PDA

View Full Version : Review: Williams Pinball Hall of Fame

GameGavel
24-09-11, 09:09
http://www.gamegavel.com/reviews/2011/09/23/review-pinball-hall-of-fame-the-williams-collection-3ds/

Did any of you pick this up yet?

retroshaun
25-09-11, 07:45
Looks great - all I need is a 3DS :-)

Leathco
25-09-11, 10:58
I haven't seen it in my area yet, but I plan on picking it up. I'll give wal-mart 2 weeks, if its not in by then I'll have to order online.

Burgertime
26-09-11, 09:36
I might end up picking it up, even though I already have the PS3 version and got all the trophies from it.

Flare
29-11-11, 11:25
Just heard both reviews of this game on Episode 40.

They are highly contrasting.

GameGavel
30-11-11, 01:36
Just heard both reviews of this game on Episode 40.

They are highly contrasting.

I think it's great, for what it's worth :)

miner2049er
30-11-11, 10:05
Maybe I should have the casting vote.................

Flare
30-11-11, 03:12
Maybe I should have the casting vote.................

Do you own a 3DS Miner?

miner2049er
30-11-11, 03:32
Yes, but not that game, in fact only game, Ocarina Of Time. I am getting 3D Land for Christmas but I will probably buy Mario Kart too.

random_dave
30-11-11, 04:02
This is one game that really makes me thoroughly pissed off with Nintendo for making the 3DS region locked, I can't see us getting a release over here.

Zen pinball http://3dsware.nintendolife.com/games/3dsware/zen_pinball_3d hits our eShop tomorrow though so i'm pretty tempted to give that a whirl

GameGavel
30-11-11, 04:42
Ya, Zen sounds like it is going to be good. Let's hope!

chalksalad
09-12-11, 11:35
Ya, Zen sounds like it is going to be good. Let's hope!

So? Anyone picked it up yet?

random_dave
12-12-11, 05:35
So? Anyone picked it up yet?

I have, along with some work friends for leaderboard competition.

I am in no way an expert in 'good' table design, and certainly no connoisseur of physics, but so far the quality has matched they're xbox360/PS3 outings, albeit perhaps with a feeling of a little less weight in the ball.

What i have found interesting is the use of 3D, it really makes the rails and features stand out, some of the colour schemes are a bit ghastly and busy, but with the 3D on it really help define the elements of the tables.

So much so that after playing it for a week I had a go on Pinball FX2 on my 360 and it took at least 5 minutes to get used to everything being in flat 2d again, looks like we might have a genre that definitly benefits from a 3D display, but with movement that's sedate enough that it's not fatiguing, something that's quite important during some of the longer pinball sessions i've had in the past.

Sure, I could find plenty of ways to pick flaws in it versus playing real physical pinball, but until they make one of the HD consoles versions compatible with 3D tv's in my opinoin it;s one of the top implementations of video pinball, and at a decent price too.
It will be interesting to see if they add extra tables with DLC, or just publish another pack of 4 as a standalone game

random_dave
04-01-12, 04:51
next week for Zen Pinball in the U.S. eShop, hopefully it'll add all our scores to the friends leaderboard and not care about the different regions
http://nintendoeverything.com/80505/zen-pinball-3d-dated-for-north-america/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GameGavel
04-01-12, 05:22
Like they say, "Finally". I have been anxiously awaiting this one!

next week for Zen Pinball in the U.S. eShop, hopefully it'll add all our scores to the friends leaderboard and not care about the different regions
http://nintendoeverything.com/80505/zen-pinball-3d-dated-for-north-america/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

retroshaun
04-01-12, 06:18
Yup, I'll be picking it up too. Now that I have a 3DS finally :)

miner2049er
04-01-12, 09:16
I like the first table the best so far.

random_dave
09-01-12, 03:48
I've just found some EU boxart http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61fVpEJNDIL.jpg
So hopefully some sort of release date is coming (if it was unlikely to happen they wouldn't likely to have gone to the effort of getting a PEGI rating, and they shouldn't really display one if it's not been assigned yet)

tomtom2play
26-01-12, 01:31
How does it compare with Zen Pinball?

Leathco
26-01-12, 02:06
I think Williams Pinball blows Zen out of the water, just because of the camera angles. The follow angle on Williams is much better than the overhead static shot in Zen. When the ball is at the top of the table you just have no clue what is going on. Zen is not a BAD game, its still good, just Williams is better.

tomtom2play
28-01-12, 09:50
Thanks Leathco I have been thinking about getting Williams.
I noticed the ball dissapearing at the top of the table in Zen Pinball also. The ball just seems to pop out of nowhere, esp. Earth Defense. I do like Zen however.

random_dave
30-01-12, 05:59
There's 9 different camera views for Zen, are they all pants compared to Williams? How many/what kind does Williams let you choose from?

GameGavel
30-01-12, 06:58
Ya, the camera views are generally varying distances from the table on Zen, not as much as different ball and table cams. The Williams just has a better camera system, the zooming in and out and following the ball are just better on Williams. Although, Zen is quite playable and enjoyable with the camers system it uses - shouldn't be a deal killer I don't think. Get them both :)