PDA

View Full Version : Best all-round GBA mod

random_dave
07-08-12, 11:46
GUYS!

I've been waiting for the winter evenings to start disassembling a GBA SP to see if it transplants to an original GBA case, so that i can use the GBA SP backlit screen and have the most comfortable, brightest GB/GBC/GBA player.

But i have just learned about this cable, that allows you to simply transplant the screen, and not all the guts

Now i just gotta figure out how to use the website to buy one
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14045909056&spm=2014.12367366.0.0

indieseoul
07-08-12, 02:12
Looks like a cool mod. Make sure you put this one on your You-Tube Channel. Guess you better brush up on your Chinese as well. LOL

VideoGameRescue
07-08-12, 04:48
I had a customer come in my shop and tell me about this mod. I think I'm going to attempt it as soon as I "Brush up on my Chinese"

random_dave
08-08-12, 10:11
Do we have an "official" GG Forum chinese translator?

random_dave
16-08-12, 02:37
I have managed to contact the guy, and for a screen (to save me ripping up my AGS-101) a cable and shipping to the UK it comes to $62

That's more than i was hoping to spend, but around the same amount that it often costs to get an AGS-101 over here, so seeing as it means that i don't have to buy and dismantle and rearrange a 101 into an AGB casing i'm gonna give it a bash

saberman
17-08-12, 03:02
GUYS!

I've been waiting for the winter evenings to start disassembling a GBA SP to see if it transplants to an original GBA case, so that i can use the GBA SP backlit screen and have the most comfortable, brightest GB/GBC/GBA player.

But i have just learned about this cable, that allows you to simply transplant the screen, and not all the guts

Now i just gotta figure out how to use the website to buy one
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14045909056&spm=2014.12367366.0.0

Personally I found the SP much more comfortable than that original GBA. Good luck with it though.

random_dave
20-08-12, 12:02
I prefer the non clicky buttons of the GBA and GBMicro over the SP, and I find the SP and the Micro are a little cramped.
The micro has a great battery, but the screen can be a little too small, and obviously it doesn't play orignal/colour Gameboy gams (without emulation on a flash cart)
The SP has a decent rechargeable battery, but the controls and the requirement to use an adapter for the heaphones are annoying.

So for me a GBA with a nice screen would be the best for me. I have an SP lying around just for parts which i may look at putting the battery into the GBA and then turning the SP into a docking station (to utilise the charging circuit)

random_dave
30-08-12, 11:10
Well my bits arrived today, and 30 minutes of a little plastic shaving and soldering later and this is the result
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AQYLlyyIOog/UD_fbf0YhxI/AAAAAAAAAbM/Pq64SeMCmjE/s640/DSC_0327.JPG

If anyone fancies this but doesn't want to get involved in the (tiny) amount of actual modding he even sells pre-modded units. I love it

tomtom2play
03-02-13, 03:17
That is awesome! Did you end up modding in the rechargeable battery as well?

random_dave
04-02-13, 04:53
no, nothing like that yet, i've not really been doing that much tinkering for a while sadly ;(