PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Grail of Gameboys: Super Rare Pickup!

indieseoul
03-02-12, 04:28
I really don't want to give too much away so I suggest you just click on this here video and find out what I managed to pick up yesterday. Many of you probably know what this is but I bet that some of you have never heard of this rare line of game boys that was only ever released in Japan. This is not some mail order only device. NO no no! This was actually released as a commercial product. So without further ado Stalking the Retro introduces: The Holy Grail of Game-boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZeT-zMs_4&list=UUi9bZsk3XqcS958FtbAdP9w&index=1&feature=plcp

Or watch it by clicking here!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZeT-zMs_4&list=UUi9bZsk3XqcS958FtbAdP9w&index=1&feature=plcp)

random_dave
03-02-12, 05:05
nice score, I don't think i ever saw any data on how well the battery life held up on them, so i'd be interested in what it's like. I'm always torn between whether i'd want to get one because of the rarity, or be more sensible and put my own backlight in a GBPocket for less money and more tinkering time

indieseoul
03-02-12, 05:24
It's a pretty rare system that sells for outrageous prices on eBay. However I picked mine up for 40 bucks which makes it my score of the year. I wouldn't recommend paying the outrageous eBay prices but if you get lucky like I did it's an awesome find! From what I have heard you get 12 hours of game play with the back light and 20 hours without but since I just bought it I'm not positive that this is correct. The back light is the same one used on Timex indiglo watches back in the day so it still maintains that greenish hue that I love about the original gameboy.

I was lucky and found a shop where the guy didn't know what he had. I plan on writing a blog on this site about how super lucky I was to find it at this price. Especially since here in Korea retro gaming is even more rare than other countries. Thank you for watching my video!

What is your youtube channel? I would like to subscribe and see all of the awesome mods that you have made.

random_dave
03-02-12, 05:51
I don't get to make any videos, i was looking at trying to get some surveillance like socal uses for his swap meets (at least i think that's what i read/heard somewhere) then I could use them for videoing me trying new games and tinkering with things and it's be a lot easier than trying to work out which steps need photos along the way, and then forgetting to do anything with them (although then Scott could laugh at me about my piss poor soldering technique)

random_dave
03-02-12, 05:52
oh, and 40 bucks! you one lucky bucker!

SubaruBrat
03-02-12, 05:53
What a sweet find!

retroshaun
03-02-12, 06:30
Awesome! I had completely forgotten about this and now I want one :)

indieseoul
04-02-12, 03:07
I don't think i ever saw any data on how well the battery life held up on them, so i'd be interested in what it's like. I'm always torn between whether i'd want to get one because of the rarity, or be more sensible and put my own backlight in a GBPocket for less money and more tinkering time I was surprised to discover that the GBPocket gets only 10 hours of gameplay on three AAA batteries whereas the Game Boy Light gets 20 hours without the back light and 12 hours with it on. Another cool factor, that you can see in the video, is that the battery cover is raised in the shape of the two AA batteries that it uses. This gives you a cool grippy back that makes it easier to hold.

Oh and I finally wrote a little blog about the discovery of this unique gem. Make sure you give it a read. (http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/entry.php?b=405)

Chewchilla
04-02-12, 09:17
Nice find! I bought a Game Boy Light when it was released in 1998, but I didn't hold on to it for very long - like most of the portable gaming systems I have purchased over the years.

seanyboyuk
05-02-12, 10:07
I can never understand why Nintendo never released the gameboy light global. It was a great product idea.

indieseoul
06-02-12, 12:35
I can never understand why Nintendo never released the gameboy light global. It was a great product idea.

I'm sure if they had released it back in say 92-95 when Indiglo watches were still all the rage it would have been just as popular if not more than the original game boy. It's just so strange to me that they released it and then six months later killed it by releasing the GBC. I guess it's one of those corporate mysteries that will forever go unsolved. :)

random_dave
06-02-12, 01:57
maybe they knew they were bringing out the non-lit gb color and thought if they brought out a lit gameboy then people would question why the color wasn't lit and not buy it
Considering (myself included, i had long since killed my original gameboy) a lot of folks must have picked up a gameboy color to play pokemon which had just been released at a similar time (at least in Europe)
If all those people had bought a GB light, they wouldn't have picked up GB colors, and then publishers wouldn't have been able to sell new color games as easily and as a variant it may had a premature death, and they wouldn't have been able to keep making mono games at that time, they needed something new to revitalise the marketplace (although pokemon alone was enough to do that)

miner2049er
06-02-12, 02:02
^^ What he said.

seanyboyuk
06-02-12, 10:27
They should have brought the color out as a lit device, it would have sold a lot more for sure.

miner2049er
06-02-12, 11:41
I love the Gameboy Colour but it was understandable that it wasn't backlit.

The Gameboy Advance however, I couldn't believe that wasn't, and it had one of the darkest screens around. It was pretty bad out of the box which is why I modded two of them and added backlights.

Well, front lights actually.

random_dave
07-02-12, 11:55
Alas, the limitations of white LED technology vs. nintendos purse strings

I still need to dismantle a backlit SP and rebuild it in an original GBA to make a nice comfortable GBA with GB compatibility and a kickass screen

Frontlights suck, such a shame that it's the only choice for NGPC and SwanCrystal

Nurmix
08-02-12, 06:21
Awesome find, Indie!
:CHR

I'm sure your plan is to make it a prize in the next Live News, right?

I never had a Game Boy (of any kind). I had a Lynx.

Does this mean I'm no longer allowed to post in the forums?

indieseoul
08-02-12, 09:58
You can have my Game Boy Light when you pry it away from my cold dead hands. I think Charleton Heston said that. LOL
You should really get an original game boy. The green screen gray brick is still my favorite old handheld with the Game Boy Light now in second place.

teknohed
28-02-12, 05:45
wow, this is the first time I've heard of this thing. So un assuming. If I had seen it I'd have passed over it.