PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the Sega Game Gear have a screen change?

Vipp
29-04-13, 01:28
The RGR Forum is full of people with brains, from Rocket scientists to Korean console modders, can anyone tell me in laymanís terms why exactly the internet struggles to find a definitive answer to the question...

Can i change the LCD screen on my Game Gear and if not...why not?

I have been into the darkest recesses of the internet and to the bottom of the darkest forum threads and all i can find in a nutshell are people saying SEGA used cheap and tacky parts to make the Game Gear and thatís why the screen is un changeable... but we have put men on the moon... there has to be someone who has a method to change that screen... i need game gear guys please help.

Thanks guys.

focusrs
29-04-13, 03:23
I believe it uses a special video format that does not lend itself to be easily modded. Here is a link showing someone doing a TV out mod on a Gamegear and installing another screen inside to replace the original one.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12954&highlight=

Diagamblic
29-04-13, 04:22
Only thing I could find isn't a perfect solution, but it's a start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-R7GwZKW8

random_dave
29-04-13, 10:14
I tinkered with replacing the CCFL backlight with LED's which was relatively successful, but ended up settling with the backlight from a DSi replacement screen, powered through a DC-DC converter, and now the screen has a decent viewing angle, brightness and lasts for around 24 hours on a set of 2800mAh batteries.

If you buy me a beer at revival I can sit down and bore you to death with the various reasons that you can't just switch the screens like the nomad would allow

Vipp
29-04-13, 11:27
Random Dave you just got yourself a beer. Focus and Diagamblic thank you for your help with this aswell guys i really appriciate it.

focusrs
29-04-13, 12:49
I want a beer to :( and some electrified hot dogs :)

Vipp
29-04-13, 03:06
Mate if you were here i would supply you with a set of Atari glasses, lighter and Absinthe. lol. As for the hotdog i think that's best left to people who know more about the fine art of reconstituted meat's capacity for conductivity than i do...

random_dave
29-04-13, 04:18
on that topic UKMike missed my first attempt at making a hot dog stuffed crust pizza by 24 hours this weekend, bloody good it is too

Vipp
29-04-13, 08:32
When did this happen? i want to learn how to make pizza with hotdog in the crust. Haha! Learning to Cook with Random Dave. Live stream cooking classes every second tuesday of the month.

random_dave
30-04-13, 11:07
lol, i have actually toyed with the idea of streaming a couple of morning workouts, then moving onto streaming cooking afterwards, and wondering if i can make a living off advertising

Surely it's genius though, why go through the same fitness dvd every day when you can jsut tune into me and get something new every time ;-)

Vipp
30-04-13, 12:23
I don't want to be the first to make you aware of this mate but the STR followers allready watch a live streaming workout video online... if you want to join its at this link www,ustream,com/SexualLemons-WomanLustingWristThrustingFatBusting-WorkOut/Live