PDA

View Full Version : Soft mod the wii (from RGR 54)

rickreynolds
07-12-12, 09:53
I have a wii with a dead DVD drive. Can I soft mod it and somehow rip my games via another means and install them onto an external USB drive?

SubaruBrat
08-12-12, 02:08
Very much so, the DVD had to be alive enough that the board responds though so that the Wii thinks it is turning on the drive. What happens is the software redirects the data so that the Wii thinks it is using the drive. You can even strip away most of the drive other than the board and hide the HDD inside the Wii.

To transfer the games you could, borrow a friend's Wii and rip the games to the HDD and then hook it to your Wii. There are a few old LG drives that work only under XP (as far as I know) and Linux with a program called Rawdump that lets you rip images from Wii disk onto a PC to get the image. I have one of those and it works fine, if you can find one, apparently they are sought after.

Leathco
08-12-12, 04:52
I'm wanting to pick up another Wii to softmod it, but I am picky about the one I want. Hoping to find a black one that is backwards compatible with Gamecube for cheap

SubaruBrat
08-12-12, 05:49
They all have GC ports and memory card slots, I have not heard of any that don't support GC games?

Chewchilla
08-12-12, 07:30
I'm wanting to pick up another Wii to softmod it, but I am picky about the one I want. Hoping to find a black one that is backwards compatible with Gamecube for cheap

Just make sure the black Wii you find has Gamecube support by checking to see if it has Gamecube ports and memory card slots. In October of 2011 Nintendo released a version of the Wii in the US (the New Super Mario Bros. bundle) designed to sit horizontally rather than vertically and Gamecube support was removed.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/10/wiibundle.jpg

random_dave
08-12-12, 09:51
The good news is that "Classic" Wiis with all the ports are dropping to around 30 in the 2nd hand markets. With them being so stackable i was almost tempted to buy a few to make a linux cluster

Re: the first post, if you can't find a nearby friend to rip your discs, there are plenty of *cough* friends on the *cough* internet ;)

Brumisator
26-12-12, 05:18
As a heads-up, my wii had beensitting unused for a long time, just like pretty much everyone else's, so I soft-modded it.
It worked beautifully, and I am able to play any game off a simple USB thumbdrive.

That was a year ago, my Wii is now back to dust-gathering duty. It was fun for a while, but eh...a new way to play the same games doesn't change what the games are.