View RSS Feed

Classic / Retro

1. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack - The Keyboard Hack

Well, no series of blogs about MAME would be complete without mention of the keyboard hack, and though it is a little bit dated nowadays and there really isn't that much need for them nowadays, they can still be done if you want to make a low budget Arcade Cab control panel.

First off, what is a keyboard hack? Well, if you think back to when I described configuring my control panel and getting the arcade controls to interact with my Windows PC, then there is every chance you’ll remember ...
    Categories
    Classic / Retro
  2. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack – MAME Cab Part 5

What's this? Part 5? How can there be a part 5 when we've done the cab refurb and we've got all our emulators running? Well, finishing touches my friend, finishing touches. Nobody walking up to an arcade cab wants to start messing about with a mouse or typing dos commands on a keyboard to run a game, so we need a frontend to act as an interface between us and the games and to present them in such a way that our simple arcade controls can select an emulator, selects a game and then play it. First ...
    Categories
    Classic / Retro
  3. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack – MAME Cab Part 4

So we’ve got the hardware side of things sorted and its time to look at the software side of the project. Now it would be very easy to get bogged down in the details and the commands and switches involved, but before you click the Back button I promise to avoid doing that, and I’ll try to stick to the theory of it where possible.

Obviously the first thing I needed to do was to install the Operating System and all of the drivers then update and patch it using Window Update, though ...
    Categories
    Classic / Retro
  4. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack – MAME Cab Part 3

So it’s time to move on to one of the most important parts of the build, the Control Panel. Without doubt this is what caused me the most problems. Not only because it has to be right, it is after all the part that everyone sees and uses to interact with the cab, it is how you control not only the games but also the Frontend when launching the games. It could be described as what one might refer to as important.

There are two elements to the control panel, there are the actual buttons, ...
    Categories
    Classic / Retro
  5. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack – MAME Cab Part 2

Q. What’s black and sits in the corner of a stable in Yorkshire for years?
    A. My new arcade cab project.

So here it is in all its glory. Well, excuse the condition but it had been living in North Yorkshire, and that would test the mettle of any man, and indeed the metal too. Do you know any metal men?

Last time I mentioned that the ideal scenario would be to get a cab that was no longer functional then I wouldn’t have the guilt trip of sacrificing a piece of ...
    Categories
    Classic / Retro , Editorial
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Retro Gaming RoundUp