PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 056 - The Top 100 Games Ever

miner2049er
18-01-13, 12:00
Lawdy! It's the first RoundUp of 2013 and it's a special edition show as we count down our definitive list of the Top 100 Games Ever!

The January Show will be along in good time but enjoy this New Year Special during the meanwhilst.

Intro - (00:00)
Countdown 100 to 76 - (04:28)
The Girl At The Video Game Store (Parry Grip) - (25:52)
Countdown 75 to 51 - (29:26)
Countdown 50 to 26 - (64:27)
Pinball Banter - (111:14)
Countdown 25 to 11 - (138:21)
Scott's Prometheus Q&A - (153:57)
G6 Connection (Far East Movement) - (158:10)
Countdown 10 to 1 - (159:11)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2013/roundup056_2013.01.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

focusrs
18-01-13, 12:25
awesome!!!

retroshaun
18-01-13, 01:47
Great stuff!

indieseoul
18-01-13, 03:06
Awesome a surprise show!

eldphm
18-01-13, 09:50
If I could have the facial expression that Olivia Munn has mid air in the jump after she stabs Firebrand in the chest in the video for "The girl at the video game store" as a ringtone I wouldn't hesitate because that is priceless.

I also look forward to this surprise show treat!

Ok download has finished!

SWABteam
18-01-13, 10:04
Finally caught up with the show. Great surprise episode. Now I feel like I can post on the forums.

The part where the PlayStation bios music played had me in goosebumps here in my cubicle. Huge dose of nostalgia there, at some point I plan on posting my argument on why the PlayStation is a retro system.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GameGavel
18-01-13, 10:06
Welcome back :) And the Playstation IS a Retro console in my opinions too! I LOVE IT!

Finally caught up with the show. Great surprise episode. Now I feel like I can post on the forums.

The part where the PlayStation bios music played had me in goosebumps here in my cubicle. Huge dose of nostalgia there, at some point I plan on posting my argument on why the PlayStation is a retro system.

saberman
18-01-13, 11:14
I'm guessing you didn't debate the Top 100 as that would have taken a long time. I can imagine SoCal's intro - "..each host pics 40 games..." :)

miner2049er
19-01-13, 01:20
Oh Boy! There isn't enough time in the world for that.

SID Kidd64
20-01-13, 12:15
Thanks guys!!! This special was a real surprise and entertaining as usual :)!

Burgertime
21-01-13, 11:28
My wife loved that Centipede and Burgertime were next to one another in the list, considering that's her favorite game. I half expected a joke #1 before the reveal of your actual #1.
And our number 1 game of the top 100 games of all time is......Boong-ga Boong-ga!

I was just thinking of video game title screens and openings for a top 10 you might do, and I keep thinking of mostly PS1 titles and the animated intros they'd do. A few that came to mind were Chrono Cross and Wild Arms.

eldphm
22-01-13, 12:04
The only game that I would have put in there that wasn't in there is Starcraft. The esports community that has sprung out of that game is staggering. Some sportsbars show the big games even here in Sweden.
The original is bordering to my definition of retro because I had grown up when it came.

Well, at least you got my favorite game in there, Metal Gear Solid, descendant of Metal Gear on MSX and before that Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II.
Considering type of humor and quirks of that game, I think that Hideo Kojima would fit right in with us in the RGR News Chatroom.

SWABteam
22-01-13, 05:37
Super Metroid's intro screen/sequence was amazing. I remember being blown away by it the first time I played it.

That would be a hard top 10 to do, there are so many games I can think of. The NES Mega Mans all had some great startup screens. The elder scrolls morrowind would probably be on my list as well.

For me its all about the music, th right music playing as you start up a game can do so much to help set up the atmosphere.

GenesisDoes
22-01-13, 01:30
Thanks for the little snippet to hold us over! A few thoughts (unedited, of course):

Street Fighter II (SCE, whatever editions you want) is probably better than Moon Patrol. Moon Patrol is way more retro, though.

The Addams Family can't possibly be on this list. It's just not that good of a game, better than some licensed schlock but not top 100. Probably not even top 100 on the Genesis. (Yes, I know that this is the three top 100s of the hosts, and every one of these is open to speculation, just my opinion)

Though, this is one of the best top 100s for gaming, and that's the only game I really have an issue with. I don't argue against the UK Computer Games or the Commodore 64 games that weren't a part of my gaming life circa 1991-present. Great Podcast. I actually listened to this all while on the job yesterday! So I got paid to listen! (not much, I just work for RadioShack. And there was a snowstorm and the temperature was in the single digits.)

saberman
23-01-13, 06:07
Excellent podcast guys. I was very surprised that there were 2 spectrum games in there. I liked that Super Metroid got so much praise too, that's my number one game of all time although Ocarina of Time come close.

LovelyWong
26-01-13, 04:57
I remember Metal Slug on the Neo-Geo. I first saw it in the game room at my college. But for some people it was not a quarter muncher. I recall watching people being able to complete the entire game on one quarter without losing a single life. For me, the farthest I was able to get on one quarter was to about the 3rd stage.

GameGavel
26-01-13, 05:05
One life? Nah, I would have to see it to believe it! Cool college story!

I remember Metal Slug on the Neo-Geo. I first saw it in the game room at my college. But for some people it was not a quarter muncher. I recall watching people being able to complete the entire game on one quarter without losing a single life. For me, the farthest I was able to get on one quarter was to about the 3rd stage.

LovelyWong
26-01-13, 06:08
One life? Nah, I would have to see it to believe it! Cool college story!
I wish i would have been able to record it just to see how it was possible and then go through it to improve my game.

Gordon Bennett
26-01-13, 07:20
Looks to be quite interesting. I'll definitely give it a listen soon. It should be interesting to hear your perspective on these. Personally, were I to assemble my own top 100 the only game I think that it would share with yours is The Secret of Monkey Island, but then diversity is always a good thing.

RetroAl
28-01-13, 04:50
Hey Guys, great Top 100.

My top 100 would have included a few Intellivision games. It was my first system, had some great times with it.

Jammajup
28-01-13, 08:42
It was very interesting listening to the Top 100 (while i was decorating-sigh),the final top 10 was interesting and the no.1 was a surprise.The only personnel opinion i can make really is that although i understand the popularity of Galaga i do not like it preferring Galaxians and i prefer Moon Alien Pt II over both of them but i do tend to lean towards the more obscure or unusual games lol. Zelda OOT is a game i have heard much about on many retro forums i haunt but i just find Zelda games in third person boring and nothing but a poor progression for the franchise.
I am not sure i could compile my own personnel Top 100 because i only play retro games they would change on a regular basis except maybe the final 10, so maybe i could sit down one night with a bottle of real ale and think hard and long about a Top 10 or 20.If so i will post it here but i can tell you now Tomb Raider and Doom will most likely be at the top.

drich255
28-01-13, 10:21
Great list of top 100 games! I am glad you mentioned Super Metroid, but it should be on the list instead of Metroid. It is the better Metroid game and probably the best SNES game.

Another game I think deserves to be on the list is Chrono Trigger. Great RPG.

Other great games that the list probably just doesn't have room for are Katamari Damacy and World of Goo. Both have great soundtracks and unique game play.

ebrake
28-01-13, 11:41
One of the better top 100 lists I have seen. No real surprises or gimmicky picks are appreciated. If I had a say, I would have like to have seen Street Fighter 2, Shinobi, Final Fight and Afterburner in there.

Tan Coul
31-01-13, 01:23
although i understand the popularity of Galaga i do not like it preferring Galaxians

It's not just me then :) Maybe because Galaxians was one of the first two machines I ever played, but I just love the purity, simplicity and discipline it demands over its flashier offspring...

BydoEmpire73
31-01-13, 06:21
Great show, digging it so far. I'm very impressed you've been able to stay on track, keep it moving, and not get too deep into any given game.

I also like Galaxian more than Galaga. Something about Galaga was never quite right for me. Maybe it's because Galaxian is a little more forgiving, maybe because it's a little simpler, but it feels like there's more of a flow to it. Whenever I play Galaga it feels very mechanical - go to this spot, shoot, then go to this spot, shoot. Memorize the patterns for the bonus games... repeat. Obviously a billion people love Galaga and it's a true classic, but I play Galaxian way more.

saberman
31-01-13, 09:25
I'm a Galaxian person too.

drich255
01-02-13, 01:05
Another great game that might not have room in the top 100 is Oregon Trail. It was popular in the States, not sure about outside the US.

GameGavel
01-02-13, 01:37
Ya, that was a great game and should have been in there. Pretty historical and ground breaking too! It was a very hard list to put together as you could imagine.

Another great game that might not have room in the top 100 is Oregon Trail. It was popular in the States, not sure about outside the US.

Byte Knight
03-02-13, 07:44
Thanks for the bonus episode! But, how could you guys leave Adventure for the 2600 completely out of a top 100 list???