PDA

View Full Version : Live 24/7 Chat

miner2049er
29-02-12, 02:54
During this month's Live News segment Burgertime came up with an idea that we could build on a bit. He suggested doing more frequent "Live" chat segments which we mentioned might be hard to schedule for all of us to attend, but obviously the uStream facility is available all month long for people to use if they want to, whether we are there or not.

We have the shout box at the top of the forums but it's not ideal for chat

The other option is to use the chat feature built into the new look website. On the Wibya bar at the bottom right (about 3 icons across) should be a chat option. If it doesn't show you can try a different browser (though it is tested and working in all the main ones).

You can sign in with either a Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo or MySpace account and chat with anybody else signed in.

If you use the same browser each time it remembers your login so every time you go to the site you can see if anybody is in there and chatting.

See you there.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com

indieseoul
29-02-12, 03:14
I'm there now and I'm only wearing my batman outfit!

miner2049er
29-02-12, 03:52
That's more than I'm wearing. I just have a smile on.

Oh, and a hard.

miner2049er
29-02-12, 04:22
.... and now there are 4 of us ....

random_dave
29-02-12, 05:43
Grooming Indiesoul as we speak ;)

random_dave
01-03-12, 12:14
in chat now whilst tweaking a game gear if anyone wants to say hi

Burgertime
01-03-12, 01:44
Cool! This is the sort of thing I was thinking of when I mentioned a live chat for everyone when news isn't being recorded :) Hopefully people will have some fun with it.

Deaf-CD-Thief
01-03-12, 06:12
Are there prizes?

miner2049er
01-03-12, 09:24
I dropped in 3 times and found somebody there each time which is good.

random_dave
01-03-12, 01:46
I think i'm already in a habit of leaving it open in a tab at work, so if I appear to be ignoring you don't worry, i'm probably pretending to look busy

miner2049er
01-03-12, 01:49
I think i'm already in a habit of leaving it open in a tab at work, so if I appear to be ignoring you don't worry, i'm probably pretending to look busy

Or you've locked your screen while you go for a poo.

Deaf-CD-Thief
02-03-12, 06:14
Can you sell stuff in this chat thing? You know, like... maybe RGR CDs?

miner2049er
02-03-12, 09:15
Well yeah but we have no CDs left.

miner2049er
02-03-12, 11:46
The chat window should follow you around the site if you change pages and is on all pages except for a few such as the image galleries and videos where you wouldn't want it anyway.

For those having issues with it or for those who want to leave it open at work I set a page up at http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/chat so it looks like you're actually doing something.

I looked to see if there was a way to make it open in a pop out window but I can't see one.

Don't forget, tonight is Friday night so I expect to see everybody in there, rather than going out and doing stuff like drinking socially and meeting girls/boys. Then tomorrow is Saturday where SoCal is hosting his usual Saturday Night Arcade Party (http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/mini.cgi?station_name=peterhirschberg&site=pro&tm=675).

Nurmix
02-03-12, 05:40
...for those who want to leave it open at work I set a page up at http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/chat so it looks like you're actually doing something.

...like staring at a blank spreadsheet. That doesn't make me look very productive. Good thing I don't have a boss.

GameGavel
02-03-12, 06:12
:)

Deaf-CD-Thief
02-03-12, 10:47
Well yeah but we have no CDs left.

I can sell you some!

miner2049er
03-03-12, 03:15
I updated the chat page and there are now options, woooooh!

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/chat

You can now listen to the Retro Arcade Radio Saturday Night Arcade Party while chatting, all conveniently on one page.

See you there!*

*I might not actually be there as it is the middle of the night here when it's on, but you get what I mean.

indieseoul
03-03-12, 03:37
Funny you should fill in the spreadsheet it makes it look like I'm not getting any work done. Oh wait I'm not!

miner2049er
03-03-12, 05:35
Funny you should fill in the spreadsheet it makes it look like I'm not getting any work done.

Harder than it looks. That is actually a single image of 1 cell repeated over and over, otherwise you can't find a way to do it that suits all possible resolutions, some would look completely wrong with a larger image.

Nurmix
03-03-12, 08:33
I updated the chat page and there are now options, woooooh!

Nicely done.

Brumisator
03-03-12, 08:51
Uh... instead of having some kind of crappy built-in garbage interface, why not a good old reliable IRC channel?

I don't have a twitter, facebook, yahoo or myspace account, and I don't want one.

SubaruBrat
04-03-12, 04:48
I like IRC, I used it during the hacking days, still use it for MAGFEST and some other things, but while it suits our more savvy users the bulk of the world has moved on to easier stuff like FB and twitter. But I know where your coming from. I'll say this about twitter, it is allot of entertainment to follow some sources and you never have to post.

miner2049er
04-03-12, 12:53
I agree, and we need something with as few barriers of entry as possible, and something that needs just a browser that everyone has rather than irc makes it easier for everyone.

dominoid
05-03-12, 12:35
Why not the best of both world and an IRC channel and browser app linked? There's a number of live chat modules that simply display a pre defined IRC channel so the end user doesn't even need to know what an IRC channel is, they just click "chat" and get going.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

digitaldoofus
07-03-12, 07:25
I used to use IRQ all the time with my Saturn and NetLink setup. Chat was fun back then. My favorite chat system of all time was MS "Comic Chat" which used avatars, though. Damn, everything GREAT seems to go by the wayside...

I like IRC, I used it during the hacking days, still use it for MAGFEST and some other things, but while it suits our more savvy users the bulk of the world has moved on to easier stuff like FB and twitter. But I know where your coming from. I'll say this about twitter, it is allot of entertainment to follow some sources and you never have to post.

random_dave
07-03-12, 11:54
i'll be on for a few hours if anyone is about

Gordon Bennett
08-03-12, 06:27
/me has not used IRC for quite some time.