PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 059 - Two Smart Guys And SoCal

miner2049er
01-04-13, 02:29
The March Show is out and it's our longest ever.

Such fun to edit.. Yay!

Hardware Flashback: Topic - (00:00)
It Came From MAME - (42:36)
Guinness Gaming Records - (59:40)
Castlevania Medley (Nedshead80) - (62:03)
Anthony Caulfield Interview - (66:32)
The Great And Powerful Oz - (187:28)
Top Ten Super Nintendo Games - (187:58)
Gaming Trivia - (334:04)
Live News And Listener Views - (335:32)
Ghostbusters (Adam Bellin) - (476:18)
Focus On The Prize - (479:48)
URLs And EMails - (483:57)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2013/roundup059_2013.03.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2013/roundup059_chat.htm).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

Listen to the Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2013/RoundUp059_Outtakes.mp3).

Diagamblic
01-04-13, 04:19
Can't wait to hear the top ten! I'm honestly wondering how this one will go...I'm betting a few racers, a Mario game, a few left field picks, a Movie/TV show/Comic Licensed title, no Squaresoft picks, maybe Zelda, and Captain Novolin? Who knows, it will be exciting all the same.

ebrake
01-04-13, 09:22
I cant believe Street Fighter 2 (or any of its iterations) didn't make it in even as an honorable mention. One of the greater arcade conversions in my opinion (check the Genesis version if you disagree) and just an awesome party title.
Some other games that should get a mention are Cybernator, NBA Jam, Area88/UN Squadron and Final Fantasy 6.

TV's Mr. Neil
02-04-13, 04:09
I can't believe what you guys put in at #1. Yoshi's Island should have been #1 by a mile. On your list, there's no Street Fighter, no Zelda, no F-Zero, no Secret Of Mana, no Mega Man X, and no Super Punch-Out. But you have Gods and R-Type 3?

SoCal, I can understand your love for shooters, but even you have to admit that the SNES version of that game is garbage. That game chugs on the SNES.

And I'm sorry, but if I was doing such a list, Donkey Kong Country would be an automatic OUT. Don't even bother trying to convince me that it deserves a place. OUT! There are way too many games superior to that completely average platformer with hideous pre-rendered CGI graphics, which are uglier than bowling shoes. The game is deserving of some praise, sure, but it has no business being anywhere in the vicinity of a top ten list.

GameGavel
02-04-13, 04:21
I think we covered why F-Zero didn't make the list. And, it's my opinion that Super Mario World is a much better game than Yoshi's Island. Agreed, there was no Zelda on this list, but I made my picks and they made theirs and noone picked it. Super Punch-Out is a great game, no doubt and did get a mention. As far as R*Type III (the SNES version was the ONLY version as it was made just for the SNES), it was a great game, and had the normal speed of the original - http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2007/01/r_type_iii_the_third_lightning_virtual_console and without a doubt one of the top-three shooters on the system. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Super R*Type which was a crap game??

As far as DKC goes, it was the most fun I've had on the system and about the only game I still play on it with any regularity to this day. I love it :)

I can't believe what you guys put in at #1. Yoshi's Island should have been #1 by a mile. On your list, there's no Street Fighter, no Zelda, no F-Zero, no Secret Of Mana, no Mega Man X, and no Super Punch-Out. But you have Gods and R-Type 3?

SoCal, I can understand your love for shooters, but even you have to admit that the SNES version of that game is garbage. That game chugs on the SNES.

And I'm sorry, but if I was doing such a list, Donkey Kong Country would be an automatic OUT. Don't even bother trying to convince me that it deserves a place. OUT! There are way too many games superior to that completely average platformer with hideous pre-rendered CGI graphics, which are uglier than bowling shoes. The game is deserving of some praise, sure, but it has no business being anywhere in the vicinity of a top ten list.

TV's Mr. Neil
02-04-13, 04:53
Ya know, I think I got R=Type III confused with Super R-Type, which was pretty bad. Somehow, I didn't realize that that there was more than one entry in the series on SNES. (Funny, because I think you even mentioned Super R-Type.) So, I'll admit I got that wrong.

I just flat out don't get Donkey Kong Country. Maybe it's just that I had an SNES from launch, and by the time that game came out, the platformer genre was so overblown that to see one more come out and get so much praise, I just never appreciated it. But even today, I play it, and I just don't get it. It feels like a slow version of Sonic. And by the time I get to the mine cart levels, I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Vipp
02-04-13, 04:57
As far as DKC goes, it was the most fun I've had on the system and about the only game I still play on it with any regularity to this day. I love it :)

If DKC didn't exist im not sure i would have entertained the SNES at all. That was a great game. F-Zero was great but it wasn't a scratch on Super Mario Kart. Still im not sure what all the fuss is about, if you want classic gaming you're looking in the wrong direction... don't forget Sega does what Nintendon't.... :)

GameGavel
02-04-13, 11:09
If DKC didn't exist im not sure i would have entertained the SNES at all. That was a great game. F-Zero was great but it wasn't a scratch on Super Mario Kart. Still im not sure what all the fuss is about, if you want classic gaming you're looking in the wrong direction... don't forget Sega does what Nintendon't.... :)

Yes, it was THE reason I picked up my first SNES. It wrangled me over from a die-hard Sega Genesis fan boy. It brought back a beloved classic from the arcade with graphics that were so ground breaking for the time. I think it was the best looking platformer of its time hands down.

GameGavel
02-04-13, 11:37
It might also help to understand how we do our picks before we record the segment. We each pick four and type them in a private thread. Once we type them in we agreed not to change them. So we each pick four picks independently without really knowing which four the others are going to pick. It's not like we all submit four and then once we see them altogether have a pre-recording debate about what to throw out in lieu of more popular obvious picks and repick. We get what we get. So, for example, in the Top-10 SNES I didn't pick Link to the Past, but figured that one of them might include it. But they didn't and that is the way it goes. Hopefully that explains how some popular and more common picks get slighted out of our lists :)

This also gives our lists some originality as most lists are all the same. What fun is that?

Ya know, I think I got R=Type III confused with Super R-Type, which was pretty bad. Somehow, I didn't realize that that there was more than one entry in the series on SNES. (Funny, because I think you even mentioned Super R-Type.) So, I'll admit I got that wrong.

I just flat out don't get Donkey Kong Country. Maybe it's just that I had an SNES from launch, and by the time that game came out, the platformer genre was so overblown that to see one more come out and get so much praise, I just never appreciated it. But even today, I play it, and I just don't get it. It feels like a slow version of Sonic. And by the time I get to the mine cart levels, I'm ready to pull my hair out.

SubaruBrat
03-04-13, 12:37
What he said, were more looking to tell the story of 12 great games than we are to resonate with the "approved" top ten lists already out there. And sometimes we pick stuff just to stir the pot and make it more entertaining.

focusrs
03-04-13, 03:37
im usually drunk when i listen anyway as i like making a drinking game out of the top ten :)

Diagamblic
03-04-13, 03:52
Guys, well said. Now that I've actually gotten through the segment, I have to say it was an admirable top 10. I liked Scott's comment about how he can now go back and experience a system he never got into and check out some great games.

Two points:
1) It's funny how Zombies Ate My Neighbors was Scott's pick on this podcast, and SoCal's 50 roundups ago on Podcast #9. As I'm checking now, you guys rated it at a respectable #4 on the top 10 list of Horror Themed games: http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2009/roundup009_topten.htm

Did you know the game had two sequels of sorts? Ghoul Patrol and Herc's Adventures on PSX. Not as good as Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but both are worth a shot.

2) Speaking of RGR#9 - you guys mentioned Devils Crush as a top video pinball game. I have to agree. But did you know there was 3rd official game in the series besides Alien Crush and Devil Crush? It was called Jaki Crush and it was only available on the Super Famicom. This time the theme is Japenese demons. It's pretty awesome! And there's absolutely no language barrier to playing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4v4ujE1Wk8

SubaruBrat
03-04-13, 05:23
For whatever reason having all the ROMs available for emulation just didn't get me playing many imports until I made more of an effort to start picking up famicom and super famicom games at expos (there are always tons) and now I find myself getting into them allot more.

random_dave
03-04-13, 11:12
The Castlevania Medley was great, far better than some of Konami's Official commisions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak2lbFwet8

Brumisator
03-04-13, 03:40
Scott, regarding your hardware flashback I've heard a different tale about Super Mario 2 (Japan). Nintendo rightfully considered Mario to be their flagship franchise. SMB and SMB2 were released one year apart in Japan in 1985 & 1986. This was rather early in the NES's lifespan, so the graphics were relatively primitive.

Now in Europe, SMB wasn't out until 1987, and by that time, programmers had already learned to squeeze a lot more out of the machine. Releasing the sequel in a sensible timeframe, let's say a year later in 1988, SMB2 would have looked woefully antiquated. That's why they canned the whole thing and redid doki doki panic as Super Mario Bros. 2 for the international (non-Japanese) market.

Furthermore, Shigeru Mijamoto had worked on all three of these games, and has since said that he worked much harder on doki doki panic aka non-japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 than he did on the japanese SMB2.

miner2049er
04-04-13, 08:54
No Zelda game?

Simples. The SNES didn't have a great Zelda game.

I got bored halfway through Link To The Past and stopped playing it so I was never going to pick it.

miner2049er
04-04-13, 08:55
The Castlevania Medley was great, far better than some of Konami's Official commisions

It was by one of our members here, nedshead80. We'll be using more of his tunes in upcoming shows.

SubaruBrat
04-04-13, 09:37
Scott, regarding your hardware flashback I've heard a different tale about Super Mario 2 (Japan). Nintendo rightfully considered Mario to be their flagship franchise. SMB and SMB2 were released one year apart in Japan in 1985 & 1986. This was rather early in the NES's lifespan, so the graphics were relatively primitive.

Now in Europe, SMB wasn't out until 1987, and by that time, programmers had already learned to squeeze a lot more out of the machine. Releasing the sequel in a sensible timeframe, let's say a year later in 1988, SMB2 would have looked woefully antiquated. That's why they canned the whole thing and redid doki doki panic as Super Mario Bros. 2 for the international (non-Japanese) market.

I have heard that as well, and it may be the case, but there was a curious relationship with what Nintendo of America wanted as well. I certainly think it could be true though.

random_dave
04-04-13, 10:02
I don't know how my interest is coloured by working as part of the few remaining UK developers that can trace it's lineage back to a small shop in town selling cassette tapes, and having the pleasure of working alongside the likes of Pete Harrap and Anthony Crowther, but the interview this month has to be the best that i can remember for at least a few months.

It worked too, previously, as the kickstarter was already funded i was thinking of maybe picking up the film when it comes out for a watch, but now I think I'll treat myself to a bluray with the unused footage, as I think that;s the bit that i am going to find the most interesting.

With regards to breaking and entering tales, there's a similar story from the glory days of Hardcore Gamefan magazine. There was an arcade fighting game that the content creators basically spent all day playing, so the boss locked it away in his office. Later one evening when he had gone home the skinniest of the guys climbed into the air ducts in the ceiling, and then mission impossible style dropped down into the locked office to retrieve the pcb so they could play it again.
Almost proof that most petty crimes are born out of boredom ;-)

saberman
07-04-13, 07:41
im usually drunk when i listen anyway as i like making a drinking game out of the top ten :)

That sounds like fun what are the rules?

saberman
07-04-13, 07:53
I don't know how my interest is coloured by working as part of the few remaining UK developers that can trace it's lineage back to a small shop in town selling cassette tapes, and having the pleasure of working alongside the likes of Pete Harrap and Anthony Crowther, but the interview this month has to be the best that i can remember for at least a few months.

I agree the interview was really really good this month. I think it was Anthony enthusiasm for the project that made it so good.

It worked too, previously, as the kickstarter was already funded i was thinking of maybe picking up the film when it comes out for a watch, but now I think I'll treat myself to a bluray with the unused footage, as I think that;s the bit that i am going to find the most interesting.

Work for me too I'm going for the Blue Ray and the exclusive CD soundtrack. With that,Play Expo tickets and CGE adventures I'm all spent up this month already.

Jammajup
16-04-13, 07:40
It was an interesting Top 10 but almost upside down to how i would have it,Turtles and Pilot wings would be in (mid Table) and Mario RPG and Donkey Kong Country would be out for me as the game play is way to shallow.
Regarding Snes shooters if anyone is looking to `kickback` i recommend Super Swiv and Super Aleste.
Keep up the good work guys.

Diagamblic
16-04-13, 11:57
Super Aleste is great! Over in the states we got it as Space Megaforce. Alete is just a great series all around. M.U.S.H.A. for the genesis and ROBO Aleste for the Sega CD are fantastic.

SubaruBrat
17-04-13, 03:13
I agree the interview was really really good this month. I think it was Anthony enthusiasm for the project that made it so good.

I think what you mean is that it was really British, and by that your right. We have had a strong UK following that really picked up steam after our first year and it took us until our 4th year to get more UK interviews and content. Were going to have a better balance from here out now that were hitting up the UK expos. And of course our US content will continue to remain strong as we are already committed to US expos this year as well. It was really important for us to make CGE Adventures in both NTSC and PAL for example.