PDA

View Full Version : Intellivisionaries episode 3 is up!

rickreynolds
21-11-13, 05:14
New episode time! We review Microsurgeon and have interviews with both William Moeller (owner/operator/whatever for Elektronite) and Rick Levine (he programmed Microsurgeon).

These eps keep growing in size! This one weighs in at 3:08. But I doubt long podcasts bother people who frequent GameGavel... :)

Listen online here: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/website_player.html

Show Notes: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/show_notes_ep03.html

Podcast subscription link (via iTunes) can be found at the main page: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/

GAHH!! I called it episode 4 in the title! Ha! It's episode 3.

I'm working on prep for episode 4 and had that buzzing around my (apparently empty) head this morning!

* EDIT: Fixed it for you, Rick! I added a Show Notes link too (Nurmix)

Vipp
21-11-13, 06:15
I could use a pick me up, i have this downloaded and ready to go. Thanks guys and keep up the great work.

Nurmix
21-11-13, 09:24
Oops! Just found a little mistake in the show (late night editing when you're tired isn't the best idea)...

During the Rick Levine interview, I play an Imagic TV commercial, and then right after it, I accidentally replayed a small section of his interview that came before the commercial. Not a big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

rickreynolds
21-11-13, 09:27
Oops! Just found a little mistake in the show (late night editing when you're tired isn't the best idea)...

During the Rick Levine interview, I play an Imagic TV commercial, and then right after it, I accidentally replayed a small section of his interview that came before the commercial. Not a big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

Yep, I noticed that also. It isn't long, so it just made me shake my head a bit.

So yeah, YOU'RE FIRED! William and I will take over doing the sound from here!! Right William?

William?

*crickets*

Um, nevermind. Maybe we'll just let Nurmix keep doing the audio after all!! Yeah, he's doing a great job! I didn't even notice the goof!

What goof?!?!

Nurmix
21-11-13, 09:44
Haha!

The problem comes from my process of taking the raw interview (or our group segments), running through the whole thing to clean it up, and cut out the fluff. After that, I typically break it into sections, and normalize and/or boost the audio as needed, and save each section in an "EDITS" folder for that segment. I must have saved the section before the commercial, then forgot to clip that from the continuation section. And when I go into Cubase to arrange the whole production, and import the various segments, that small error slipped past me. I'll be more careful about that in the future... maybe simplify my methodology somewhat.

As an aside... I made adjustments to the audio in this episode. I used compression on ALL of our talking segments, and the interview segments. Compression basically evens out the level; lowering the loud stuff and boosting the quiet stuff. I don't use it on the music and other sound effects, as it can ruin the dynamics.

I also boosted the overall "output" of the master file during mix down / rendering. I don't want it to be distorted, but I wanted to boost the level just a tad, as I did receive an email from a listener saying he noticed the level was a bit lower than other podcasts he listens to.

rickreynolds
21-11-13, 10:00
I didn't notice any sound issues outside of the connection that Rick Levine was talking on. Definitely background noise on that, but I assume that was inevitable due to the kind of connection he had.

I've heard other podcasters talking about each of them recording their own audio and then mixing that later. Would that help you in terms of volume levels?

Burgertime
22-11-13, 12:59
Yep, I noticed that also. It isn't long, so it just made me shake my head a bit.

So yeah, YOU'RE FIRED! William and I will take over doing the sound from here!! Right William?

William?

*crickets*

Um, nevermind. Maybe we'll just let Nurmix keep doing the audio after all!! Yeah, he's doing a great job! I didn't even notice the goof!

What goof?!?!
Oh sure, try and get a hold of me when I'm sleeping lol.

I'll take the "goof" to be the same as when a TV show comes back from commercials, and they play the last 5 or so seconds from before the commercials. Haven't heard it yet, but I'm assuming it actually is small enough to make that comparison.

Nurmix
22-11-13, 01:54
Oh sure, try and get a hold of me when I'm sleeping lol.

I'll take the "goof" to be the same as when a TV show comes back from commercials, and they play the last 5 or so seconds from before the commercials. Haven't heard it yet, but I'm assuming it actually is small enough to make that comparison.

It's about 60 seconds. In thinking back, it was most likely because I really chopped his interview up, cutting out most of the Truckin' stuff to use in a future episode. I had so many edited clips I lost track of that little bit.

And Rick, no issues with our levels the way we do it now. I think Mr. Levine was using a cheap headset / mic (might have been wireless too) and as he moved around it got buzzy. I mentioned it to him early in the recording, but he wasn't able to correct it, and I felt the lower quality was a worthwhile sacrifice for the content. I know you agree, as will our listeners.

gavv
05-12-13, 08:41
I'm through the first half of the show so far, loved the Elektronite interview (though the mix on the D2K audio over top of it near the beginning was way too loud imho).

Nurmix
06-12-13, 05:53
I'm through the first half of the show so far, loved the Elektronite interview (though the mix on the D2K audio over top of it near the beginning was way too loud imho).

Thanks Gavv. I was making a point about the sampled Donkey Kong sounds, so I bumped up the volume on it a bit. That said, when editing and assembling a 3+ hour podcast into the wee hours of the night, it's tough to make everything perfect..... Just ask UK Mike!

Thanks for listening!

dzfoo
15-12-13, 09:16
I loved the interview with Rick Levine, it provided a lot of insight and context into the development of Microsurgeon. Thanks for doing this.

dZ.

Nurmix
16-12-13, 07:39
I loved the meter view with Rick Levine, it provided a lot of night and context into the development of Microsurgeon. Thanks for doing this.

dZ.

Thanks dZ. It was great to be able to chat with him about all of that. Honestly, I enjoyed hearing it as much as you did!

dzfoo
17-12-13, 12:38
Oh gawd, I just saw that the spell checker massacred my post! What the heck is a meter view? LOL!

Nurmix
18-12-13, 12:19
Oh gawd, I just saw that the spell checker massacred my post! What the heck is a meter view? LOL!

That's OK, I read spell-check-massacred text pretty well - since I frequently post my own!