PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 058 - Sexual Lemon

miner2049er
01-03-13, 12:15
SoCal returns to Live News so join us as we bring you one of the funniest live broadcasts ever.

Oh, and try and get hookers too.

Editorial - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback: MAGFest 2013 Panel Pt2 - (37:23)
Atar-Rewind - (78:17)
Guinness Gaming Records - (102:32)
Space Invaders Song - (105:15)
Greg Pabbage Interview - (108:52)
The Great And Powerful Oz - (157:41)
Top Ten Video Game Deaths - (158:11)
Gaming Trivia - (234:27)
It Came From MAME - (234:54)
Retro Regurge - (258:14)
Live News And Listener Views - (271:05:)
Zelda Dungeon Theme Doomstep Remix (Nedshead80) - (434:28)
Focus On The Prize - (436:44)
URLs And EMails - (439:47)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2013/roundup058_2013.02.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2013/roundup058_chat.htm).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

Listen to the Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2013/RoundUp058_Outtakes.mp3).

Vipp
01-03-13, 01:47
Downloading now, this episode's live news is brilliant, forum members need to join live news because what you see is so much more than what you hear on the night. lol. can't believe Septic got an episode named after him. Sexual Lemon. Pmsl.

lank.g01
01-03-13, 04:33
This was my first live news and it was absolutely brilliant, woke up at 5am to tune in (so there is no excuss for anyone else to miss out lol) also won myself some prostitute calling cards, what other podcast can you say that about. I hope they smell like Stenson when they arrive.:)

focusrs
01-03-13, 05:11
This was my first live news and it was absolutely brilliant, woke up at 5am to tune in (so there is no excuss for anyone else to miss out lol) also won myself some prostitute calling cards, what other podcast can you say that about. I hope they smell like Stenson when they arrive.:)

Stetson with some slight fishy overtones :)

lank.g01
01-03-13, 05:18
I was hoping the Stetson would drown that aroma out haha.

ebrake
01-03-13, 08:07
Doing some late night miniature painting while listening to the new podcast. Im getting psyched about the game. Its the perfect excuse to pick up a 2600.

SubaruBrat
01-03-13, 01:52
I would rate this month's live news as one of the top three ever. If your not making the live news you need to!

Burgertime
02-03-13, 01:39
The theater of the mind from the top 10 needs to be made into an animation! :)

I have been unable to understand that one clip from Berzerk all of these years. The one in almost every episode that says "Chicken, fight like a robot". For some reason I was hearing "Bitten by blind gay robot" and I know that wouldn't have been what it said lol.

saberman
04-03-13, 08:36
Great pod cast as usual guys love the top 10 you should do more sound top tens :). Just the top 10 arcade sounds would be great the regeneration sound from Dragon's Lair springs to mind.

Vipp
04-03-13, 08:58
Why oh why do you guys that live in America still have Piers Morgan talking absolute bollocks on your TV stations?? he talks so much shit they keep tissues on his news desk so he can wipe his mouth when he speaks. In my opinion anyway.

SubaruBrat
04-03-13, 09:23
When I visit a foreign country I think the least I can do is respect that I am a guest there and not criticize their way of life or try to find fault. Like when Madonna showed up in the UK and was trying to get things changed around to her liking, no class. But class is different than freedom, and while I am disgusted by Piers he is a guest here by legal means (I firmly believe constitutional rights should be reserved for citizens and legal guests) and the first amendment to our constitution guarantees freedom of speech. And even though he is using that freedom to attack our second amendment which is the right to keep and bear arms it would be hypocritical to not allow him to do so. The constitution is very clear that it does not grant those rights, that it in fact acknowledges their natural existance above and beyond the constitution and states repeatedly that "Congress shall make no law infringing on .."

So while I do despise Piers and wish he would go home, I defend his right to do what he does. Unfortunately that would be lost on him, he would be pleased to see my rights and freedom curtailed and subordinated to government to regulate my speech and actions into something he finds more appropriate. But to be expected from the kind of guy that has armed security while wanting to remove my right to be armed.

focusrs
05-03-13, 01:13
SubaruBrat for Prez!

random_dave
05-03-13, 04:19

You need to put that in itunes as a review ;-)

Compute
05-03-13, 05:54
UK getting Steel Battalion? Nice! I found a control set locally for cheap-ish. Found a cheap copy of the game, but I think they sent it via turtle. Is there a community around this like with certain other iconic titles?

miner2049er
08-03-13, 08:42
If there isn't, we will be setting one up as a few of us now have it.

tcv
10-03-13, 04:57
It's not often I actually LOL but, man, that "Kim-Jong Ooh-la-la" slayed me. Wow. Holeee shitt.

itsreallykevin
13-03-13, 02:42
I love the whole prostitute trading card tanent during the news. Who'd've thought you would hear something like that on a retro podcast?! For some reason I thought od the name Large Marge from Pee Wee's big adventure when the lady answered!

Scott, did I hear correctly that you're planning an arcade party when UK is in town? My fraternity brother from Bristow, VA and I would certainly come by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

SubaruBrat
13-03-13, 03:02
You heard it right, and whenever I do them I also announce them through the show forums or FB page.

And there IS a Steel Battalion league, I will do an update on how to get into the SB world very soon since several of us have it now.

Brumisator
13-03-13, 05:42
So while I do despise Piers and wish he would go home, I defend his right to do what he does. Unfortunately that would be lost on him, he would be pleased to see my rights and freedom curtailed and subordinated to government to regulate my speech and actions into something he finds more appropriate. But to be expected from the kind of guy that has armed security while wanting to remove my right to be armed.

Excuse my ignorance (and laziness for not looking it up by myself), but assuming the non-sequitur inter-segment bits in this podcast was Piers Morgan.

Is Piers Morgan the batshit insane dude yelling off-topic gibberish, or was he the british guy who couldn't get a word in edgewise?

indieseoul
13-03-13, 09:44
Excuse my ignorance (and laziness for not looking it up by myself), but assuming the non-sequitur inter-segment bits in this podcast was Piers Morgan.

Is Piers Morgan the batshit insane dude yelling off-topic gibberish, or was he the british guy who couldn't get a word in edgewise?
Piers Morgan is the British dude. Scott..uhm I mean Alex Jones was the dude yelling the off topic gibberish. :)

SubaruBrat
13-03-13, 01:12
Piers Morgan is an idiot brit who came to America to chastise us for our freedom.

Alex Jones is a local idiot who believes that everything is a conspiracy, and if conspiracies contradict, that makes it a bigger one.

GenesisDoes
13-03-13, 01:53
Nobody REALLY watches Piers Morgan, they just like to act appalled when he says something crazy. He did/is use/using the Sandy Hook tragedy to tout his stance on gun control, though.

Great episode. Enjoyed the It Came From Mame, and I may actually make Sin City Adventures my first repro purchase! I can't believe someone would get that angry about people complaining about the length. I made one little comment on my iTunes review that it was four times (or more) longer than my other regularly listened to podcasts, and it takes a few months to get used to it.

Brumisator
13-03-13, 05:07
So THAT's who alex jones is... yes, now it is obvious. Scott does indeed make a great impression.

random_dave
14-03-13, 03:18
Something dawned on me earlier, once we're all setup with X-Link Kai we can also play Outrun 2 with it (i think) that'd be the tits

Vipp
14-03-13, 04:34
Something dawned on me earlier, once we're all setup with X-Link Kai we can also play Outrun 2 with it (i think) that'd be the tits

Is X-Link Kai for multi-playing The robot Sim UK Mike has been talking about RD?

random_dave
16-03-13, 08:36
Is X-Link Kai for multi-playing The robot Sim UK Mike has been talking about RD?

Yes, with the original servers and xbox live long gone the only option now is to fall back to tunnelling the LAN based multiplayer

Vipp
16-03-13, 01:10
tunnelling the LAN based multiplayer

This sounds like some sort of Matrix situation, what is tunneling?

SubaruBrat
16-03-13, 06:13
Making it appear to the Xbox as if it is on a LAN (like a local switch) talking to other Xboxes when in fact it is going over the internet. Kai is a super tough pain in the ass to get working.

Vipp
16-03-13, 11:39
Why do companies like EA shut down a games online playability? is it really that expensive just to let us connect together and play? i have lots of games on my ps3 that i can't play online. (i think every one of them are by EA) that won't let me play multi player.

random_dave
18-03-13, 03:13
it's not terribly expensive to keep servers online for the majority of their games, but if there's less than 25 concurrent users there's a pretty tricky argument to whoever controls that departments budget to keep renewing the lease on them

Not to mention that if they close fifa/madden/needforspeed '12 that then forces people to actually move onto the '13 revision

Vipp
18-03-13, 04:17
So big companies like EA don't actually buy severs? with the money they make why don't they just buy a sever or is that limited to super companies and pirate bay style groups? Also don't they have meetings to talk about how the company reputation will be damaged if they keep shutting servers down frequently or are we all so 'fluffy white and baa baa-ing' that they don't need to worry about us turning away from their games? RD your full of knowledge man. Thanks for explaining this to me.

Brumisator
18-03-13, 11:40
You know, back here in PC-gamer-land, people host their own servers, for any game they like.

If you're even a little tech-savyy, you don't have to rely on publishers and their money-grubbing ways to play online.

Vipp
19-03-13, 01:17
You know, back here in PC-gamer-land, people host their own servers, for any game they like.

If you're even a little tech-savyy, you don't have to rely on publishers and their money-grubbing ways to play online.

So are you suggesting i could actually get my ps3 games that have no online support... online again to earn the trophies?? Or would it not work as it is the ps3??

also i picked up Van Halen guitar hero so i could bug SoCal to get it so we could form an online band called Fan Halen which is in no way sad at all.... however it also has no online support...

As for tech-savy i am lacking, for example i often get told to leave things alone in the house by my fiancee because i can't work them very well. i have taken a photo for you...

All Your Base
19-03-13, 09:37
When I visit a foreign country I think the least I can do is respect that I am a guest there and not criticize their way of life or try to find fault. Like when Madonna showed up in the UK and was trying to get things changed around to her liking, no class. But class is different than freedom, and while I am disgusted by Piers he is a guest here by legal means (I firmly believe constitutional rights should be reserved for citizens and legal guests) and the first amendment to our constitution guarantees freedom of speech. And even though he is using that freedom to attack our second amendment which is the right to keep and bear arms it would be hypocritical to not allow him to do so. The constitution is very clear that it does not grant those rights, that it in fact acknowledges their natural existance above and beyond the constitution and states repeatedly that "Congress shall make no law infringing on .."

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

random_dave
19-03-13, 11:02
So big companies like EA don't actually buy severs?
Even if they did they would have to justify to someone who then has to justify to shareholders why they are using x amount of resources on it to run a 5 year old game with minimal people when they could just run it for Sim City

Unfortunately they don't need to care about their reputation, which is already shafted to the knowledgeable gamer, but a core amount of their market is the casual folks whos only prior knowledge of a game is a tv advert, and will just see the latest in a franchise they like at WalMart and buy it without even knowing what kind of evil gears that they are greasing in the corporate machine.

Unlike for example Atlus who built a community around Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and by very publicly continuing to support the servers have ensured a lot of goodwill towards Dark Souls 2

I'm trying to find something different to do in the industry, and (like Formula 1) I find some of the business workings of it very interesting, but there's no way in hell i want to be fighting against the evil of it every day in an attempt to get my ideas through

Gordon Bennett
16-07-13, 09:07
So I am at last catching up on shows that I've missed over the past several months. Scott, could the C-64 game that you talked about in the Top 10 possibly be Oil Tycoon?

The only video that I can find is from the Vic-20, but perhaps it may ring a bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPBUhROI5GQ