PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 040 - Wink Martindale Has My Hair

miner2049er
17-10-11, 09:42
The October show lands sooner than expected for your listening pleasure.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you SoCal Mike and a Top Ten about joysticks.

Editorial: The Game Room Pt2 - (00:00)
Retro Regurge: Miner 2049er - (25:26)
Dragon 32/64 Computers - (29:27)
Hardware Flashback: Williams PHOF (3DS) - (48:51)
Williams PHOF (3DS) Rebuttal - (61:34)
Guinness Gaming Records - (75:40)
Geoff Edwards Interview Pt2 - (77:18)
Top Ten Game Controllers - (124:42)
Gaming Trivia - (257:35)
The British Hour - (259:53)
Live News And Listener Views - (272:49)
20 Questions - (372-54)
You Be My Princess Peach (The Disco King) - (374:53)
URLs And EMails - (377:24)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup040_2011.10.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup040_chat.htm).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

Leathco
18-10-11, 12:38
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you SoCal Mike and a Top Ten about joysticks.

This has potential to be the greatest segment in the history of RGR.

Byte Knight
18-10-11, 05:18
Wow, you guys are really crankin' 'em out! I just finished listening to last month's episode...

Dhalamar
18-10-11, 05:44
It helps for me that it was released so early in the week. So I should be able to get through it all probably Wednesday morning. Then I'm going to switch over to my Christopher Hitchens audio book. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Leathco
18-10-11, 12:17
Skipped and listened to the news before work this morning. Better mention I can only make it to chat if it falls on a Wednesday or Sunday, thanks to my work hours. I have a computer at work, but corporate limits the sites I can go to, which leaves my cell phone having the only true internet access at work.

Thanks for the welcome to the blog team. I appreciate it. Hoping everyone likes how the blog is right now, with both me and Burgertime posting there's close to daily updates on it.

Compute
18-10-11, 12:49
Listened to this at work today, great show as usual. Next time I send in news I'll make sure to tell you how to pronounce my last name, or at least give you my forum name.

And Quickshot 2? F-that. My mother bought us one of those with our NES back in the day. That stick sucks for platformers :P

bill_loguidice
18-10-11, 09:59
I don't get a chance to log in much anymore, but I wanted to give you guys kudos for the Geoff Edwards interview. Fascinating stuff.

miner2049er
18-10-11, 10:32
Thanks Bill, it was the biggest surprise interview so far for me. We could have ended up with an 80 year old man mumbling his way through a 30 minute snoozefest, but you can clearly tell he is a born entertainer and still razor sharp.

Very interesting man with a lot of tales to tell.

Chuck D. Head
18-10-11, 11:30
In the middle of a shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty week at work and you guys deliver me an unexpected early show. This should help me make it through, thanks!!! Morgan

SubaruBrat
19-10-11, 05:21
Chuck, glad to help

Bill, as a long time leader of the hobby, well shit, keep in touch, you rock.

Compute, we stink at names, but we do mean the best.

Dhalamar
19-10-11, 07:46
Bob Barker's finest on screen moment.

"I think you've had enough. No? ... NOW you've had enough. Bitch."

http://youtu.be/msEhj2NuuPM

Dhalamar
19-10-11, 09:27
I'm almost done with UK's part of the top ten, and I'd just like to point out that I'm American and I drive a 5 speed manual by choice. So bite me. :P

Dhalamar
19-10-11, 11:17
I hate to say it but I'm to the part of the top 10 where socal's having problems ... knowing that piece of shit Gamecube controller is coming, I wasn't that heartbroken. Lol

Dhalamar
19-10-11, 12:04
No love or mention of the last sane controller design (that I know of) Nintendo released until the recent Classic Controller : the NES dogbone controller?

Leathco
19-10-11, 03:49
I was surprised that most of the controllers were from the early era or the close to modern era. Not disappointed by any means, just surprised. I still push that the NES Advantage was an awesome home stick for its day, built like a tank.

Speaking of tank, I was surprised the X-Arcade ranked as high as it did. I own one, have actually been a long time owner. My first MAME cabinet had one back in 2002 or 2003. When I moved I stripped the cab (it was all handmade, nothing original), I kept the beast of a controller. I have adapters for the Dreamcast and PC for it, though I'm tempted to drop the cash for PS2, PS3, and 360 connectors. The controller has worked fine for me, but that idea Scott had about modding a 60 in 1 into it kinda interests me......

random_dave
19-10-11, 03:49
Snes controller clearly should have been in the top 10, but anyway...

Wondering about your skewed Sheffield listening figures, now it could be that there's still a lot of Just Micros/Gremlin Graphics folks/fans that listen to the show, or perhaps it's more of the fine folk at Sumo (although if they are noones mentioned that they've heard me submit the odd bit of news)
So that just leaves the other alternative, my phone automatically checks for new podcasts every 8 hours and whilst on my house wifi, often, especially with long podcasts that take a while to download I leave the house, and cut off the wifi. This means it has to do it again later, I reckon i could easily rack up a few extra hits a month like that! ;-)

indieseoul
19-10-11, 04:52
This month's podcast has to be one of the best ever! The interview with Geoff Edwards is incredible. He is such a funny and interesting personality and his stories were legendary. I can't believe that the game pube controller made it but the dual shock which predates it didn't make it in the top ten. Dhalamar is right the dog bone controller is much better than the original nes controller since it doesn't give you nintendo hand like the first iteration did. Also Scott I see why you got angry with cracked.com for getting shit wrong but the site actually does contain some decent articles from time to time. For example if it weren't for cracked most people would have no idea how awesome and ferocious the honey badger is! Look up honey badger on you-tube right away! These days Mad magazine is completely unfunny, boy I miss the early days of that magazine.

Good call on that book "Ready Player One" I just started reading it today and I am instantly hooked. If you were alive in the 80's it's a must read novel. This month's British hour was also hilarious and as a guy from Kansas yes I know I'm not in Kansas anymore and I hear that every time someone asks me where I'm from!

Keep it Hetero!

Compute
19-10-11, 10:35
Compute, we stink at names, but we do mean the best.

Oh, I know. It's cool. We used to keep track of telemarketers' mis-pronunciation of our last name. Usually they just leave the last 3 letters off. My mom would even chat them up about it. It could be worse. Next time I'll bust out my Polish heritage and use "Szydgik" instead ;)

tcv
20-10-11, 02:51
Very much enjoyed the Dragon history. I had heard about those particular systems a lot but never used nor seen one in person.

Chewchilla
20-10-11, 04:02
Part two of the Geoff Edwards interview was excellent! Great job again guys! :CLP

SubaruBrat
20-10-11, 04:57
Fuck us, Geoff was the talent in that interview.

It is always funny talking to someone of that generation. You never know if they are squeaky clean or a regular Don Rickles. And you never know what modern references they are up on or could bury you with. We really enjoyed talking to Geoff and are pleased to pass it along to you.

tcv
21-10-11, 04:45
Geoff Edwards was amazing. What a neat interview. One of my favorite video game memories in being on vacation with my parents. We were back at the hotel room so they could rest and my brother an I were bored. We found a rerun on Starcade on. Bliss!

miner2049er
21-10-11, 01:14
Wondering about your skewed Sheffield listening figures, now it could be that there's still a lot of Just Micros/Gremlin Graphics folks/fans that listen to the show, or perhaps it's more of the fine folk at Sumo (although if they are noones mentioned that they've heard me submit the odd bit of news)

That could be a factor, yes.

my phone automatically checks for new podcasts every 8 hours and whilst on my house wifi, often, especially with long podcasts that take a while to download I leave the house, and cut off the wifi. This means it has to do it again later, I reckon i could easily rack up a few extra hits a month like that! ;-)

I would presume that for everyone in Sheffield that does that, there is somebody, if not two people, in London that do it too.

random_dave
21-10-11, 02:40
I would presume that for everyone in Sheffield that does that, there is somebody, if not two people, in London that do it too.
I was assuming they'd have bankers wage speedy phones and super speed city southern broadband and would suffer far less of my mining-class network dropouts, but i see how your reasoning is sensible ;)

bill_loguidice
21-10-11, 08:37
It was nice to hear about the pedal controller in the top 10, something I don't think I knew existed until around 2004. Interestingly, that controller received something of a minor revival (in a niche within a niche) when AtariAge started to carry it for use with homebrew games like Thrust+: http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=37 (sadly, it looks like they no longer carry the pedal controller). I reviewed Thrust+ Platinum edition circa 2004 and discussed its use with the foot pedals: http://www.armchairarcade.com/aamain/content.php?article.41 .

miner2049er
21-10-11, 09:05
I imagine it would work pretty well with a game like that, or 1985 on the C64.

It was a really well built thing too.

Gordon Bennett
22-10-11, 07:33
I was wondering if anyone has played the game Revs on the C64 with an analogue controller. It has some very smooth scrolling through a 3D cockpit display which was quite impressive at the time, but is the only game I can think of offhand that really cries out for one. Using the standard digital joystick is a frustrating process of slowly moving the steering through its range of possible motion. Has anyone found a way to to use this game properly on an emulator, either with a mouse or an analogue stick on the PC?

Antiriad2097
23-10-11, 10:10
I was a little surprised to hear the Quickshot 2 being described as an accurate microswitched device. The original models all used leaf switches that snapped very quickly due to their design. Microswitches didn't arrive until the Quickshot 2 Turbo (the one with the red base). This made the old floppy stick much more useful as the travel wasn't so vague. Not a great all rounder for me but it did see use with flight sims where it seemed more appropriate (and left a hand free for keyboard controls). I'd have thrown the Comp Pro (microswitched, naturally) into the 2600's slot though ;)

Do we get a follow up 'worst controller' slot?

SubaruBrat
23-10-11, 11:56
That just jogged my memory on a stick that I forgot about. I had one for a flight sim, it was black and red, and had a big dial to adjust tension. It could range anywhere from impossible to move to floppy, I can't recall the brand or model.

Duke.Togo
24-10-11, 02:23
Great show guys, especially the Geoff Edwards interview. He NEEDS to be at CGE next year. I want to take part in a new Starcade!

GarrickGreathouse
24-10-11, 04:11
I enjoyed the show this month, and interview being particularly entertaining.

Scott, what Terminator game for the Gamecube wasn’t brought to the states? Nintendo put very few restrictions on the Gamecube, so I doubt they had anything to do with it not coming out in the US. Like the Altered Beast re-make (another rare European exclusive), it was probably terrible and the publisher decided to not risk pushing out a potential failure.

About Crack’s list. I don’t read the Cracked website, but I do want to defend them on two points. The first time I heard of the Vectrex was in the late 90’s in an article on the Vectrex Emulator. A close friend of mine is a videogame and I introduced him to the Vectrex about two years ago. The Vectrex isn’t as well known or remembered as you might think.

Second, the Supergrafx actually had 7 games. The Supergrafx wasn’t the same thing as the Turbo Grafx. It was a crazy expensive, upgraded version of the PC-Engine that was designed to play perfect ports of arcade games. It flopped in Japan when it was released in 1989.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the Top 10 and can’t argue with it. While I believe early PSX games should be considered retro, the Dual Shock was designed almost entirely for Metal Gear Solid, and that’s where I personally believe the current modern era of gaming began. I’m also surprised nobody went smart ass and campaigned for “The Micro Switch” or “Convex Buttons” as their number one.

GarrickGreathouse
24-10-11, 06:07
Oh Scott, I’m surprised you didn’t know Bungie (the makers of the Halo series) were making games for nearly a decade before Halo came out. The Mac was their base platform for well-known series like Marathon and Myth. They also made Oni for the PS2.

I bet you also didn’t know that Halo started at an isometric strategy game. During development they decided to zoom the action into first person.

http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/the-more-you-know.jpg

tcv
25-10-11, 09:30
Edit: I screwed myself. I thought the song was by America. It was by "Bread."

Also: I really didn't mean the America segment. I meant the song. Yucky poo.

ok... NO MORE SURPRISE "Bread" IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PODCAST!!

Gah! I can't get that damn song out of my head now.

Here's my attempt to rid myself of it by rewriting the lyrics...

You told me not to fart/
not to fart/
not to far-ar-ar-art/
you said I'd probably shart/
prolly shart/
prolly shar-ar-ar-art/
the finest advice it came from you/
it helped me avoid a certain poo/
and I would give everything I own/
give up my life, my heart, my home/
I would give everything I own/
just to hear you talk 'bout poo

I'm here all week.

Antiriad2097
25-10-11, 11:00
the Dual Shock was designed almost entirely for Metal Gear Solid

Not for any of the significant number of games that were released between the Dual Analogue launch in '97 and MGS in '98?

Ape Escape was the first Dual Shock only game (with no alternate control scheme for digital pads), but other earlier games also supported it (e.g. Porsche Challenge).

miner2049er
26-10-11, 12:47
I remember the launch of Ape Escape as analog only, and remember at the time thinking "What a mistake."

tcv
26-10-11, 03:21
By the way, I want to quickly say that I really enjoy the editing on the podcast. I think it's top notch, especially the musical bumpers.

What is the music right before Born In The USA?

SubaruBrat
26-10-11, 03:34
Scott, what Terminator game for the Gamecube wasn’t brought to the states? Nintendo put very few restrictions on the Gamecube, so I doubt they had anything to do with it not coming out in the US. Like the Altered Beast re-make (another rare European exclusive), it was probably terrible and the publisher decided to not risk pushing out a potential failure.
The EU version that I played on a German PS showed a bit more ass so I am not sure if this PS2 trailer is more that or this, but the clip is pretty close to the GameCube EU version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-AHxPj9_w

If you are not a Terminator fan you will miss allot, if you are you will love seeing an animation of the Skynet time displacement equipment.

miner2049er
26-10-11, 11:57
By the way, I want to quickly say that I really enjoy the editing on the podcast. I think it's top notch, especially the musical bumpers.

Thanks, it's a lot of effort but worth it if it's appreciated.

What is the music right before Born In The USA?

I think you mean the Thames TV ident.

In my youth we only had 3 TV Channels that all went off during the night. We only had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV. ITV was the only one that had commercials and was an independent station that broadcast shows from regional and independent companies like Thames TV, and most of my favourite shows were made by Thames so it always signalled it was time to sit in front of the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuN5QiUk00E

The evenings TV would always end with the playing of the National Anthem, and the older generation would stand for it. Yes, in front of the TV.

Some would even watch after it went off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKbj5jENbc

All Your Base
26-10-11, 05:39
I was moved to laughter by an act of supreme unintended irony by SoCal in this podcast.

At one point Scott referred to a gaming system as being "Retarded".

Straight away, recognising that this was arguably politically incorrect, SoCal jumped in with something like "No offence meant to you if you are retarded"

I love the fact that the possibility of offence caused by calling something inanimate "retarded" was headed off by directly referring to the people who could possibly be offended as "retarded".

Gotta love it!

miner2049er
26-10-11, 07:18
Yeah "No offence to retarded people"

tcv
26-10-11, 07:24
I think you mean the Thames TV ident.

Yes. Now I know why it seems so familiar. I know the graphic has appeared at the end of various imported British TV here in the States. I imagine the tune has, too.

Since you're sharing, here's our PBS ident from the 1970s. Many a kid were a-skeered of this ident due to the weird sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YL4pmupHE

GameGavel
26-10-11, 08:23
lol

I was moved to laughter by an act of supreme unintended irony by SoCal in this podcast.

At one point Scott referred to a gaming system as being "Retarded".

Straight away, recognising that this was arguably politically incorrect, SoCal jumped in with something like "No offence meant to you if you are retarded"

I love the fact that the possibility of offence caused by calling something inanimate "retarded" was headed off by directly referring to the people who could possibly be offended as "retarded".

Gotta love it!

LovelyWong
27-10-11, 05:13
Yes. Now I know why it seems so familiar. I know the graphic has appeared at the end of various imported British TV here in the States. I imagine the tune has, too.

Since you're sharing, here's our PBS ident from the 1970s. Many a kid were a-skeered of this ident due to the weird sounds.

Wow. I have not heard or seen that ident in 30+ years. I was not scared of it. They just don't make em like that anymore.

GameGavel
27-10-11, 05:18
Welcome to the forums LovelyWong. Great seeing you at SC3, by the way. Hope you become a regular around here :)

Wow. I have not heard or seen that ident in 30+ years. I was not scared of it. They just don't make em like that anymore.

tcv
27-10-11, 06:37

Those who say they weren't scared ... were TERRIFIED.

Just kidding.

Kids scared by TV Idents is a thing. You can find websites about it and video compilations of the "nightmare fuel" idents. Kids were scared by the PBS one above, yes, but also Screen Gems, Viacom (the "V of Doom" or the "Pinball" ident), DIC (especially the one with the sleeping kid), Mark VII with the hammer strike, earlier Universal idents. I think the Thames one might have fit the bill, but I think the TV Ident Fear Factor might be an American phenom. I don't know.

Gonna be honest here, the Screen Gems one after Bewitched scared me silly when I was a wee babe in arms, as did the 70s era Rankin Bass thant ran after the Christmas specials. It's mostly the unusual melodies and jarring sounds. I'd like to say this is a mental issue of one, but apparently lots of kids were freaked out by these things.

If you want to kill time, look up idents on Youtube.

Edit: Here's a thread written by someone who was scared of the V of Doom. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055891807) Someone else mentioned being scared of Thames.

Cynicaster
28-10-11, 05:37
I enjoyed the show this month, and interview being particularly entertaining.

Scott, what Terminator game for the Gamecube wasn&rsquo;t brought to the states? Nintendo put very few restrictions on the Gamecube, so I doubt they had anything to do with it not coming out in the US. Like the Altered Beast re-make (another rare European exclusive), it was probably terrible and the publisher decided to not risk pushing out a potential failure.

About Crack&rsquo;s list. I don&rsquo;t read the Cracked website, but I do want to defend them on two points. The first time I heard of the Vectrex was in the late 90&rsquo;s in an article on the Vectrex Emulator. A close friend of mine is a videogame and I introduced him to the Vectrex about two years ago. The Vectrex isn&rsquo;t as well known or remembered as you might think.

Second, the Supergrafx actually had 7 games. The Supergrafx wasn&rsquo;t the same thing as the Turbo Grafx. It was a crazy expensive, upgraded version of the PC-Engine that was designed to play perfect ports of arcade games. It flopped in Japan when it was released in 1989.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the Top 10 and can&rsquo;t argue with it. While I believe early PSX games should be considered retro, the Dual Shock was designed almost entirely for Metal Gear Solid, and that&rsquo;s where I personally believe the current modern era of gaming began. I&rsquo;m also surprised nobody went smart ass and campaigned for &ldquo;The Micro Switch&rdquo; or &ldquo;Convex Buttons&rdquo; as their number one.

I didn't know about the Vectrex until recently either, but I think the salient point is that any reasonably objective appraisal of the system based on its merits alone should lead most fans of retrogaming to acknowledge that it's pretty cool, especially for its era. Poor sales caused largely by industry factors doesn't make it "retarded".

tcv
29-10-11, 03:05
Just adding my voice to the mix. I don't know how I became aware of the Vectrex, but I bought it when it was new. I seem to recall a Saturday evening seeing it through the window of an electronics storefront. Somehow, I convinced my parents to buy it and we played it that night.

IIRC, the screen died, but we played it a lot.

Dhalamar
29-10-11, 06:09
Just adding my voice to the mix. I don't know how I became aware of the Vectrex, but I bought it when it was new. I seem to recall a Saturday evening seeing it through the window of an electronics storefront. Somehow, I convinced my parents to buy it and we played it that night.

IIRC, the screen died, but we played it a lot.

I had personally never even HEARD of the Vectrex (tragically) until I got into the emulation scene in it's infancy. Even then ... with the emulator(s) that were out at the time ... they weren't exactly approachable or even usable.

But ... then again ... I'm "only" 30 (I started gaming at 2 and haven't stopped since). The Vectrex may have died out long before I was aware of such things.

miner2049er
29-10-11, 02:44
Scott's walkthrough is now on our site.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup040_2011.10.htm

tcv
29-10-11, 06:22
I had personally never even HEARD of the Vectrex (tragically) until I got into the emulation scene in it's infancy. Even then ... with the emulator(s) that were out at the time ... they weren't exactly approachable or even usable.

But ... then again ... I'm "only" 30 (I started gaming at 2 and haven't stopped since). The Vectrex may have died out long before I was aware of such things.

Well, I can't recall how visible it was at the time. It was on the market in some capacity for three years, which is pretty long. Even with that, however, I think if you weren't in the habit of going to stores that sold video games or consoles, you may not have ever seen it. Heck, you would have barely mastered sentences by the time it bowed out.

As for me, I was 12 at the time. That's a point where one starts to become independent and, maybe, can visit stores on ones own. At the time, I went to several independent electronics stores that sold video games and consoles. The Vectrex was sold at two and, IIRC, only one had a playable demo.

Anyway, I think it was easier to miss than most think.

tomtom2play
02-11-11, 03:25
Love the podcast as always. Wish the Dualshock had been in over the gamecube controller, but, I guess that's why we have our own opinions.

Leathco
03-11-11, 02:35
Regarding the 3DS Pinball HOF segments, I'm kinda in the middle. I had no prob with the physics, other than the table bumping didn't feel quite right. At times the 3D was a bit jarring, but it wasn't a constant thing, and I got used to it within a day so I don't really notice it now. The missing tables was a large letdown, but I enjoyed what was there (although I wish there was more).

I thought in the end it was an average game, and the 30 dollar release price was fairly accurate, though I'd try to find it for 20. Unfortunately, it was hard to find locally for me. Not at any Walmart, and most Gamestops didn't have it in except for one about 25 miles out from me.

LovelyWong
05-11-11, 04:47
Just watched the video of Scott's home arcade.
Wow! What a great collection of pinball and videos.

Chris
05-11-11, 05:17
It was a little surreal to finally listen to you guys do the top ten I suggested for you when the show first started! THANK YOU!!!!!! I did enjoy it, though I'm surprised that the SNES controller didn't get more props. I always found that to be much better than the Genesis controller.

miner2049er
05-11-11, 12:12
We always try to credit the listener suggested Top Tens but I couldn't find who had submitted it.

Now we know and it was a fun one.

Waterborn
12-11-11, 12:23
Hey guys, thought I remembered you mentioning a source for the Vectrex multi-cart during this episode, but can't find anything in the show notes. Can you post a link for me? Would love to get one for my Vectrex console. Thanks. Great show as always.

alyinsanfran
22-11-11, 12:39
Hey guys great show as always. I noticed though, in the news you didn't mention the Phoenix Arcade board. It's on the list but I don't think you got to it. If you could mention it next time I'd love to know what you think of it. I can't figure out if it's awesome or not but it seems like an excellent all-in-one solution for a Mame cab.

SubaruBrat
22-11-11, 05:14
Waterborn, the creator has them in stock and you can get one for $50. I PM'd you the address, if anyone else is interested just pipe up.

miner2049er
22-11-11, 12:27
Hey guys great show as always. I noticed though, in the news you didn't mention the Phoenix Arcade board. It's on the list but I don't think you got to it. If you could mention it next time I'd love to know what you think of it. I can't figure out if it's awesome or not but it seems like an excellent all-in-one solution for a Mame cab.

Yeah, we can't always discuss every single link but we include them in the shownotes page.

Submit it again and put "PUDFUCKER" in the subject line.

bill_loguidice
22-11-11, 06:42
Waterborn, the creator has them in stock and you can get one for $50. I PM'd you the address, if anyone else is interested just pipe up.

What is $50?

SubaruBrat
22-11-11, 08:03
The Vectrex Multi Cart, a real nice menu driven one.

keith
09-12-11, 11:13
Gimchi 20 Questions:

6:02:30 Start time

#5 Ive never seen it in a can
#7 Is it green - well sometimes it is though I think the kimchi most people think of is red. (rarely)
#8 It's definately crunchy
#14 hard -
#15 can it be washed - can you wash a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Sure but then its bread, Id say if you wash kimchi then you have cabbage.
#16 smaller than a golf ball I agree depends on the serving size

The answer was chilli pepper and one of you said not remotely .... There are many kimchis but the most famous one people eat every day in Korea is loaded with chilli peppers. On a nice summer day it isnt unusual to walk down the street and see ladies drying chilli peppers for their foods. I really wonder what kind of kimchi U.S. Mike tried?

I have kimchi in my fridge and my parents wont eat it because its too spicy due to chilli peppers.

#22 its definately sliced its cabbage sliced and then fermented with various ingredients.

Id say salad was close and hot pepper was very close.

Now, Im realizing why the US army dont mingle with the Korean community outside their bases, its because the Koreans on the US bases are poisoning them with awful variations of their food.

Kimchi is great with meat, you guys should go out and see if you can get samgupsal (and make sure you get kimchi as a side dish).

Im sorry but the person holding the 20Q ball said he actually didnt know what kimchi was but he seemed to answer the questions better :D

It's always fun listening to you guys.
Keep up the great show :)
(Hmmmm thats what I should have done today, I should have went for Korean food)

miner2049er
09-12-11, 11:25
I guess this is the Korean Kimchi thread then.....

LOL

indieseoul
10-12-11, 02:03
Well actually I answered most of the questions but because of the lag I think a few were answered incorrectly. I live in Kimchi land have eaten it everyday and am in fact married to a Korean. There are also hundreds of types of kimchi with a myriad of colors and textures so it wasn't really a fair question for the 20 questions ball. I more or less asked the question because I wanted to stump that stupid freaking smart ass 20 questions ball.
Scott said it wasn't crunchy and so Socal answered before I could say that it was. I didn't want to argue about the kimchi he ate and it was too late anyway because the question had been answered. This was simply the case of too many cooks in the kitchen LOL. I also have never seen it in a can but if Scott has then it's possible that exported kimchi is sometimes canned.

Hey keith you should fry up your kimchi and make some kimchi fried rice. It will be less spicy that way and maybe your parents will be willing to eat it.

Socal your envelope of kimchi is on it's way I'm sure it will still be edible once it arrives. :) LOL

SubaruBrat
10-12-11, 04:27
In the DC suburbs there is a chain of supermarkets called grand market. They are a pacific rim type so they have most Asian foods, India, etc. the sort of place you can buy fish soda and dried squid candy. And some good stuff too of course. They have some killer marinated chicken, and the obligatory goat head to balance it out. They have a whole isle of the stuff, not knowing Korean I am assuming the stuff in cans next to the jars was the same. One thing is for sure, you can buy about any hard to find fruit or veggie by the crate.

Turbo2Xs
11-12-11, 04:24
I'm sorry to say I don't share the enthusiasm; from the first 16 hour plane ride to Korea to the overpowering smell that emanated from the pores of our KATUSAs (Korean augumentees to the US Army), I could never dare try it!

I would liken it to a non-smoker living with a smoker in a 8' by 12' room; the smell is overwhelming. However, in the smokers defense, we don't fart it out too!

Ick. :FAN:

indieseoul
11-12-11, 06:57
Here is some evidence that what Scott says is true: http://kimchifood.com/kimchi_can.html (http://kimchifood.com/kimchi_can.html)

Hey turbo the kimchi fart thing is the whole reason that I created Cap'n Kimchee my kimchee loving fart jet pack using poorly animated super hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBCvaJOwn0

This video is about the whole made up mad cow scare that occurred here in Korea a few years ago. People were protesting imports of American beef because they thought that it would cause mad cow disease to come to Korea. It was as most silly scares are here completely ludicrous and lacking any scientific or rational thought process. So I decided that a silly video about a kimchi super hero killing the "mad cow" with his Kimchi power was an appropriate response to the absurdity. I always like to counter absurdity with more absurdity. It's just my nature. :)

Link for those with embedded video problems: Cap'n Kimchi kills Mad Cow. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBCvaJOwn0)

meu2
15-12-11, 10:59
Great episode as always. Really enjoying the game room segments, though you know it’s a serious endeavour when you use Matlab to plan out your room!

SubaruBrat
15-12-11, 05:27
It was a bit of overkill, searching for cabinet impingement in dozens of room layouts, perhaps way overkill.....

Indie, the music is priceless!