PDA

View Full Version : TurboExpress handheld ... worth $175?

ComputerSpaceFan
06-01-14, 02:20
I don't have any TurboGrafx games but I have seen the Turbo Express on a few videos and was curious about it. Yesterday I spotted one in my nearby retro store and I am thinking I might want to buy it but the store wants $175 for it.
Is that a good price? I assume it's fully working, this store has a good reputation. I didn't actually try it out. Are the TurboGrafx games worth getting in to for this handheld? I already have several handhelds so I'm on the fence about buying this thing.
Or is it rare and I should jump on it?

focusrs
06-01-14, 03:00
It is a awesome system, I love my to death and play it all the time (well at least when my wife lets me have it back after hiding it from me, I drive her nuts playing Galaga 90 all the time :) ).

The most typical problem these had were sound issues due to rotting capacitors. It is a easy fix. The other problem is some develop dead pixels. Mine has two, but they are not very noticable.

There are some really good TurboGrafx games. Here are some of my favs in my collection.

Galaga 90
Devils Crush (awesome pinball game)
Bloody Wolf
R Type
Blazing Lazers
Time Cruise
Bomberman
Raiden
Legendary Axe II

It if has good sound (not real low when you turn the volume dial all the way up) and has a good screen it may be worth it.

retroshaun
07-01-14, 04:49
Its a great system as Focus says. I think 175 is a tad high... I think I paid about 100 UKP for mine quite some time ago but its mint/boxed. Maybe try to barter them down a little and of course get a demo first.

Burgertime
09-01-14, 02:14
Yeah, $175 (to me) is an insane price for an older used handheld system.
This has me wondering how much the store near me is selling one for.

focusrs
09-01-14, 10:31
Yeah, $175 (to me) is an insane price for an older used handheld system.
This has me wondering how much the store near me is selling one for.

It was cheap burgertime, I bought it this week while stalking you for the Focus on the Podcast show :)

Burgertime
10-01-14, 01:03
Lol are you actually in the area right now, or where you going to end up being here later this month?