PDA

View Full Version : Midway Arcade Origins

GameGavel
08-11-12, 08:02
Just picked this up. Pretty nice compilation with 30+ games and online leaderboards. $30 and a buck a game is totally worth it. Nice to play them on my couch with PS3 wireless controllers. 3rd place on Satans Hollow now :)

Anyone else picking this up this week?

retroshaun
08-11-12, 08:55
Yeah nice set of games even though I own them in several different formats. I only have the PS3 and 360 hooked up to the big TV so this may be a good purchase. The Live Arcade version of Robotron on the 360 is pretty poor so it would be nice to have the real thing.

Burgertime
08-11-12, 10:50
I saw this, and was very tempted to pick it up. There wasn't that much advertising for it, and I hadn't heard anyone really mentioning it until this week.

GameGavel
08-11-12, 11:47
Yeah nice set of games even though I own them in several different formats. I only have the PS3 and 360 hooked up to the big TV so this may be a good purchase. The Live Arcade version of Robotron on the 360 is pretty poor so it would be nice to have the real thing.

I have played about 100 games of Robotron trying to get in the top-7. Still at #8. The harder I try the worse I get at this game :) This has to tbe the best arcade game ever! Kind of wish Moon Patrol was part of this comp.

GameGavel
09-11-12, 02:05
Robotron is way harder with a PS3 dual shock. Your movement is almost to fluid and fast. Fun but damn challenging. Only logging in about 90K for a high score so far. Still 8th place overall. Moved up to second place overall on Satan's Hollow - what an awesome game!

SepticLemon
03-12-12, 09:34
Oh, for UK forum members, shopTo.net, has Midway Arcade Origins on the PS3 and 360 on offer for 9.99 with free delivery.

http://www.shopto.net/ps3/PS3MI08-midway-arcade-origins

I just ordered my copy!

Vipp
04-12-12, 08:25
My fiancee got me this game from a small game shop in Nottingham, i can't actually believe how hard some of these games are. MArble Madness and Rampart are taking up a lot of my time. Septic you need to confirm me as a PS3 friend and join me when your copy arrives, we can play some arcade together.

retroshaun
31-01-13, 10:33
So I picked this up today. Lovely selection of games but I am just not sure about emulation integrity! Robotron seems WAY too fast (I have played this game a LOT on original hardware). Yes, part of it is that the dual shock / any type of analogue sticks just don't feel right at all, but everything is moving much faster than it should. I noticed this in a couple other games too (Gauntlet for example). After a few games on Robotron I got to a little over 100k and thats a TERRIBLE score, so something is up. Still, its a metric tonne better than the horrible Xbox Live version!

OK I am off to try Defender. I will definitely regret that! :)

retroshaun
01-02-13, 01:08
BTW how do I get my scores on the leaderboard? I have a few that should be there but aren't. Am I missing something? Do I need to somehow submit them?

GameGavel
01-02-13, 01:48
I remember it took a while for them to update it with my scores as well. They should appear soon enough. I might have to get back on there and defend my Satan's Hollow score. Is it even still on there?

focusrs
01-02-13, 02:37
I remember it took a while for them to update it with my scores as well. They should appear soon enough. I might have to get back on there and defend my Satan's Hollow score. Is it even still on there?

Not for long if I have any say about it!!!!!! I must defeat Socal!

retroshaun
01-02-13, 02:40
Yep its still there - bottom of 2nd page I think.

Vipp
01-02-13, 04:02
I have to say that i just aint that good at the classic games on this disc, how on earth you guys kill sinistar is insane to me, even with good advice from you veterans i still get my ship crushed before i drop a bomb. It is a real shame that midway didn't support online multi-player.

Burgertime
02-02-13, 04:41
Sinistar didn't give me as much trouble as Smash TV and Vindicators Part 2 are. I'm still missing the trophies for those two, and the sports titles. Spy Hunter 2 as well, because I can't get the hang of the game.

Vipp
02-02-13, 11:00
The sports titles i will never be able to complete, i have no idea how to play any sports game and one of them is an american footbll style game so i have no chance, i did complete vindicators but the trophy never popped? after a while i managed to get a hold of the controls but i was laughing at waynes world on the other PS3 at the time of playing so that might be why i was not doing so well. Socal is on the second page of scors for Satan's Hollow! as mentioned above. Marble MAdness doesnt play like the older version does for some reason, the marble is much harder to slow downs and navigate.

retroshaun
06-02-13, 07:50
I have to say that i just aint that good at the classic games on this disc, how on earth you guys kill sinistar is insane to me, even with good advice from you veterans i still get my ship crushed before i drop a bomb. It is a real shame that midway didn't support online multi-player.

To kill Sinistar simply get a LOT of sinibombs (mine the asteroids and pick up the glittery things). You need probably a line and a half of em, how ever many that is. As soon as Sinistar comes on screen, fire them all off in quick succession while moving away from him. Done!

Doing it on level 2, however, is a different matter :)

retroshaun
06-02-13, 07:55

Well, something is definitely f--k'd here. Its been well over a week of owning this and I have many scores that should be up there but for whatever reason only one (I assume early) score is there for Satans Hollow. Nothing else. I say it was an early score because its really low - somewhere around the mid 300s. By my reckoning I should be on the 1st or 2nd screen. I have gone through every game - no scores uploaded.

So what gives? Should this be done automatically? I log into PSN when I fire up the disc. Somehow its simply not sending these scores over.

Also - whats the difference between regular play and Score Attack? And does that matter to high score tables? Same for adjusting game settings - does that impact uploading of scores? (I don't think I did, I think its on default... but I am clutching at straws here).

Maybe this inability to upload is why some of the high scores are surprisingly... low.

I knew I should have stuck to the 360 :(

Nurmix
06-02-13, 09:35
To kill Sinistar simply get a LOT of sinibombs (mine the asteroids and pick up the glittery things). You need probably a line and a half of em, how ever many that is. As soon as Sinistar comes on screen, fire them all off in quick succession while moving away from him. Done!

Doing it on level 2, however, is a different matter :)

Sort of off topic, but I've been playing the hell out of Sinistar on my MAME cab recently. Great game, despite my less than stellar abilities at at, but I'm improving... certainly much better at it than I was as a kid!

tomtom2play
04-05-13, 09:45
Anyone still playing this collection? I picked up and Wally World last week and am having a lot of fun with it. I have been wanting to play A.P.B. for a long time and was pleasantly suprised to see it on here.
I am 3rd overall on Joust 2 right now.
I think I may try to pick up a joystick to use or this.

Burgertime
05-05-13, 12:43
I'm going to get back to playing it at some point.
I've been working on getting some games out of my backlog, and then clearing up shelf space.

Vipp
05-05-13, 10:16
I want to get 100% on this set of games but i still can't kill Sinistar no matter how many bombs i try to feed him. It still gives me hours of fun however so i still play the game. :)

tomtom2play
05-05-13, 12:33
I want to get 100% on this set of games but i still can't kill Sinistar no matter how many bombs i try to feed him. It still gives me hours of fun however so i still play the game. :)
No doubt. That game should be a gold trophy, it is really hard.

tomtom2play
05-05-13, 12:39
For Spy Hunter 2 in order to get the trophy is literally play for 15 straight minutes over and over again.
The trophy is named "Saint" and for good reason the game is terrible.

I think SoCal mentioned Moon Patrol earlier in this post IMO this would have been a better choice than SH2.

One other thing can any of you educate me on how there are Atari games in this collection, i.e. A.P.B. and 720?

Nurmix
07-05-13, 12:46

Sinistar is a TOUGH game. I played it occasionally when I was a kid, but wasn't very good.

I've improved these days, playing it on my MAME cab. But that's not ideal, since the original game used a rather unique 49-way joystick (and my MAME cab only has an 8-way / 4-way switchable joystick).

I'm working on getting a dedicated Sinistar for my arcade though. It's one of my "must have" arcade games.

tomtom2play
11-05-13, 01:24
Well, something is definitely f--k'd here. Its been well over a week of owning this and I have many scores that should be up there but for whatever reason only one (I assume early) score is there for Satans Hollow. Nothing else. I say it was an early score because its really low - somewhere around the mid 300s. By my reckoning I should be on the 1st or 2nd screen. I have gone through every game - no scores uploaded.

So what gives? Should this be done automatically? I log into PSN when I fire up the disc. Somehow its simply not sending these scores over.

Also - whats the difference between regular play and Score Attack? And does that matter to high score tables? Same for adjusting game settings - does that impact uploading of scores? (I don't think I did, I think its on default... but I am clutching at straws here).

Maybe this inability to upload is why some of the high scores are surprisingly... low.

I knew I should have stuck to the 360 :(

Score Attack is the only way to get your scores posted.

Vipp
14-05-13, 12:01
GUYS I JUST KILLED SINISTAR! Thats the first time i have ever killed him and i feel like i achieved something, i give my full respect for anyone who has managed to beat Sinistar in an Arcade or otherwise, this ship is as hard as nails.

tomtom2play
14-05-13, 01:31
GUYS I JUST KILLED SINISTAR! Thats the first time i have ever killed him and i feel like i achieved something, i give my full respect for anyone who has managed to beat Sinistar in an Arcade or otherwise, this ship is as hard as nails.

That is freaking AWESOME!!! Congratulations!

focusrs
14-05-13, 01:32

ya he is a real sinibast@$!

Vipp
14-05-13, 09:44
Thanks TomTom and Focus, i had been stuck on Sinistar for some time, this morning i finally got my platinum trophy for the game so im happy now, Smash TV has got to be the hardest in the pack besides Sinistar. If nurmix gets his Sinistar cab i am going to swim over to the US and hitch a ride to his arcade for the day, that has to be a great cabinet. 'I Hunger' lol

Nurmix
14-05-13, 07:02
If nurmix gets his Sinistar cab i am going to swim over to the US and hitch a ride to his arcade for the day, that has to be a great cabinet. 'I Hunger' lol

You're always welcome, Vipp!

Vipp
14-05-13, 11:06
im not sure i could swim that far but if i ever try i will be sure to stop by. lol. i would end up looking like one of the drowned people in Creepshow 1. Creepshow 1 and 2 are brilliant films. Hey Nurmix do you plan to buy a projector so you can project midnight movies like El Topo and Night of the living dead? thats the one thing i would have in my arcade as an additional extra if i could.

Nurmix
15-05-13, 01:42
...do you plan to buy a projector so you can project midnight movies like El Topo and Night of the living dead? thats the one thing i would have in my arcade as an additional extra if i could.

I hadn't really thought of that. Sounds interesting, but as I fill it up with games there won't be much room left. It's only a 12' x 11' space.