PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pack Rat

Chris++
20-05-14, 11:10
Hey, Mike -- I thought you might enjoy Peter Pack Rat, a game that I never saw back in the '80s, but first encountered in MAME. It's a rarely mentioned but incredibly fun 1985 Atari arcade game.

It's a non-scrolling platform game in which you run around the screen, collecting pieces of garbage and bringing them back to your pack-rat hideout.

Each level is structured differently, and the character can crawl through tight spots, as well as jumping in the more open areas. The game looks phenomenal, almost like a cartoon, and it plays impeccably. Something tells me that Atari was hoping for another mascot with this one. That didn't happen, but they got a great game out of it!

retroshaun
25-05-14, 02:20
PPR is a great game! I played it on hardware quite a lot at various expos... and it plays really well in mame too. A good suggestion!

Nurmix
25-05-14, 05:41
Hmm, never played this one. Looks quite good. I'll have to load it up on my MAME cab this weekend. Thanks.

retroshaun
26-05-14, 02:58
Pretty collectible hardware too - its Atari System 1 so its basically a conversion kit for System 1 cabs (Marble Madness, Indiana Jones, Roadrunner etc)

Chris++
28-05-14, 12:03
Thanks -- and for the information as well. That's one of the cool things about MAME, or even finding an old gaming magazine from the '80s that one hasn't read before. One stumbles upon a genuinely fun arcade game once in a while and thinks, "How the hell did I miss this?"

GameGavel
30-05-14, 03:51
Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey, Mike -- I thought you might enjoy Peter Pack Rat, a game that I never saw back in the '80s, but first encountered in MAME. It's a rarely mentioned but incredibly fun 1985 Atari arcade game.

It's a non-scrolling platform game in which you run around the screen, collecting pieces of garbage and bringing them back to your pack-rat hideout.

Each level is structured differently, and the character can crawl through tight spots, as well as jumping in the more open areas. The game looks phenomenal, almost like a cartoon, and it plays impeccably. Something tells me that Atari was hoping for another mascot with this one. That didn't happen, but they got a great game out of it!

Chris++
31-05-14, 02:30
Thanks for the suggestion!

My pleasure -- thanks for considering it, and I hope you have a blast trying it out.

retroshaun
01-06-14, 04:11
You missed this one because, frankly, it was extremely uncommon. Now pretty highly sought after too.