ahold of one of THOSE releases. heh

And I personally think the graphics have held up beautifully. That old source engine still has a hell of a lot of "steam" in it (no pun intended :P )

Retro Gaming RoundUp