PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Wales, Uk

Madstedotcom
13-01-12, 12:49
Hi Guys, Just found the podcast a few months back and been working my way through all the episodes. Does that make me uber retro listening to 2 year old podcasts about retro gaming?. Only up to Jan 2010 but enjoying every one and its helping pass the time while I'm doing the 24 hour endurance races on Gran Turismo 5. Highlight so far as been hearing Alcohol by The Macc Lads on Scott's boxing day special.

Anyways I been gaming since 86 or 87 started on Commodore 16 before realizing the error of my ways and getting a Spectrum. I did have a pretty extensive collection of consoles and computers, with the rarest being a Virtual Boy and a Nomad. However decided to sell most of them when bought a house a few years ago. Currently I have a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and DS. So most retro gaming done on PC and DS through emulators but have recently started collecting GBA games.

Sorry for going on a bit if you want to learn more please check out my blog.

Thanks for a great podcast and hoping to catch up in the next year!!

Ste

SubaruBrat
13-01-12, 12:53
Sweet, unlike other places we like links to our listeners projects. And I can say I have never heard of a C16, any pictures? Welcome to the show!

Madstedotcom
13-01-12, 01:38
Hi

Not sure if this will work

Not my old c16 but a google image result

GameGavel
13-01-12, 01:54
Welcome. Another Brit! Glad you are here and hope you decide to stick around :PAC

miner2049er
13-01-12, 11:03
And I can say I have never heard of a C16, any pictures?

Same moulds as the C64 but a different colour.
Aimed at the entry level to compete with competitors but the the C64 got cheap enough it killed it's competitors and the C16 too.

Vice emulates it well.

Madstedotcom
13-01-12, 08:51
Vice emulates it well.

Never heard of Vice before had a quick look at it and will def be getting it, even if it is just to play the C16 version of Kikstart which I prefered to the other home versions.

Cheers

Ste

miner2049er
14-01-12, 12:02
Vice is awesome and does everything from the PETs to the C128.

I never played Kikstart on C16 but the C64 was one of my favourite games.

Madstedotcom
14-01-12, 09:31
I think the C16 version is different to the C64. I can remember being disappointed when I got the Spectrum version after my C16 died and it was not the same as the C16.

Tan Coul
14-08-12, 12:46
Like the blog, Madstedotcom (or can we call you Mad ;)) - are you going to add to it or did you lose the will to live after that, erm, eclectic buch of games?

Gordon Bennett
14-08-12, 10:07
Oh yes, I remember the C16 well. I believe it was Commodore's intended replacement for the Vic-20 in the budget computing market but turned out less than entirely successful due to their own price cut on the C64 and the enormous installed base already present on the Spectrum.

Commodore User was my gaming magazine of choice at the time. Unlike Zzap, it had extensive coverage of C16/Plus 4 games. Some looked quite good. I definitely, absolutely concur with UK Mike's recommendation of Vice. It's free, feature-packed and emulates the entire run of Commodore 8 bit machines damn near perfectly, even to the point of getting past some code deliberately written to exploit minor bugs in order to detect an emulator.