PDA

View Full Version : Intellivisionaries episode 8 is up!

rickreynolds
27-04-14, 08:36
We take a “deep dive” into Sea Battle, have an interview with Blue Sky Ranger Dave Akers about his past and current Intellivision games, and also interview Ken Smith, programmer of Sea Battle (and other early Intellivision games). Plus we have our usual news, listener feedback and mentions. Chris Bidwell from Now You’re Playing With Podcast guest hosts, and Rick begins a new modern day Intellivision programming segment.

Check it out: http://www.intellivisionaries.com

Vipp
30-04-14, 03:30
Another brilliant episode! Lot's to commend on this one chaps but mainly the interview and Ricks new segment on programming. let's keep the programming section every episode Rick it is fantastic.

For any listeners that wanted to see what Nurmix sent to me here is a very tired me talking in the depressive way i do Haha, trust me im 1000% more excited about this gift than i appear to be, i work hard and maybe should have waited to do the video. nevermind. here it is.

http://youtu.be/uQ9Sinj3HDs

Nurmix
30-04-14, 04:57
Very cool! Glad the package made it there intact. Enjoy the games, man.

Here are a few sites for the manuals and overlays:
http://intv.mphokie.com/
http://www.intvfunhouse.com/
http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/instructions.shtml

And I love SNAFU, by the way. One of the first home games with cool chip music. All the games I sent you were extras. But yeah, some appear to have seen very little use. I think some kids didn't bother with the overlays (or inlays, I've heard them referred to as both, but I've always used overlay). You and Kerry will have to give SNAFU a try, as well as Triple Action Biplanes. Very simple, but very entertaining pick up and play games. Check the manuals for the game variations.

rickreynolds
30-04-14, 11:27
Another brilliant episode! Lot's to commend on this one chaps but mainly the interview and Ricks new segment on programming. let's keep the programming section every episode Rick it is fantastic.

Wow, thanks for that Vipp!! I honestly don't know what to think about that segment, but hearing that someone likes it is very nice!

I also think I just found why the audio in that segment sounds so terrible! I think my Mac was ignoring my podcasting microphone and just recording audio via the built-in mic! *doh*! I'll do my best to make sure that never happens again.

I thought it sounded strange, but I thought that maybe my recording always sounds weird and Nurmix does some kind of cleanup on it during his editing (???). But no, I think it was the wrong microphone. :(

Nurmix
01-05-14, 01:20
I also think I just found why the audio in that segment sounds so terrible! I think my Mac was ignoring my podcasting microphone and just recording audio via the built-in mic! *doh*! I'll do my best to make sure that never happens again.

I thought it sounded strange, but I thought that maybe my recording always sounds weird and Nurmix does some kind of cleanup on it during his editing (???). But no, I think it was the wrong microphone. :(

Yeah, that's what it sounded like to me, but it was still usable, so I didn't think it was necessary to have you re-record it. And time was short. I did edit it some, and use some EQ, but it still had that somewhat "hollow / distant" mic tone. No big deal, still a good segment.

We had audio issues with the Dave Akers interview as well (I think it was probably an air conditioner or something running in the background at his place), but if the content is good enough, it doesn't matter much.

Too bad "George" fell asleep during your segment though, Rick...
:BLEH:

rickreynolds
01-05-14, 01:37
Ha! I did a "Wait, what was that?" when I heard it for the first time. Hilarious! :)

I think Odyssey 2 was getting a little attitude as well this past month...

Burgertime
01-05-14, 02:28
Yeah, the Odyssey 2 is really starting to dislike us....more than it already did. :p
Your segment got me to understand how the programming for the system works. There's knowing, and then there's putting it into practice, and I'd be curious to attempt something myself to see if I can program. A video segment would be really interesting.

Nurmix
01-05-14, 04:27
Yeah, Mr. O2 was particularly outspoken this month - even insulting co-hosts and guests (he called Chris' Sea Battle partner a dumb ass). The nerve!

focusrs
01-05-14, 10:38
maybe mr O2 will be happier in the near future :)

Nurmix
01-05-14, 04:47
maybe mr O2 will be happier in the near future :)

Yes, I understand he is in talks to have is own show. He's apparently quite demanding, and difficult to deal with though...

chrisbid
02-05-14, 01:17
he constantly calls me a turkey when i play smithereens!

Nurmix
02-05-14, 09:15
he constantly calls me a turkey when i play smithereens!

Talking down to people really is his forte.

focusrs
03-05-14, 12:31
Mr O2, the only classic game console with Attitude :)

Diagamblic
25-05-14, 05:45
I'm always bragging about you guys! Always a fantastic show. We're doing an interview with Keith Robinson this week, and a show about the intellivision for episode 22.It should be interesting, as I've only got the emulated stuff, Dub has his intellivision and all of his games, and Intellivision Lives! on the DS and Sweet I believe has the PS2 collection.

I was hoping to get a bumper from one or all of you for the show. Would that be doable? Maybe even something more if you guys want to get involved?

rickreynolds
25-05-14, 09:48
Wow, I'd love to participate in any way that you guys think would make the show better - up to and including being a guest for all/part of your show. Let me know what you'd like.