View RSS Feed

UK Mike (miner2049er)

Some of my ramblings.

1. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack – Lest We Forget

How ironic that the Bi-Weekly British Backtrack falls on this day of all days, a day for us to be British and a day for us to look back.

There are ways to connect this to gaming, which is ostensibly what this blog is about, but it’s also about being British and all that being British entails, and I don’t just mean bad teeth and drinking tea at 3pm. I mean British tradition, British quirks and some general wackiness along the way, but this time around it is of course 11/11/11, or as ...
    Categories
    Editorial
  2. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack – Halloween

So I had a week off work this week and planned a lengthy and inspiring article to round it off, waxing lyrical about the quite recent “Americanisation” of Halloween that has happened in the UK in recent years, turning what was a popular event into a much more commercial and wider celebrated event. It was always the little brother of Bonfire Night but has now overtaken it as kids are putting much more effort into their Trick or Treating and the Health And Safety bods get their hands on Bonfire Night ...
    Categories
    Editorial
  3. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack - Steve Jobs

So a little over a week has gone by and we’ve had time to digest the news of Steve Jobs’ death on October 5th, by his family’s reports a peaceful passing. A peaceful passing that has inspired anything but peace in the wonderful world of the Internet. Apple fanboys are in mourning while others dance on his virtual grave, so why has one man spawned such opposing reactions?

Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs was born on February 24, 1955 in San Francisco to Joanne Carole Schieble, an American ...
    Categories
    Editorial
  4. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack - Donkey Kong Game & Watch

No doubt you’ve heard the saying “If I knew then what I knew now…” Well, there’s a lot to be said for hindsight, and not just what George Benson told us, that it’s 20/20 vision. No, there’s much more to it than that. For starters, like nostalgia, it’s a thing of the past, but not everything from the past has to stay there.

How many things that you had as a child do you still have now? I’m not just talking about asthma or acne, but material possessions like toys and games. Case in ...
    Categories
    Classic / Retro
  5. The Bi-Weekly British Backtrack - The Keyboard Hack

Well, no series of blogs about MAME would be complete without mention of the keyboard hack, and though it is a little bit dated nowadays and there really isn't that much need for them nowadays, they can still be done if you want to make a low budget Arcade Cab control panel.

First off, what is a keyboard hack? Well, if you think back to when I described configuring my control panel and getting the arcade controls to interact with my Windows PC, then there is every chance you’ll remember ...
    Categories
    Classic / Retro
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Retro Gaming RoundUp