PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 055 - Take Her Up The Fun Dungeon

miner2049er
31-12-12, 01:08
The final RoundUp of 2012 is finally here, so bring in the New Year with one of our longest ever shows.

Be sure to give the lady in your life a retro treat this holiday season and take her up the fun dungeon.

She'll love you forever.

Hardware Flashback: Fignition Computer - (00:00)
Retro Regurge - (24:35)
Guinness Gaming Records - (42:24)
The British IBM (The British IBM) - (44:15)
Marty Goldberg Interview - (48:48)
The Great And Powerful Oz - (74:12)
Top Ten Konami Arcade Games - (74:42)
Gaming Trivia - (201:22)
It Came From MAME - (201:49)
Hardware Flashback: Homebrew Games - (222:42)
Live News And Listener Views - (250:52)
SoCal Christmas Wrap - (436:27)
Focus On The Prize - (439:40)
Xenon 2 (Bitmap Bros) - (441:03)
URLs And EMails - (446:34)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2012/roundup055_2012.12.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2012/roundup055_chat.htm).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

Listen to the Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2012/RoundUp055_Outtakes.mp3).

SepticLemon
31-12-12, 04:27
Hmm... it's not in the RSS, I even Ctrl+f5 to clear cache and it's still not there.

SepticLemon
31-12-12, 05:06
Ok, on my tablet, I can see the updated RSS with an MP3 in it, but it's the outtakes MP3, not the real podcast.

Vipp
31-12-12, 05:28
Just in time, I just got through the original Drunken MULE and Scotts Boxing Day Special again. Awsome old episodes.

miner2049er
31-12-12, 05:34
The RSS always lags behind the direct download.

It will be there in the next hour.

Chuck D. Head
31-12-12, 05:54
A late Christmas present; thanks guys!

Jammajup
31-12-12, 07:07
Downloading now,i am looking forward to the Top10 and avoided looking at the results in the show notes lol.
Happy New Year Everyone.

SepticLemon
31-12-12, 07:44
Hurrah! the RSS caught up, now I'm listening to it!

Chuck D. Head
02-01-13, 12:09
Scramble #1!! My favorite from the day and so far the only machine I have in my house. I never quite beat it in the day, but after a few days at home, I got to where I can "complete my duties" two or three times per quarter. Here is the key to the end sequence; it is nearly impossible to do without crashing (I did it once); what you need to do is race forward to the end of the plateau before the base, pull back and down and drop bombs when you are right on top of the base. You will crash into the next wall, but the game wont take away a life from you. The time I didn't crash it didnt give me another life, it just forgives a crash in that situation.

Chuck D. Head
02-01-13, 12:13
FYI, when I saw the show title, the first thing I thought of was the Excalibur arcade and was surprised when that was what the reference was. I really enjoyed the Exalibur as a whole, especially since I thought it looked cheesy from the outside. The Fun Dungeon was pretty cool with helpful staff and working games; until you hit the back of the arcade. When you were last there was there still a graveyard of dead games in the back corner? I guess it's better than having them on the main floor, but geez find some pipe and drape to hide them.

Vipp
02-01-13, 12:56
I thought the 'Fun Dungeon' was the muddy closet and if you try to get in you get a slap???

Burgertime
02-01-13, 07:44
Being in the New England area, we don't have a Fun Dungeon. We just stick it in the FunSpot. :p
With the arcades I typically went into when I was younger, I don't even think they even had a Track and Field machine. So yeah, I've never played it.

ebrake
02-01-13, 03:30
Thank you! Something to do while Im at work today. Any chance you can make the show 12 hours?

Vipp
02-01-13, 11:54
Im not sure if anyone answered Scotts question but i can honestly say i would never and have never played Track and Field, I would rather lick piss off nettles than play a sports game. :)

ebrake
03-01-13, 05:18
Im not sure if anyone answered Scotts question but i can honestly say i would never and have never played Track and Field, I would rather lick piss off nettles than play a sports game. :)

Right here. One of my favorite multiplayer games. I had several friends who would play this but not any other sport game.
I was crap with the run button config but a master whenever I got to play on a trackball machine.

RIP Malibu Grand Prix Dallas :(

Chuck D. Head
03-01-13, 06:12
I would rather lick piss off nettles than play a sports game. :)

Speaking of piss on nettles; If you live in nettle country, please be careful when you wander away from the BBQ to take a drunken piss in the dark. A sleepless night of swollen nettle dick syndrome is a bitter experience. #ow my dick

SubaruBrat
04-01-13, 02:25
Looks like the prize goes to Vipp.

And add a (*) to your post in this thread if you are down for the fun Dungeon.

(*)

LovelyWong
05-01-13, 06:23
I remember Time Pilot '84.
The only downside for me was that I remember that the first time I saw it, it was in a converted Defender cabinet.
Oh the sacrilege.

Brumisator
06-01-13, 01:51
Thanks for keeping me sane...well..."sane" during a 10 hour car trip.

LovelyWong
08-01-13, 05:21
Right here. One of my favorite multiplayer games. I had several friends who would play this but not any other sport game.
I was crap with the run button config but a master whenever I got to play on a trackball machine.

RIP Malibu Grand Prix Dallas :(

I remember playing Track & Field a lot with a friend back then as well as by myself. I have even played it with 3 other people for great 4 player action.
I also enjoyed hearing the sound of the buttons being mashed upon entering an arcade that had one.
As far as a machine goes that had a track ball, yes it gave me better scores, but I only saw one machine with that configuration.
That said, for me it is a great game and I will play it at expos and conventions and any other place that I may encounter it.

eldphm
08-01-13, 07:31

For a second there I thought that you were a BIG Bergerac and Midsummer murders fan, then I realized that there were no capital N in nettles. Kudos for the disturbing mental picture though, a well earned win.

Vipp
08-01-13, 10:59
For a second there I thought that you were a BIG Bergerac and Midsummer murders fan, then I realized that there were no capital N in nettles. Kudos for the disturbing mental picture though, a well earned win.

Thanks, but that Win belongs to Steve Coogan for his Saxondale tv series, in it he tells a sales man that he would rather lick piss off nettles than enter a competition. lol. i found it so funny i had to use it here, to be honest i though UK Mike would have commented on it but maybe he hasnt yet seen Saxondale?

miner2049er
08-01-13, 11:09
Saxondale is probably the only thing Steve Coogan has done that I didn't really like.

It was OK but nowhere near as good as anything else he's done.

Vipp
08-01-13, 11:13
Ah, i agree. It took me a whil to get into it but if you have netflix you will understand that good programs are very far and few between so we have moved onto second rate comedy now. still when he said licking piss of nettles i couldnt help but laugh. nothing beats cock piss partridge.

miner2049er
09-01-13, 12:05
Cook pass babtridge.

Gordon Bennett
09-01-13, 12:51
Thanks, but that Win belongs to Steve Coogan for his Saxondale tv series, in it he tells a sales man that he would rather lick piss off nettles than enter a competition. lol. i found it so funny i had to use it here, to be honest i though UK Mike would have commented on it but maybe he hasnt yet seen Saxondale?

I know it as a classic bit of "face like a" banter.

Face like a dug licking piss aff a nettle.
Face like a pig's erse wi frostbite
Face like it's been on fire then stamped out wi golf shoes

etc.

saberman
12-01-13, 06:55
I know it as a classic bit of "face like a" banter.

Face like a dug licking piss aff a nettle.
Face like a pig's erse wi frostbite
Face like it's been on fire then stamped out wi golf shoes

etc.

I always though it was 'A face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle'. Although the only time I've heard that phrase, until now, was a long time ago in a previous job. A colleague of mine used it to describe our manager :).

chrisbid
18-01-13, 08:11
re: scott's wiiu

if you keep your wiiu around, pick up a copy of tank! tank! tank!. fantastic multiplayer, think 21st century combat.

the reviews are mediocre, as the single player campaigns get old pretty quickly, but these people share our twitch arcade gaming values.