PDA

View Full Version : Kid Icarus Uprising and 3D Classics Kid Icarus

DragoonMog
24-03-12, 04:23
Picked up my preorder of Kid Icarus Uprising which came with a code for 3D Classics Kid Icarus.

The packaging for the game is nice. Came with a large outer box that has the stand (get to that later) and the normal game box. The box insert has images on both sides and portraits of the characters show through the little holes inside the case. Does not have a full manual, but has a fold out full color reference card/mini poster.

Now the stand is just a plastic fold out podium that is pretty much essential for playing with the default controls. The default controls require you to hold the stylus and use the left stick which does not leave you with much to balance the system. The stand helps, but it does not have much weight and I end up pushing it around the table during play. It would probably be better with the Circle Pad Pro.

Uprising plays like an on the rails shooter during the first part of each level and a third person shooter the rest of the time. This all happens on the top screen. The bottom has images of Pit and the goddess Palutena. Through all the action Pit and her keep up an almost constant stream of jokes and silly banter which is a bit weird.

The game seems to have a lot of replay value. You can spend hearts and make the level more difficult for more rewards. Lot of collectibles and weapon fusion stuff.

You also have the AR Cards which you can battle, but they don't have much in the way of fight animations. You just click fight and see who wins.

Have not tried the multiplayer yet.

It's a bit of a crazy mix of a game with a lot of things going on.

As for the 3D Classic. It has nice backgrounds, 3d effects, and a new save feature, but it's the same old game you love.

indieseoul
24-03-12, 06:20
Cool so have you met the reapers yet?
Expect an upcoming episode of Stalking the Retro where Septic lemon and I discuss the original Kid Icarus and of course the new one for the 3DS. So how many of you will be picking this game up? Does anyone know if you can get more AR cards without spending Nintendo points? Damn I hope this game isn't a total failure. I would really like to see this become a profitable IP for Nintendo.

DragoonMog
24-03-12, 10:17
I read that you can get more cards at events that will be held at cons and stores. They are giving some away to Nintendo Club Members. I got one from the latest issue of Game Informer and I think the latest issue of Nintendo Power has one.

Burgertime
25-03-12, 05:30
There's apparently going to be cards at Pax East. I already have a ton of cards scanned into my system because people post pictures of them for their auctions, and the 3DS can read them :p Still want to collect them though.
I'm left handed, so the default controls aren't very good for me. I instead set the A,B,X,Y buttons to move the cursor around. The Circle Pad Pro (from what I've been hearing) is only able to move Pit around, so it's more for the left handed user, and not meant to be used along with the other analog stick. From what I've been hearing, this has to do with the time between the CPP being known to the developers and the release date. Now if only the blasted thing wasn't so difficult to find. A Gamestop exclusive, and people buy them up to resell for more money online.
Been replaying levels, so I've only finished up to level 3 so far. Really loving this game.

random_dave
26-03-12, 03:36
mine turned up today, finding the stand pretty useful
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/546876372.jpg?key=459816&Expires=1332773503&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=PZWOI9zZ5yJdXW51HEX7tTEk33nygw-Q6WeKBBZ52AkhHYksbzKWelrKIqc8JTkuGlVmtAEkGY-Gr-S9zR7FRwhPPCN1VYmKsGneobekW57VD3M02ylRDz5yBhh6HEyf uVBLvHFI-nUowjwZFuB9xULlUT-RInG3A1g1WQqgi3I_

although i prefer this nintendo stand :)
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/546900881.jpg?key=459816&Expires=1332773566&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=tQIAOF02C6tY4v3LO2vpGM4Hu9Nnr0~x8mlklgDo KJAdpR8IbiQJ9FY~alEWlv4NX3wyRGDzEJawOGlDtgJaFX9Pfy uAlLhkMypIZHUlU3virNBeU9Gx2Ve-mcfpHKCJjjcNaJ-w1L-5M51JPqZq6-h46eSoUj65qAAOkr3jf7g_

DragoonMog
06-04-12, 05:10
I got three new AR card out of the April Issue of Nintendo Power (had Epic Mickey 2 on the front). The cards are Poseidon, God of Death Thanatos, and Medusa (Battle). Still have not got the ones from Club Nintendo in the mail.

indieseoul
11-04-12, 01:46
If you are wondering if you should buy Kid Icarus or not perhaps this episode of Stalking the Retro will interest you. Episode 7: The Reapers are Coming! The Reapers are coming! (http://stalkingtheretro.wastedseconds.com/str7.mp3)