PDA

View Full Version : Focus on the Prize Contest for August 24th, 2013 - CGE Adventures for the atari 2600

focusrs
13-07-13, 04:36
This is for the limited edition version that has the signed CD, VIP badge, dice, manual and game!! If you missed out on this great release, now is your chance to get it!

To enter, just post a message on what your favorite retro game system is and your favorite game for that system.

Winner will be determined via a roulette wheel spin. Each entry will have a number assigned to it based on the spin of the wheel. The highest score wins! in the event of a tie, a spin off will occur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSrb_Kip8w

Leathco
13-07-13, 05:19
I'll bite.

System - NES

Fave - Final Fantasy

So many great memories of just trying to get a few more level ups to try and beat the next dungeon. Finally beating the game after a couple years of grinding. Reading through the Nintendo Power guide to help me with the more cryptic parts (hey I was 8 at the time).

Diagamblic
13-07-13, 06:33
System: Sega CD
Game: Snatcher

I know what you're thinking. Sega CD? You're favorite retro system? Sure! Today it is. I could have picked Chrono Trigger or Super Metroid on SNES or Super Mario Bros 3 on NES or Tetris on Gameboy.......but no. Snatcher. No other game at the time hit me on an emotional level like Snatcher did. From the Blade Runner-meets-Invasion of the Body Snatchers story to the twists and turns and Konami easter eggs. This game had it all. Humor, Horror, Sci-Fi, Drama, Suspense. Not to mention the best voice acting of any video game up to that point (in my opinion). Do yourself a flavor and play this game.

Spin
13-07-13, 07:44
Favorite system it has to be the Atari 2600
Game = Adventure

Vipp
13-07-13, 07:47
EDIT: i have this game so it's only fair that i withdraw my guess. Best of luck to the others! FocusRS give away some amazing prizes!

Nurmix
13-07-13, 09:57
Favorite system is Intellivision.

Favorite game on that system... tough to pick just one... but I will say Utopia.

By the way, great pick Leathco. I loved Final Fantasy on the NES (and the first two Dragon Warriors as well).

Leathco
14-07-13, 05:41
System: Sega CD
Game: Snatcher

I know what you're thinking. Sega CD? You're favorite retro system? Sure! Today it is. I could have picked Chrono Trigger or Super Metroid on SNES or Super Mario Bros 3 on NES or Tetris on Gameboy.......but no. Snatcher. No other game at the time hit me on an emotional level like Snatcher did. From the Blade Runner-meets-Invasion of the Body Snatchers story to the twists and turns and Konami easter eggs. This game had it all. Humor, Horror, Sci-Fi, Drama, Suspense. Not to mention the best voice acting of any video game up to that point (in my opinion). Do yourself a flavor and play this game.

I like the Sega CD too, the lunar games are awesome, there's a terminator game on there Scott needs to play as it's actually really good, sonic CD is obvious, popful mail is fun, and there's some great homebrew on there as well like sonic remix and an.unreleased Penn and teller game that's surprisingly thoughtful

Gordon Bennett
25-07-13, 09:47
Story time. This will probably end up being quite long, so if you feel the need by all means put the kettle on before reading.

On my twelfth birthday my father arrived at home and asked me to help unload his car. I grumbled but complied. In the boot there was a new Commodore 64, complete with monitor and disk drive. I quite nearly fainted on the spot. My parents and grandparents had pooled their money to buy it without even hinting once that it was on its way.

This morning, I asked my father about that day, if he had had any idea what a deep and profound influence that gift would have on my life. He didn't. All he knew was that I wanted a Commodore 64. I think that holds true for many in our generation whose lives have been transformed by those early micros. So just as your first love is the sweetest, my first computer has endured as my favourite.

Now, to choose a game. I think I'll plump for Alter Ego, released by Activision in 1985. It took me ages to save up enough pocket money to buy it. It was worth it. Alter Ego is a massive game, filling six disk sides with minimal graphics, no sound and boatloads of interactive text. On those six sides there lives a life simulation. The game covers seven stages, corresponding to the seven stages of life. You begin at birth and gradually go through multiple choice scenarios as you grow from infancy to old age and eventually death. Or, if you make the wrong choice, a premature death.

Let me see if I can show you what it looks like.

Here you choose what sort of experience to have next. Choices include family experiences, school or work, friendship, romance and more.

Most of the game looks like this. Read a bit, continue, then choose your emotions and response.

The game tracks your choices and rates you in several categories. You can play as yourself or assume a personality and see how it goes. There are separate male and female versions as well, so if you want to see how the other half lives without surgery and hormone treatments, here's your chance.

For me, the scoring isn't important. What is important is the experience. In a time when most games were still taking cues from the arcades, here was something long, deep, involved and quite personal. There were nights I would sit up for hours playing through a 75 year life, one encounter after another, each taking a single month of that 75 years. By the morning as I headed off to school I actually felt as if in some way I had led an entire life, known an infancy I could never remember, a childhood somewhat like my own yet quite different in its details, and had a sense of the adult life I might eventually lead.

It was truly breathtaking. It was one of my very first glimpses into the potential that computers and games could have to deliver potent and unique experiences. Since then I have known many wonderful games, from three-minute long bursts of furious action to slow, rich experiences that go on for hours or days, yet not a one of them has ever given me such a grand scope of human existence and a piercing intimacy as this simple, text based choose your own life.

mcoster
28-07-13, 09:32
Favorite system: Atari 2600

Favorite game on 2600: H.E.R.O.

It was a tough choice...

Back on the day I played a lot River Raid, Moon Patrol, Keystone Kapers, Jungle Hunt, Seaquest, Enduro...

itsreallykevin
16-08-13, 04:36
Favorite System: NES
Favorite Game on NES: Metal Gear

When I first bought my NES, Metal Gear was the other game I bought at the time. It was in Upstate NY, at Toys R Us, and you had to pick the ticket of the items you wanted, then after paying - you would go to the cage to get them. I remember spending the whole evening trying to figure out the game. I still look back and enjoy playing it today!

Diagamblic
16-08-13, 06:00
Metal Gear on NES is great! But, it's missing Metal Gear! Silly. I have a harder time going back to it after beating Metal Gear on MSX (played the re-release on Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence). Everything just makes a little more sense in that version.

Vipp
18-08-13, 12:35
Okay Focus, i was retiring from this contest due to having the game, However! i just finally tracked down my own Atari 2600 from an American guy and guess what... the Atari wont play my PAL cart. So im back in!

The best (and my favorite) retro console is the Sega Genesis/Megadrive and the best game for that which i love is Sonic the Hedgehog 2

man i just love Sega.

Angus MacFrankenstein
24-08-13, 07:19
Game and System: Final Fantasy 6 (renamed Final Fantasy 3 in the United States) on the Super Nintendo

Final Fantasy 6 blew me away when I first played it in the nineties. To me, it was the perfect collision of story, music, imaginative design, and game play; it is one of the most cinematic games I’ve ever played. It was also the first game in which I truly fell in love with the characters. Before this I had played games where you either played as tank or cannon or a spaceship, and the game was all about getting the most points or making it to a further level—but in the world of Final Fantasy 6, the stakes were more personal—I wanted to know the fates of Terra, Locke, Celes, and even Umaro the sasquatch—and this kept me playing until the end.

On a more practical side, Final Fantasy 6 introduced me to the concept of internet walkthroughs (the almighty Mynock’s Guide—the Mynock also wrote a great guide for Chrono Trigger), and demonstrated I could play one game for potentially hundreds of hours, getting a lot of bang for my (limited) buck. (I probably played FF6 to completion at least three times) For the rest of the nineties, I primarily played Square RPGs, and a few strategy games otherwise.

focusrs
25-08-13, 04:38
Here is the video with the winner!! Winner PM me your address so I can mail the prize to you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5sQYZi4lDE&feature=youtu.be

Spin
25-08-13, 07:22
Today is an awesome day!
Thank you very much for putting on this prize.
Sadly I was unable to be around to have the opportunity to even try to get to CGE.
Uncle Sam had other plans for me.
This is a great prize.
Thank again!
Spin AKA Virgil Spinelli

Gordon Bennett
25-08-13, 09:45
Well spun, Spin!

Vipp
25-08-13, 11:49
Well done spin! :) :) :) now you can be in the RGR Lanyard club at expo's.

EDIT: The Lanyard club only has 1 member mate, that's me, Haha no one else is sad enough to join.

focusrs
25-08-13, 02:06
Today is an awesome day!
Thank you very much for putting on this prize.
Sadly I was unable to be around to have the opportunity to even try to get to CGE.
Uncle Sam had other plans for me.
This is a great prize.
Thank again!
Spin AKA Virgil Spinelli

Its going out in Tommorrows mail :) Enjoy!!!!!

Leathco
25-08-13, 10:01
Also great thread, loved reading everyones stories

Spin
04-09-13, 12:14
Todays Mail call was well worth the walk.
Thanks again
Photo to follow.

Spin
04-09-13, 03:59
Thought long and hard.
How can one show gratitude.

focusrs
04-09-13, 04:23
Thought long and hard.
How can one show gratitude.

Awesome!!!!!

Diagamblic