PDA

View Full Version : My C64 heart and soul died (SID chip)

kynrek
04-12-11, 01:38
So I finally got a C64, monitor, disk drive, fastload cart the works. Then I ordered up a new production game and tried it out out and discovered that my C64 does not output any sound on the original monitor or through the RF :(

It really sucks because this C64 was in box pristine, I mean it looks like it was never used at all so I really want to repair this unit but I've got to find a broken C64 with a good SID or just a SID. If anyone has a SID or broken C64 I would be interested in trading for it or buying it.

tcv
04-12-11, 04:04
Where are you located?

Is the SID soldered in or can it be pulled?

kynrek
04-12-11, 04:34
It's not soldered, It can be pulled pretty easily. I am near Cleveland, Ohio in the USA

tcv
04-12-11, 05:33
Well, I have a C64 that I use solely for decorative purposes. It's possible the SID is okay within. Did you want to try it? Are you sure the issue is the chip and not something else?

kynrek
04-12-11, 06:15
Well, I have a C64 that I use solely for decorative purposes. It's possible the SID is okay within. Did you want to try it? Are you sure the issue is the chip and not something else?

I have checked everything else do I am pretty sure that's the problem. I can send it back if it dosent fix it and/ or send mine for yours do it still has a chip in the empty slot.

Thanks

kynrek
05-12-11, 01:12
Wait! Don't touch that c64! I located a candidate with organs good for harvest! The Heart transplant was a complete success! I found one for $20 with a monitor, disk drive and tape drive! Even better I swapped the SID chip and I am Back in business!! I really appreciate your willingness to help.

I've got some c64 Christmas music to find!

SubaruBrat
05-12-11, 01:24
And THAT is why we do this show, you guys are the best.

retroshaun
05-12-11, 06:40
LOL - what a coincidence - I picked up a C64 recently too and finally got my multi cart installed and - no sound! Same problem as yours. So - the SID hunt is on again!

tcv
06-12-11, 06:09
Well, as I mentioned I think mine is up for grabs. I don't know if it works, honestly, but if you want to try...?

retroshaun
06-12-11, 07:30
That would be cool for sure - it can't be any worse than the one I have!!! Send me a PM and we can discuss :)

kynrek
07-12-11, 03:04
Cool, I'm glad that worked out! Good luck Retroshaun :)