PDA

View Full Version : UKMike chases a world record

miner2049er
29-06-13, 03:58
As I mention in this months' Live News (when I was briefly connected) I had a look at Twin Galaxies' High Scores for the original Gameboy Tetris Game B Level 9 High 5, and lo and behold if I am up there with the scores on there.

In emulation on the PSP I have got a score that would put me third in the table, so I have started filming myself playing it on hardware, not that I'll pay to submit it to Twin Galaxies, but it might be cool to have a record of me getting the score anyway.

Anybody else close to a High Score?

indieseoul
29-06-13, 06:40
You go girl! Take on the champions. UK Mike Tetris High Score champion! By the way emulation is cheating.

focusrs
29-06-13, 08:17
As I mention in this months' Live News (when I was briefly connected) I had a look at Twin Galaxies' High Scores for the original Gameboy Tetris Game B Level 9 High 5, and lo and behold if I am up there with the scores on there.

In emulation on the PSP I have got a score that would put me third in the table, so I have started filming myself playing it on hardware, not that I'll pay to submit it to Twin Galaxies, but it might be cool to have a record of me getting the score anyway.

Anybody else close to a High Score?

Me :)

miner2049er
29-06-13, 10:48
On?

focusrs
29-06-13, 11:11
On?

Original Gameboy (the white brick) and original Tetris Cart :)

miner2049er
29-06-13, 11:24
Cool, on Game B?

focusrs
29-06-13, 11:51
Yep.. last time I played it got around 5k on level 9 high 5

miner2049er
30-06-13, 11:39
Yep.. last time I played it got around 5k on level 9 high 5

5k?

Keep practising. :p

focusrs
30-06-13, 12:04
I needs lots and lots of practice :)

random_dave
01-07-13, 11:24
Does it count if you play it on gamecube gameboy player or Super Gameboy cos you could capture the game feed then nicely, can do PIP with the webcam image of you doing it, and then if not twin galaxy-ing it you could at least stick it on youtube

Or, when you're doing it stick it out on the livestream, tweet that you're about to start it, I know I'd stick it on and watch if i can

Xsplit will let you mix video and images n stuff to do the layout, for streaming or local recording, and then you can have all the RGR branding on it to make it look nice, ala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxEIDkI4kEI

retroshaun
01-07-13, 02:29
I used to have the record for 2600 Defender before they completely redid the site a bunch of years ago and wiped it. Bastards.

Vipp
01-07-13, 03:32
RShaun you should try to take the score back mate, live stream it and we can all watch/drink.

miner2049er
01-07-13, 03:38
Does it count if you play it on gamecube gameboy player or Super Gameboy cos you could capture the game feed then nicely, can do PIP with the webcam image of you doing it, and then if not twin galaxy-ing it you could at least stick it on youtube

I think for TG you have to do it on original hardware but I've got a Gameboy to do it on anyway.

I'm filming sessions but if I find a way to stream it I might.

Vipp
01-07-13, 03:43
that would be great. count me in when you get the stream up and running.

Diagamblic
01-07-13, 04:45
The real challenge would be if UK tried to accomplish the same record after putting Vaseline on the screen.

random_dave
02-07-13, 10:38
I think for TG you have to do it on original hardware but I've got a Gameboy to do it on anyway.

I'm filming sessions but if I find a way to stream it I might.

I need to finish hacking that eeepc webcam onto some glasses so that they can be used to stream google-glass stylee, I reckon that's ideal for handhelds

miner2049er
02-07-13, 10:58
It would be better than the fixed cam I've been using because holding the console so the camera can see it gets uncomfortable.

I could always strap a flipcam to my head.

random_dave
02-07-13, 11:52
looks like you can get replacement netbook webcam boards for a fiver, so i'll prioritise getting a prototype done and testing the viablilty and send em over if it's looking good

retroshaun
02-07-13, 02:42
RShaun you should try to take the score back mate, live stream it and we can all watch/drink.

Its funny I did consider that a while ago and couldn't get close to the score! LOL! I did do it on hardware back in the day but it was before they required full video play throughs. Not sure I can be arsed these days!

All Your Base
02-07-13, 04:56
I could always strap a flipcam to my head.

I've heard about you and your strap-on!

random_dave
03-07-13, 02:19
It's been a slow morning, could do with a soldering iron before i can get a stable feed/pics from it though as the wires are a little fine for twist n tape to be strong enough
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9wqO20OuBrY/UdQjAuqJpKI/AAAAAAAAAsI/Ybd2EtoF7iQ/s800/IMG_20130703_141009.jpg

miner2049er
04-07-13, 03:19
Haha. A good idea but it needs more tape.

saberman
06-07-13, 09:43
I broke the Spectrum Chuckie Egg world record last August, filmed myself doing it and sent my DVD off to the referee who's name I was given. Then Twin Galaxies was bought and my score never made it onto the scoreboard. Now I'd have to pay for the privilege of re-submitting it :-|. I still think I will as it was a lot of time invested before I broke the high score but the whole thing left a bit of a sour taste.

I also have a highest score of 648,860 on Bomb Jack on my MAME machine at home which would be 12th on the Twin Galaxies site although I have a way to go to reach the 50 million top score.

retroshaun
06-07-13, 03:32
What was your Chuckie Egg score? I love that game, used to be pretty good at it on the Beeb back in the day.

drich255
07-07-13, 07:12
UKMike, I thought I was a Tetris Master until I saw the Tetris Documentary (Ecstasy of Order). Thanks for the recommendation. It is still on the free side of Hulu. Those players have unreal reflexes and skills.

I have reached a million points on Tetris DX, but the levels top off at 30 and the speed may not be the same as the NES version. Just looked it up, the record is maxing out the points at 9,999,999 (Harry Hong).

I haven't played the top level of Game B for a while on the original GB Tetris, so I have no idea where my score is at. I am usually just grateful if I manage to clear the 25 lines.

Good luck on your record!

Vipp
08-07-13, 11:15
UK Mike! are you able to get to level 29 on the NES Tetris? im going to do a Tetris blog on the documentary you are talking about on the latest STR: A Free Hot Karl and i want to see level 29.

miner2049er
08-07-13, 11:42
I can't get to level 29, in fact I don't remember where I get to. I'll try this week, but usually I don't do as well on Marathon as on Game B.

I think it's because of the way my enormous brain works.

I like things to be orderly and neat, and that's not always possible in Marathon, so I end up trying to keep the playfield neat rather than just knocking off lines.

I do intend to play some more marathon style though.

saberman
19-07-13, 03:32
What was your Chuckie Egg score? I love that game, used to be pretty good at it on the Beeb back in the day.

It was about 418K. Since then I have got a lot more than that but not video it. I got something like 550K at Play Expo last year. If I decide to pay the money and get the score recognised then I'll put the video of me doing it up on my youTube Channel.

retroshaun
19-07-13, 04:33
It was about 418K. Since then I have got a lot more than that but not video it. I got something like 550K at Play Expo last year. If I decide to pay the money and get the score recognised then I'll put the video of me doing it up on my youTube Channel.

That would be great. I cant remember my high score from back in the day, maybe I will dig it out and give it a go again. How many times through the main set of levels did you get?

saberman
20-07-13, 11:35
That would be great. I cant remember my high score from back in the day, maybe I will dig it out and give it a go again. How many times through the main set of levels did you get?

I got to level 32 when I set the 418K score. That the big bird and double blue birds one you get past there the blue birds go at double speed.

retroshaun
21-07-13, 05:37
I seem to recall I want quite that far - big bird and a couple of walking birds for sure. Need to fire it up again. I was always a fan of the BEEB game at school (in teh computer lab at lunch!) so its still my version of choice.

saberman
21-07-13, 07:41
It is a terrific game although I've been told that it was different on the Beeb. I've been a huge fan of the game since I first played it and that must have been 30 years ago. I know I've seen people get further than I did when I got to 418K way back. In fact I'm sure my cousin could play it for about 3 hours just looking the last 8 screens again and again. I'd be interested to know how you get on if you do dig out the Beeb version?

retroshaun
22-07-13, 02:43
I will let you know! It will be in emulation tho, which probably is a different experience, as my Beeb is safely packed away a few thousand miles from me in an attic in the north east! :-)

saberman
22-07-13, 08:02
It is probably worth having a go at the Beeb and Speccy versions and seeing if there is a difference. I think I had a go on a Beeb version at last years PlayExpo and didn't do too well on it.

retroshaun
23-07-13, 03:15
I think they are very similar game play wise, tho I am sure there will be timing differences, but probably its the controls that will be the main difference especially playing keyboard (which is the only way to go for ChEgg!) I am gonna fire this up at lunch time today!

EDIT: Here's a few differences between versions:

It's fairly apparent that the different machine architectures resulted in ports with different speeds - as well as the overall speed, the relative speeds of the characters and objects including Harry, the hens, Mother Duck and the lifts were different across the Spectrum BBC, Dragon etc. Another well-known notable variation between the two releases involves the physics of Hen House Harry's movement - particularly when jumping - and has led to the long-running debate over which release is better. Most players tend to prefer whichever version they grew up with.

A distinct difference in level layout occurs between the BBC 32K release and the SPECTRUM 48K version on level eight which is loosely based on Donkey Kong's last screen, the rivet level. On the SPECTRUM 48K version, the eggs are placed centrally in the gaps, whereas on the BBC 32K release they are stacked against the edge of a gap. This means it would be defensible to assert that particular level is slightly easier to complete on the BBC 32K once the player has worked out how to bounce from the pair of eggs nearest the highest ladder - leading to the top platform - down to the lowest level, collecting two other eggs along the way.
A difference in game engines results in the behaviour where, on the SPECTRUM 48K release, Harry can only move halfway across lifts on levels that have them tucked up against the edge of the screen - such as level 7. In the BBC 32K version, however, Harry can walk across the full width of the lift. Similarly, the BBC 32K game engine results in the infamous Fall Through Lift behaviour, detailed on the Game Play page.

The SPECTRUM 48K release has a couple of extra colours on screen, a fact which irked some BBC micro users who knew that their machine was just as capable of displaying the extra colours. In recent years, a new patch has been developed for the BBC 32K release which adds the missing colours - see Hacks and Upgrades.

The final, obvious difference is that the SPECTRUM 48K suffers from the infamous Spectrum colour clashes whenever Harry or the birds climb or walk through ladders, eggs or seed.

retroshaun
23-07-13, 06:41
190,230 - 3rd level with 2 chickens and the flying duck. Not bad for a game I didnt play in years.

saberman
24-07-13, 07:24
Pretty impressive, amazingly there isn't an entry on twin galaxies for Chuckie Egg on the Beeb :-|. You could try the specturm version and we could have a king of kong type thing going on :).

retroshaun
24-07-13, 03:01
LMAO! Yeah you know I dont know I ever played the speccy version so I may just do that!

saberman
25-07-13, 07:22
:D so do you want to be Steve Wiebe or Billy Mitchell?

retroshaun
25-07-13, 02:52
I live in Florida... I am Billy without a doubt!!!!

saberman
26-07-13, 06:41
Doh! I wanted to be Billy, I'd have to get a wig and grow a beard though :).

Not getting my record recognised by Twin Galaxies did make me feel a bit like Steve though. All this talk about high scores has made me want to register mine again I might do that this weekend.

retroshaun
28-07-13, 03:08
Go for it!!!!

BTW I met Billy yesterday. Will post more on that in another thread.

saberman
30-07-13, 06:09
Go for it!!!!

BTW I met Billy yesterday. Will post more on that in another thread.

Cool - I'll look out for it.

random_dave
02-08-13, 11:31
Hey UK, if you manage to get into the top 3 I'll buy you one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppObUJW-j1A

miner2049er
02-08-13, 03:09
Hey UK, if you manage to get into the top 3 I'll buy you one of these

Deal.

I'll even wear it.

drich255
14-10-13, 03:17
Found this in the original GB Tetris Instructions. Something I had not known about before (or forgotten): "For those of you who think that TETRIS is too easy after mastering LEVEL 9 and HIGH 5, hold the Control Pad down and press the START Button during the title screen. You can enjoy a much faster and more demanding game."

miner2049er
14-10-13, 10:48
Yeah, I was just talking about this with Saberman at Play Expo.

I can complete it up to about level 14 or so but after that you just can't move the pieces to the sides quickly enough.

drich255
15-10-13, 05:26
Yeah, I was just talking about this with Saberman at Play Expo.

I can complete it up to about level 14 or so but after that you just can't move the pieces to the sides quickly enough.

I think you got me beat. I can finish Game B, Level 9, Height 5, but it takes me at least 20 tries to do so. And I don't think I am near any high scores. I am getting mostly single line clears the entire game.

miner2049er
15-10-13, 05:38
Well sometimes it might take 20 goes but its fairly random on what pieces you get.

As for the high scores you will need to set up a Tetris or 5.