PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Computer prices flyer

kynrek
20-10-11, 12:43
A doctor at work was giving me a ton of apple ii stuff (antother post) and made me a copy of a flyer that he found with the older boxed disks that he thought I woud find amusing. I thought I'd scan it and share it so here it is:

http://pcwhizkid.com/images/1981.pdf

tcv
20-10-11, 02:44
Hmmm... Atari and Apple but no Commodore? Maybe that's too early for Commodore? No, the VIC-20 would have been out by the time of the Atari 400. I used to drool over ads like these...

Burgertime
20-10-11, 06:16
I love all the ones on that that say "Call". What? You didn't want anyone in 1981 to have a heart attack about the price? :p I remember my parents paid 2K for the computer we first had in the mid 90's, and no clue how much they paid for the TI-99 we had. So wish I could find that blasted computer. It's somewhere in my parent's house, and I have the cartridges for it.

I've always wanted to see what's now in the locations of these old businesses. Would there still be a building? Did they pave paradise to put up a parking lot? I wonder if this would make an interesting video or audio segment for the site/show. I've seen James Rolfe go on quests to find movie locations. Classic gaming locations could be worth looking at.

chalksalad
20-10-11, 06:50
Hmmm... Atari and Apple but no Commodore? Maybe that's too early for Commodore? No, the VIC-20 would have been out by the time of the Atari 400. I used to drool over ads like these...
Commodore was there from the ground floor with the PET. From what I understand by reading "Commodore, a Company on the edge" for various reasons, not least Tramiels volatile character and ruthless business practises, Commodore used non traditional outlets so it was common to not find PETs and VICs at the same stores as TIs, APPLEs, TRSs and Ataris.

kynrek
20-10-11, 05:57
Someone I work with said she used to sell commodore systems at RadioShack years ago.

tcv
21-10-11, 04:42
I love all the ones on that that say "Call".

Or how about "Price too low to print! Please call!"

So low that, were we to print it, the ink that tried to form the numbers would create a black hole and destroy the entire universe. Is that what you want? Then call!