PDA

View Full Version : suggestion: chapter markers

Brumisator
27-10-14, 05:45
Hey UKmike, you lazy bastard!
Good, now I have your attention (sorry about lazy bastard, you lazy bastard).

Remember how haters hate the overly long podcast, while us smarter and more beautiful people love the 4-8 hours a month format?

How about making life easier for us better people and rope in some plebs while you're at it by adding chapter markers so we can skip ahead easily between segments. Perhaps we sometimes want to binge-listen to only a bunch of top 10 segments, or just find all instances of James on James.

I've noticed that several other podcasts have moved to an "enhanced" format, with chapter markers embedded in the mp4 or mp3 ID3 files as metadata. Since you already take the time to fastidiously add the timestamp for each segment in the show notes, it shouldn't be too much of an extra step to include it in the metadata so audio players can recognise it.

Here's a set of tools (https://auphonic.com/blog/2013/07/03/chapter-marks-and-enhanced-podcasts/) you can use to accomplish this. We would be ever so grateful for your effort.

miner2049er
27-10-14, 11:39
I did look into this probably about 2 years into the show, and it just wasn't worth it and the tools were flaky at best.

You can also switch the album art as well and I got it working but it was too much effort on top of already considerable effort.

If the tools you suggest yet didn't link to are any good then I'll give it a go.

Nurmix
28-10-14, 05:06
I did look into this probably about 2 years into the show, and it just wasn't worth it and the tools were flaky at best.

You can also switch the album art as well and I got it working but it was too much effort on top of already considerable effort.

If the tools you suggest yet didn't link to are any good then I'll give it a go.

What you said (been asked this one about The Intellivisionaries as well). I suggested if anyone wanted to volunteer to do that and host it somewhere else I'd be good with it - seeing as the 100+ hours spent on podcasting per month is enough for me - but I got crickets in return... Odd, that.

Brumisator
28-10-14, 01:07
Here's a set of tools (https://auphonic.com/blog/2013/07/03/chapter-marks-and-enhanced-podcasts/)

I deviously hid the hyperlink in the text, in the words "Here's a set of tools". I am quite the mastermind when it comes to hiding things.

If it's flaky technology and makes you rip your hair out, then no sweat, no big loss. I didn't know if you'd heard of it at all.
We're grateful for all the work you already put into this.

Nurmix
28-10-14, 05:53
It's actually a neat idea, but based on what I've read, it's not quite as easily implemented as I would like. And it can cause issues with older stand-alone mp3 players. I'd love to see an easy, workable solution. In the mean time, with The Intellivisionaries (just like UK Mike does with RGR), I put a detailed timeline of every section in the description of the show - so it shows up on your smart phone / iPod / et al when listening. People can skip to any particular time to get to the section they want to hear. And that same timeline is also right below the web player on each episode page of our site. Not perfect, but it works.

But yeah, if you find a "turn-key" solution, Brumi, let me know.

miner2049er
28-10-14, 11:40
I deviously hid the hyperlink in the text, in the words "Here's a set of tools". I am quite the mastermind when it comes to hiding things.

Aaah, that will be the screwed up css hiding it.