PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 060 - Gorilla, Stoner and Silver Fox

miner2049er
30-04-13, 11:12
The April Podcast is here at last, and it's a fun packed as ever.

Listen closely as the American contingent go toe to toe while UKMike has his most drunken Live News ever.

This episode has both kinds of music, Country and Western.

Hardware Flashback - (00:00)
Retro Regurge - (25:32)
Guinness Gaming Records - (44:45)
Equinoxe Part 5 (Graham Hansford) - (47:03)
Mark Jones Interview - (50:37)
The Great And Powerful Oz - (93:03)
Top Ten Firsts In Video Gaming - (93:33)
Gaming Trivia - (246:41)
It Came From MAME - (247:08)
Live News And Listener Views - (266:53)
Metroid Theme (Nedshead80) - (389:11)
Focus On The Prize - (391:24)
URLs And EMails - (394:01)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2013/roundup060_2013.04.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2013/roundup060_chat.htm).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

Listen to the Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2013/RoundUp060_Outtakes.mp3).

Burgertime
01-05-13, 12:06
Aw man, I missed more drunk antics during live news? I feel bad for not being able to wake up in time to join in.

miner2049er
01-05-13, 01:09
I could barely speak by the end of it.

So funny.

Remember kids, drinking isn't big or clever, and stay in school.

Burgertime
01-05-13, 01:24
And drink your Ovaltine.

indieseoul
01-05-13, 01:29
Awesomeness. I just downloaded it for listening at work. I need my RGRU fix...really jonesing for it. If only I could get this earphone jacked directly into my blood stream. LOL So let's see "Silver Fox" is UK Mike, "Stoner" is of course Socal Mike, and Scott must be the "Gorilla" :)

Leathco
01-05-13, 06:17
The arguement in the top ten was awesome. Had me rolling. For my money, I gotta go with SoCal on this one, I dont see the Space Invader as a mascot simply because DURING the period Space Invaders was popular you didn't see the image of the Space Invader pushed nearly as hard as how Namco pushed Pac-Man. And as SoCal mentioned, they didn't merchendise it for decades, because during Pac-Mans time there were lunchboxes, shirts, etc.

GameGavel
01-05-13, 06:42
Smart man! I still can't get over them saying SI Dude is a "mascot". Couldn't be further from the truth. It wasn't even considered the "mascot" of its own game back then. The term mascot and video games didn't exist before Pac-Man.

The arguement in the top ten was awesome. Had me rolling. For my money, I gotta go with SoCal on this one, I dont see the Space Invader as a mascot simply because DURING the period Space Invaders was popular you didn't see the image of the Space Invader pushed nearly as hard as how Namco pushed Pac-Man. And as SoCal mentioned, they didn't merchendise it for decades, because during Pac-Mans time there were lunchboxes, shirts, etc.

Leathco
01-05-13, 06:57
As I continue listening I find parts I am arguing with in the top ten, lol, now I am taking on UK Mikes pick of Wolfenstein as the first FPS. Wolfenstein was a great game from id, and a landmark title. Wolfenstein was NOT the first FPS though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacomb_3-D

Catacomb 3-D was released in November of 1991, which came out in May of 1992.

Oh, and as I type this now SoCal is bringing up Faceball, which also came out before. Now I gotta check which game came first, Faceball or Catacomb.

If we go with Midi Maze (the game Faceball 2000 is based on), its 1987. If we go with Faceball 2000 (Game Boy version, SNES came later) its also 1991 with Catacomb.

Diagamblic
01-05-13, 07:42
Leathco - go even further back than that! Here's Maze War (Midi Maze was inspired by it) - which was designed in 1973 being played with networked 2 player multiplayer on the Xerox Alto!

****EDIT The Xerox Alto version was created in 1979 - the original version is from 1973 but there is some uncertainty whether Maze War or Spasim came first*****

This blew my mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chDIySXK2Q

indieseoul
02-05-13, 01:58
Well if you believe James Bowery you have to go back even further. He claims that this game developed in 1974 was in fact the first 3D first person shooter. He even has a cash reward of 500 bucks if you can prove that an earlier FPS existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMZv5Akcum8
http://web.archive.org/web/20010410145350/http://www.geocities.com/jim_bowery/spasim.html
According to Diagamblic's video above Maze War was created in 1979. Spasim was created in 1974.

Best top ten ever and I also have to agree with Socal. Pacman was the first arcade mascot. Sure space invaders has become a sort of "icon" for gaming these days but try to find a lunch box with the space invader alien on it from the 80's.

Leathco
02-05-13, 03:29
Very informative guys! I wonder how far back we all can go, lol.

focusrs
02-05-13, 03:55
Im the oldest FPS, born in 67 and I like a shot of whiskey, shot of burbon, shot of tequila, shot of scotch.........

Cynicaster
03-05-13, 07:59
I'm with SoCal on the Space Invaders mascot debate.

IMO, Scott is confusing a "symbol" for a "mascot".

There is no doubt that the space invaders guy is an icon today, but I think that's just because video games are finally old enough for people to become nostalgic en masse, and that character is an obvious symbol for that movement. In 1984, for example, would he have met the criteria for a "mascot"? No, because at the time he was just an obscure sprite in a game that was popular a few years ago. Pac-Man, on the other hand, has been a "character" since the first Pac-Man arcade machine shined its attract mode into a dank arcade and listed the names of the ghosts. In doing so, it drove home who was the star of the show: the name emblazoned on the marquee.

Duke.Togo
03-05-13, 01:03
Wow, that was a heated debate! I'm with SoCal, Pac-Man is the first mascot. Strong argument.

GameGavel
04-05-13, 12:28
Yes, I see so far all are in agreement with me. It was a shame, Pac-Man who created the Mascot Genre that spawned Mario, Sonic, Crash, Master Chief, etc. was tossed out. Mascot games have outsold any other games without a mascot tenfold in many cases. Huge legacy that my co-hosts couldn't grasp.

Burgertime
04-05-13, 12:52
I'm going to go down the middle and say you're both correct.
The Space Invader evolved into one of the many icons/mascots of the classic gaming generation, but back during it's original inception, it was likely just something you shot at. Not something that was designed at the time to be marketable across so many different products.
Pac-Man from practically the start was showing up on things from breakfast cereal to board games.
From the view of when the games were made, So Cal is correct.
From the view of today, Scott is correct.

focusrs
04-05-13, 01:26
Im not saying nuthin, Dont want to get on the bad side of either one of the guys. Socal is my retro gaming and fellow retro hunter bud and Scott is my Dales Pale Ale and Arcade connection (plus he has lots of guns and kind of scares me:) )

Leathco
04-05-13, 04:30
Im not saying nuthin, Dont want to get on the bad side of either one of the guys. Socal is my retro gaming and fellow retro hunter bud and Scott is my Dales Pale Ale and Arcade connection (plus he has lots of guns and kind of scares me:) )

I don't think anyone will get insulted, no matter what your answer is. Everyone has their opinion, and its debates like this that add spice to the show. I understand Scotts reasoning behind the Space Invaders mascot idea, yes the Space Invaders sprite DOES represent gaming in general in this modern era, even if it did not back upon the games release.

That still doesn't change the fact that I think SoCal is right :mspac: :-)

LovelyWong
04-05-13, 04:37
Great review of Ordyne.
The place I saw and played it at out in the wild was at an arcade right across the street from Los Angeles Community College in Los Angeles.
I rememer it being in one of those dynamo cabs.
I went to this arcade a lot back in the day. It is called Family Arcade. but according to their website, they are called Family Amusement Corporation.
http://www.familyamusement.com/
They are still around but like any arcade that still exists they mostly have fighters in there and some redemption and some pinball.
I recently paid a visit there.
They do have about 3 or 4 classics.

LovelyWong
04-05-13, 04:40
During the review of Wall street, I looked on KLOV but this game is not listed there. Maybe a KLOV member can add this game?

Diagamblic
04-05-13, 04:43
I finally listened to the full top 10! I'm actually siding with Socal on this one. Burgertime said it best, so no need for me to repeat.

Also, I was laughing the whole time while Socal played Wall Street. If there was an arcade in Hell, Wall Street would be front and center. Here's another "gem" from Century Electronics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hLFWls4wkQ

drich255
04-05-13, 07:33
:PAC Another vote here supporting SoCal Mike. Space Invaders did have a large impact on pop culture at the time ("He's hooked, he's hooked. His brain is cooked!"). However, that was the Space Invaders game as a whole, not a mascot of the game. Pac-Man was the first mass marketed gaming mascot.

focusrs
04-05-13, 09:27

GenesisDoes
06-05-13, 05:44
I understand where Scott is coming from, and with a little rewording of the statement, we could have avoided one of the biggest RGR arguments ever! What about the first IDENTIFIABLE mascot? How does one connect to the Space Invader? I see Pac-Man, and I feel "Yeah, Pac-Man, that's my guy!". The SI guy is just a SYMBOL from the most popular arcade game ever in Japan.

I can't believe it's only the 6th and I already finished it! I may have to go way back and listen to old ones.

Last point: What the heck was the in-between stuff? I'm a dumb, fat American, UK. I'm gonna need some cross-Atlantic translation (I understood what was said, but why was it so funny?)

As always: I look forward to another podcast, and I am going to look for some more MAME gems for Mike to play.

P.S. This was the best Hardware Flashback I've ever heard.

SubaruBrat
07-05-13, 01:14
I understand where Scott is coming from, and with a little rewording of the statement, we could have avoided one of the biggest RGR arguments ever!

Well where is the fun in that!

miner2049er
07-05-13, 09:47
The in between clips were Karl Pilkington who we've used before.

It was taken from a UK TV Series called "An Idiot Abroad".

You should track it down and watch it.

Diagamblic
07-05-13, 03:28

No joke! It gave me an excuse to make a new avatar.

GenesisDoes
08-05-13, 04:08

"Putting you in your PLACE!!!"

Signed,

A Guy Who Plays Sports Games and Dual Thumbstick Shooters.

(I'm joking)

TV's Mr. Neil
08-05-13, 06:55
From the view of when the games were made, So Cal is correct.
From the view of today, Scott is correct.
But it's not about today's perspective. This is about gaming industry firsts, and I think Pac-Man's status as a mascot way predated the Space Invaders alien. Space Invader alien didn't become super iconic until maybe the 90s. You can't just give the prize retroactively, because it's the older of the two.

That'd be like having two runners crossing the finishing line and saying that the second-place guy won, because he's older.

Here's what Scott and UK are thinking when they say that the Space Invaders guy is a mascot.

ZOMG! It's totally a mascot!!!

But here's what a Space Invaders t-shirt actually looked like in the late 70s and early 80s.

From the movie E.T.

See the difference?

Nobody is arguing that Space Invaders wasn't iconic for the 70s. But note that the playing field itself is what was considered iconic. And of course, there were bed sheets and all sorts of licensed products back then, but nothing that actually treated the SI alien as an actual character or mascot. The alien was treated as a generic sprite from the game.

Conversely, Pac-Man was frequently displayed outside the context of his maze game, and thus he was obviously a mascot at the time.

Burgertime
08-05-13, 10:51
But it's not about today's perspective. This is about gaming industry firsts, and I think Pac-Man's status as a mascot way predated the Space Invaders alien. Space Invader alien didn't become super iconic until maybe the 90s. You can't just give the prize retroactively, because it's the older of the two.

That'd be like having two runners crossing the finishing line and saying that the second-place guy won, because he's older.

Here's what Scott and UK are thinking when they say that the Space Invaders guy is a mascot.

ZOMG! It's totally a mascot!!!

But here's what a Space Invaders t-shirt actually looked like in the late 70s and early 80s.

From the movie E.T.

See the difference?

Nobody is arguing that Space Invaders wasn't iconic for the 70s. But note that the playing field itself is what was considered iconic. And of course, there were bed sheets and all sorts of licensed products back then, but nothing that actually treated the SI alien as an actual character or mascot. The alien was treated as a generic sprite from the game.

Conversely, Pac-Man was frequently displayed outside the context of his maze game, and thus he was obviously a mascot at the time.

We're both pretty much saying the same thing. We're just wording things differently. I'm guessing you may have taking it wrong way. Don't disagree with anything you're saying. :p
I mean it as a "Hey guys. Take which one is the most fitting for what the initial discussion is about, and this is who is right.".

random_dave
09-05-13, 10:26
walking past this place this morning i thought i'd look and see if it cleared anything up, unfortunately it's firmly sat on the fence of this debate
http://www.lancastermedia.co.uk/image/amusementcaterers.jpg

miner2049er
09-05-13, 02:02
Haha!

Jammajup
21-05-13, 10:05
Interesting interview with Mark Jones,I voted for Dingo in the best Homebrew game of 2011 at the WOS forum,i am still listening to podcast and have not quite got to TOP 10 yet.

I finally listened to the full top 10! I'm actually siding with Socal on this one. Burgertime said it best, so no need for me to repeat.

Also, I was laughing the whole time while Socal played Wall Street. If there was an arcade in Hell, Wall Street would be front and center. Here's another "gem" from Century Electronics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hLFWls4wkQ

I remember playing Logger in a social club,my god it was terrible!. In my retro polls it is currently joint top in the worst arcade game poll lol,

Retrobitcritic
21-05-13, 08:04
Sadly, I just finished listening non-stop to every RGRU podcast Episode and my brain is fried with information

retroshaun
21-05-13, 08:15
Theres actual information? I must listen more carefully :)

Nurmix
22-05-13, 01:10
Theres actual information? I must listen more carefully :)

It occasionally slips into a show here and there... a lot of times Scott and SoCal talk over it though, so it's easy to miss.

Jammajup
22-05-13, 09:06
Sadly, I just finished listening non-stop to every RGRU podcast Episode and my brain is fried with information

I have them all on my mobile so i can listen to them while i am out and about so i know the feeling ;) ,i used to loop back to the beginning podcast while waiting for a new RGR but now i also listen to other podcasts instead like Retro League,Atari game by game,Retro Asylum,etc just to `mash it up` a bit lol

miner2049er
23-05-13, 08:29
It occasionally slips into a show here and there... a lot of times Scott and SoCal talk over it though, so it's easy to miss.

Haha. Excellent.