PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart 7

random_dave
05-12-11, 04:25
So then kiddies, despite this being in (literal) 3D I feel it should be given a pardoning from any of the retro police, if only just because of the fact that so much of it is recycled from every iteration dating back to the snes :LD

I picked it up on friday and I've already managed to spend at least 4 hours playing online races over the weekend, usually in sessions ranging from 45-60 minutes solid at a time and the only thing that has usually stopped the sessions are my battery running out.

Single player i've not been so impressed with, but i'm only going through the 50cc cups at the moment so I may as well be playing with my eyes shut.

So, is anyone else thinking of getting it? If you are, make sure you are in the friend codes thread so that when you boot up the 3DS it can tell you if a friend is online and you can join them with a single press of a button.

It's amazing, it's a decent online feature that Nintendo has implemented that actually works, who'd have thought they'd see that in their lifetime.

TTFN, may see you boys out on track later

GameGavel
08-12-11, 08:55
GameGavel Mario Kart 7 Community - # 49-7443-1163-2380 Come on in and RACE!

GameGavel
09-12-11, 12:25
I have Nintendo thumb. Clocked a couple hours straight with this unlocking all the goodies. Still a long way to go, but I should be somewhat competitive with what I have unlocked so far :) Anyone want to race tonight?

GameGavel
09-12-11, 12:45
It is games like this and Super Mario 3D Land that prove dedicated handhelds are still light years ahead of other mobile devices, for playing video games. The 3DS is really coming into its own and I couldn't be happier for the Big N!

Leathco
09-12-11, 02:54
I'm thinking about buying this one tomorrow. Either this, Tetris axis, or sonic generations.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

GameGavel
09-12-11, 03:00
If you like MK you will love this. I think it's the best version ever! So fun!

Leathco
09-12-11, 03:34
Hmm OK. I'll pick it up tomorrow and post my code here.

random_dave
09-12-11, 11:26
If you like MK you will love this. I think it's the best version ever! So fun!

I will agree that it's the best 'real' 3D mario kart so far, but the snes one still has the edge on it for me

Having said that it's bloody good, it's been universally diregarded at work as 'it's just the same as the wii' but they've all made that judgement based on the first 50cc cup, which is super weaksauce. In my eyes it's a great refinement of the DS and Wii mario karts in terms of mechanics, and fortunately seems to be the most balanced for rewarding skillfull driving, whilst also given the weapons that keep the racing tight.
Touch wood, noone seems to have found anything to exploit on it yet to ruin the online experience (although if the communities build up and keep playing avoiding random matchmaking gets around that)

I've still not unlocked much, as I've only done the 50cc cups as the online mode works so well i tend to just jump on there. I saw that you had added me to your friends list SoCal, so if you see me on and the join button is active feel free to jump in and we can take on the world

I'll add the GG community to my list too, but i think to get the most use out of them it's best to coordinate a time when a few people are all going to go on and join it, in my experience so far with other communities it's worked better to just join friends when you notice they're online and joinable

miner2049er
09-12-11, 11:50
I take exception to the SNES version being the best, no way. Rose tinted glasses going on there.

I think the N64 version was very good and better than the Gamecube version, but the DS is probably the best all round that I've played, though the Wii was excellent too.

I am hoping to get this soon though.

random_dave
09-12-11, 03:49
at the risk of starting a yorkshire/lancashire turf war the DS ad Wii ones are indeed excellently executed, albeit poorly balanced, the snes has purity in it's handling and use of shortcuts that required skill and cunning, the n64 was just garbage, almost worthwhile for the 4 player split-screen, but ultimately just slow pap ;)

But anyway, with that behind us, what's your excuse for not buying this masterpiece yet, huh ;-)

miner2049er
09-12-11, 08:51
3 kids and Christmas.

What I want comes after those. :(

Leathco
09-12-11, 11:09
3 kids and Christmas.

Yup, me too. Thought I had enough for it today, but I'm 20 short after extra Christmas shopping. I'm sure it'll still be there next week.

random_dave
12-12-11, 05:24
3 kids and Christmas.

Buy Mario Kart "for them" (here, let dad have a go and see what it's like)

This is why i couldn't have kids, I barely get paid enough to feed myself and have to wear clothes that are really getting old and falling apart to be able to scrimp for my own toys
I'd have to dress my children in potato sacks but i think the schools have a pretty dim view of that in these post queen victoria days

SubaruBrat
13-12-11, 08:35
Been there done that.

meu2
15-12-11, 11:06
Only played a little bit of MK7 via Download Play, which incidentally required an update, but it seemed like a nice rendition of the Mario Kart formula. I didn’t really bring much new to the table, though the gliders seem to be well integrated, but it’s certainly very polished.

GameGavel
15-12-11, 11:13
We are racing tonight in the GameGavel group. 6 PM Pacific Time, 9 PM Eastern.

GameGavel Mario Kart 7 Community - # 49-7443-1163-2380 Come on in and RACE!

SubaruBrat
16-12-11, 01:01
Got it, see you then!

GameGavel
16-12-11, 03:33
6:30. I am in there waiting for anyone. I will give it a few more mintues.

Chris
16-12-11, 02:03
It ended up being only me and Socal!

GameGavel
16-12-11, 03:40
Scott was having connection issues and we were in a lightening storm and cox internet was on and off. We will try again though. Man, what cart do you have, it's freaking fast?

Chris
17-12-11, 02:02
Scott was having connection issues and we were in a lightening storm and cox internet was on and off. We will try again though. Man, what cart do you have, it's freaking fast?

I think it was just a normal cart with the sponge wheels. Then after that it's just getting those turbos from powersliding. You know about the trick to get a boost at the start right? Hold down the gas after lakitu lights up that second light right before the race starts.

Leathco
21-01-12, 03:24
I can't do anything official, but I'll say this:

I'll be online with Mario Kart 7 this Sunday (the 22nd of January) at noon EST. Anyone here is invited to join me. My 3DS friend code is 1332-7942-2538. I might also load up some Zen Pinball later that evening if anyone things they can take me down.

GameGavel
21-01-12, 09:43
Ok, I will try and make it. Playing some MK7 before we start our Jan Top-10 sounds like a fun morning.

tomtom2play
05-02-12, 12:44
Here is my friend code 0817-3821-6504
I would like to race sometime.

tomtom2play
06-02-12, 02:04
Man I really love this game, but, I need some sort of grip attachment to keep my hands from cramping. :-)

tomtom2play
22-02-12, 02:36
Anybody going to get in the Game Gavel community and race?

miner2049er
29-02-12, 12:10
Going to get into this game now I've pretty much finished 3D Land.

I think the 50cc was way too easy, I won every race and got 3 stars for each cup at the first attempt.

I'm finding the 100cc annoying though. It isn't difficult and I've finished every cup, but winning every race and having 40 coins in each cup should give you 3 stars and it doesn't. That should be reserved for the 150cc and Mirror Levels.

GameGavel
29-02-12, 01:15
Whose up for playing MK 7 now? I am online.

miner2049er
01-03-12, 01:18
I will be going online with this in a wee while if anybody fancies it?

Not for too long though, it's getting late.

tomtom2play
01-03-12, 01:36
Miner
My turn to read to my daughters so I will probably not catch you.
I did get to do a couple of races with you last night (Wednesday), you did awesome.

miner2049er
01-03-12, 09:18
Yeah Tommy, I had some good and bad races, pretty much as normal. ;)

Had a blast last night and won a couple more. What surprised me is that out of 5 or 6 races, my choice of circuit came up 3 times.

miner2049er
03-03-12, 01:46
I'm just not feeling the love for this game. I thought the DS game was amazing but this doesn't really offer enough that's new and I feel like I'm playing the same game again.

I don't really think the airborne or underwater bits offer much that's new or make much difference to the races at all. They could have done something different with it like Diddy Kong Racing did but it just seems a bit of a waste.

What I find most annoying though is the Star system. I have 3 stars on all the 50cc races and a couple of the 100cc races, but I keep doing the first cup and win every race and finish with the maximum 40 coins but I don't get awarded 3 stars. That is stupid, I can't do any better than 40 points and 40 coins.

I've read several guides on this that all say basically the same common sense stuff and to use your weapons wisely. If you're in the lead (which I was most of the time) you tend to get 3 bananas so just leave them armed as a defense from attacks from behind. If you see a CPU driver get a blue shell hit the brakes and fall back to second to avoid it. I did all this more than once in each race and only get 2 stars. That means its fundamentally broken.

I really like the way the online is done because it copies how the Wii did it which is good, and I may do some online stuff if it's planned, but generally I'm not impressed with it.

Needless to say I've put it away and I've gone back to Ocarina Of Time. This time I vow to finish it.