PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 038 - Cinderella The Barbarian

miner2049er
27-08-11, 12:15
The August show lands and is worth the wait. It features our first ever Live Top Ten and we once again try to fool technology in Twenty Questions.

EGC Editorial - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback - (64:33)
It Came From MAME - (73:46)
Guinness Gaming Records - (82:29)
Top Ten Retro Games (LIVE!) - (84:54)
Insert Coins Interview - (153:05)
Gaming Trivia - (189:01)
EGC Shout Outs - (189:43)
Live News And Listener Views - (197:23)
Electric Nature (Squareway) - (358:41)
URLs And EMails - (362:52)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup038_2011.08.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup038_chat.htm).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

RetroPom
27-08-11, 12:26
Will grab it when on iTunes :)

** EDITED BY miner2049er

miner2049er
27-08-11, 12:33
Thanks for the heads up, I pasted the wrong one here.

Fixed now.

Should be on iTunes when they pull their finger out.

RetroPom
27-08-11, 01:48
Nice one :) Just saw tweet and FB alerts too.
Love the live Top 10 idea.
PS. What do I search for on UStream to find you?

miner2049er
27-08-11, 02:06
Nice one :) Just saw tweet and FB alerts too.
Love the live Top 10 idea.
PS. What do I search for on UStream to find you?

The Top Ten was recorded live at EGC but when we do Live News on uStream, you should use this page:

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/live

but you can find us on ustream too:

http://www.ustream.tv/user/retrogamingroundup

Leathco
28-08-11, 02:57
Good show, it makes a good window into egc for those of us that missed it. The chat room was great that night though! We had our own mini party in the chat room, good stuff.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

indieseoul
30-08-11, 02:41
Good show, it makes a good window into egc for those of us that missed it. The chat room was great that night though! We had our own mini party in the chat room, good stuff.

Yes we did have quite the party in the chat room. You were on fire that night Leathco! It was lots of fun and cool to kinda sorta meet virtually the great Keith Robinson. Keith seems like a great guy to have a bottle of scotch with and I bet his stories were awesome. If I ever move back stateside or become a rich playboy I will attend a CGE. I would like to see if I could out drink Scott. I have out drank quite a few Irishmen, Australians and even a Maori twice my size so it is feasible.

Leathco
31-08-11, 01:54
I'm just worried with my new job its gonna be very hard to make it to chat, except on those rare occasions. I'm working minimum 48 hours a week. The good news is that the money is great, and I even have an office. Unfortunately, web access is limited to the corporate intranet, which is highly restricted, and my android phone. I'll do my best to make it to every chat I can though. I can tether my phone to my tablet for some chats on slower days, but I'm usually rather busy at work, there's a new load of stuff to fix every time I go in.

SubaruBrat
31-08-11, 02:48
What sort of work are you doing? As a long time contributor, your always welcome for what you can make it to.

Leathco
31-08-11, 01:05
The main thing I do is manage accounts for consumer and business equipment rental. So when company x needs new computers at the office I get them ordered for them. When company y is late paying I find out why, and depending on the situation take steps to reclaim the equipment. I'm also their IT guy, so when a customer calls with any computer related issue I either take care of it over the phone or go to the site to fix the issue. That means I am doing two seperate jobs that they used to have two seperate people for. Thankfully that also means I get plenty of hours and a good hourly wage.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definately be in the chats when I can. And my phones have tapatalk so I'll always be in the forums.

Brumisator
01-09-11, 06:38
So, when the people were waiting in line to play pacman, did they warm-up their skills by playing pacman on their phones?

Turbo2Xs
02-09-11, 06:33
Just a few notes

At the Pinball Hall of Fame they had three games that really captured my attention:

1) Burning Rubber was an elctro'magical' racing game that featured a real car model inside a blacklight lit screen area that 'drove' on a looping belt system. Fantastic sound and when you crashed the car model would 'flip over' via a mechanical arm. Scott may know more.

2) Black Knight 2000 is simply my favorite Pin of all time. Love the sound track and overall setup. Would like to buy one some day.

3) Ice Cold Beer was mentioned on the show and it really is a fantastic game made even better when played as a group. One really has to play it to appreciate its awesomeness. I want one. Bad.

4) Despite owning the game, I believe Scott lost to TheAlien at Family Guy. heh

Also worth mentioning is that there was a store right next door that had TONS of classic games and systems. That said, much of the really good stuff wasn't for sale and the stuff that was was priced a little TOO appropriatly - no real 'deals' to speak of sadly.

-------------------------------------

Who was with me for the old man and lady where he kept telling her to "SHUT UP" - you could hear them 2 blocks away. LMAO!!

-------------------------------------

All for now, enjoy your slut game!

eldphm
02-09-11, 09:54
You keep delivering great stuff guys!
Scotts segment about the scent of a game was truly inspired, I think you captured the essence of nostalgia. It was like hearing a master wine taster describe his favorite port wine.
Finally I could hear what happened in the 20 questions segment, I am starting to believe that the thing is possessed.

lank.g01
03-09-11, 07:43
Hi guys, cant wait to listen to the whole show, but i just had to skip to the news segment this month when I saw my submission of the Computer Space Mame cab. I was glad to hear Scott's little rant and to see that he was just as outrage as I was when I saw this travesty. I found the guys website (http://mechanicalarcade.com/hyperspin_emulator_setup.htm) that fully details how he received the cab and why he didn't bother restoring it. To top things off he has a image of a guy raping the cabniet!!
That sort of sums everything up dosent it.

On a side note, Scott, although I wouldn't mind hailing from merry old England I am in fact Australian.
Cheers guys keep up the good work.

Compute
03-09-11, 11:08
Awesome show, as usual. I've tried out a few retrogaming podcasts, and this one is my favorite. One of these days I'll join you in chat for news or live segment du jour.

Chris
03-09-11, 02:24
Hey guys! I'm up to the news segment, thanks for another fantastic show! EGC sounded like fun, wish I could've been with you guys.

retroshaun
04-09-11, 06:28
1) Burning Rubber was an elctro'magical' racing game that featured a real car model inside a blacklight lit screen area that 'drove' on a looping belt system. Fantastic sound and when you crashed the car model would 'flip over' via a mechanical arm. Scott may know more.

Thoroughly enjoyed this too - a real gem, even if it was hard as hell!

Nurmix
05-09-11, 04:40
Thoroughly enjoyed this too - a real gem, even if it was hard as hell!

How did I miss this?! I don't remember seeing it at all.. Bummer!

Although the old ('30s era?) mechanical baseball player swinging the bat trying to hit the floating ping pong ball kept my attention for while.

Nurmix
05-09-11, 04:50
Ice Cold Beer was mentioned on the show and it really is a fantastic game made even better when played as a group. One really has to play it to appreciate its awesomeness. I want one. Bad.
All for now, enjoy your slut game!

That's at the top of my list. Even my wife (who couldn't care less about video games) would enjoy playing Ice Cold Beer.

We sure did enjoy our "slut" game, didn't we?

meu2
05-09-11, 10:04
The Top Ten was great this month, really changed things up to have a large group participate in the debate. Insert Coins sounds like a really cool place too.

seanyboyuk
08-09-11, 12:32
Great show yet again!
Can i place a request in if its possible? Could the podcast show tags be uploaded in hours and minutes rather than minutes? It can be confusing sometimes to skip to a certain point of the show when following the info button in itunes as its all in minutes, not hours and minutes.

miner2049er
08-09-11, 05:01
Can i place a request in if its possible?

No *^$% off!

There are 60 minutes in an hour.

Every hour is the same. ;)

Leathco
09-09-11, 03:33
Lol UK at his finest.

There's really so many different formats players use for time keeping that its best to pick one and stick to it, as UK has. My old blackberry phone always showed the wrong podcast time after the two hour mark. Android phone shows time fine throughout, but uses hours/minutes so I gotta do a lil math if I use the time stamps. Usually though I just listen start to finish, pausing when needed and resuming later.

Nurmix
09-09-11, 04:41
It can be confusing sometimes to skip to a certain point of the show when following the info button in itunes as its all in minutes, not hours and minutes.

Yet another reason why Steve Job's "My Way or the Highway" view of the computing and music technology world is not one I subscribe to.

saberman
13-09-11, 07:41
Hi Guys

Great podcast this month as always.

I loved listening to Scottís analysis of the shutting down of the space shuttle program. I think Scott should do a hardware flashback on the shuttle program. Iím sure I heard that the hardware they used was so old that they had to start sourcing components from eBay?

The top ten was really good too although the top ten best games is a really tough one. Iím not sure I could have picked my all time favourite game. It sounds like you all had a great time in Vegas I just wish I could have been there.

The only thing that worried me was Scottís hardware flashback. I thought he was going to start speculating about the scent of Boonga Boonga :-|.

SubaruBrat
13-09-11, 12:46
To be honest I didn't go down that road of thought, surprisingly.

Nurmix
13-09-11, 06:47
To be honest I didn't go down that road of thought, surprisingly.

That was a very well done segment, Scott. I never gave "the scent of a game" much thought until hearing this.

I will say that I get creeped out by antique stores though. To me they smell like old death.

RedWolfJC
14-09-11, 09:14
Speaking of the shuttle program... thought this was interesting:
http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/14/nasa-plans-most-powerful-rocket-ever/?hpt=hp_c2

Much of amount the development has been minimized: The shuttle main engines can be used, and the solid rocket motors have been extensively tested. There's still a lot of work to do on the core design for the test flight and the upper stage design. The second and third flights might have to be delayed, but NASA is striving to stick to a schedule with a first launch in 2017.

Recycling old shuttle technology. Thing looks a bit like a hybrid of the Shuttle and Apollo programs/vehicles
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/09/14/t1larg.jpg

Leathco
14-09-11, 10:59
I'm wondering if the private sector is going to take over space exploration. We are already seeing potential in companies like SpaceX make progress on vehicles that reach the upper atmosphere where there is very low gravity. Maybe in the next 10 years we will see private space flight, and 10 after that the first private moon landing. I still hold some hope of seeing a manned Mars mission sometime in my lifetime.

Unfortunately, I don't see a manned mission beyond Mars remotely soon. Venus would be very interesting due to seeing whats under its cloud layer, but Mars environment is much easier to create a space suit for than Venus. The other planets are so far away we would need something beyond rocket propulsion, otherwise the time issue becomes a huge factor. Even Mars would be a huge endeavor, if I remember correctly a round trip would take 3 years with todays tech.

miner2049er
14-09-11, 11:48
I would worry about private endeavours running the space program, though NASA is somewhat in the same boat.

One of the Apollo astronauts (I forget who) was asked how it felt to be sat on the launchpad waiting to go, and he said something like:

"Here I am sitting on a rocket ship built by the company who submitted the cheapest tender."

Which kind of puts it all in perspective.

Leathco
15-09-11, 02:30
To me, private is just a risk because they will eventually need to make money to continue advancements, and space exploration, so far, has been a money pit in most areas. Off the top of my head the only major profits from anything to do with space would be satellite TV and GPS systems.

Granted, I could be way off. I'm sure if I am Scott will correct me, as he is much more knowledgeable in this area than myself. Space exploration fascinates me though and I love discussing it.

RedWolfJC
15-09-11, 03:07
I'm wondering if the private sector is going to take over space exploration. We are already seeing potential in companies like SpaceX make progress on vehicles that reach the upper atmosphere where there is very low gravity. Maybe in the next 10 years we will see private space flight, and 10 after that the first private moon landing. I still hold some hope of seeing a manned Mars mission sometime in my lifetime.

Unfortunately, I don't see a manned mission beyond Mars remotely soon. Venus would be very interesting due to seeing whats under its cloud layer, but Mars environment is much easier to create a space suit for than Venus. The other planets are so far away we would need something beyond rocket propulsion, otherwise the time issue becomes a huge factor. Even Mars would be a huge endeavor, if I remember correctly a round trip would take 3 years with todays tech.
I definitely think that private industry is going to be taking a much larger role in space exploration... without getting too political, we're getting in a "cut everything unnecessary" mindset in this country right now, so I can't imagine that the space program will be immune to that. A natural progression would be private industry filling in some of the gaps. I don't think that we are ready for this right now though. Don't get me wrong, I think that SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, etc, should keep doing what they are doing, I think we need to give them more time.
That being said, in the future, I could see NASA wanting to turn over all transportation to and from low earth orbit to the private sector. Perhaps I'm still living in the Kubrick/Clarke fantasy world but I imagine airlines with "space planes" shuttling passengers back and forth to space stations, and using those space stations as launching points for deeper space exploration.
One other thing, I'm not sure we'll be seeing Lunar landings by private industry any time soon, I just can't imagine that any private organization would be willing to take any risks beyond sending craft to Low Earth Orbit (to be honest, I'm surprised that there are corporations willing to take even that level of risk though, so I could be wrong).

RedWolfJC
15-09-11, 03:13
Space exploration fascinates me though and I love discussing it.

Yeah me too, sorry to take the thread off topic :D

Leathco
15-09-11, 03:20
My idea of the private industry making moon landings is the unique environment it provides....mainly the low gravity might be a good thing for certain experiments, perhaps even manufacturing, yet unlike space there is enough of a gravity pull that no one would "float off" so to speak. The question is if the investment is worth the payoff.

alyinsanfran
16-09-11, 01:44
Just got through the show, excellent stuff as usual. Scott your comparison of old smelly cabs to fine French wine was AWESOME.

One point though - after 10 years here I am so tired of the constantly toxic political discourse in the US. Please don't let it infect the podcast!

I'm going to try to catch the broadcast this time. I'm so sad to have missed HRH Mike.

SubaruBrat
16-09-11, 02:09
Funny, I thought I muddled my way through trying to explain it......

As for political toxicity, we keep it to a minimum but from time to time we drop points of thought. But for sure we will not play the game.

BydoEmpire73
16-09-11, 02:46
One point though - after 10 years here I am so tired of the constantly toxic political discourse in the US. Please don't let it infect the podcast! I gotta say, I agree 200% here. Nothing will drive me away from the site and podcast faster than politics. It's the reason I've left many forums over the years. I take politics and the future of our country seriously, and it really, really pisses me off to hear people spew garbage. I feel compelled to respond (or stay up all night thinking about responding) and it generally makes it not worth the bother to visit. Obviously you're free to do what you want with our site and podcast, just my 2c.

Leathco
16-09-11, 03:10
I didn't mean to get political, just like talking about space exploration in general.

Back on track....could we see a small rgr convention again? Not nessecarily egc, just another rgr fan gathering? Or is that set for cge for now?

SubaruBrat
16-09-11, 03:53
Well real life is tough. For example Vince and I are 180 apart on the political structures as they are dictated to us. Over a beer at my place we are probably very close.

The problem with space exploration is that a space program takes 10 years to develop. Political favors, LEFT or RIGHT, change each 4 years or 8 years. In American politics a Democrat created and destroyed the space program.

BydoEmpire73
16-09-11, 11:42
I didn't mean to get political, just like talking about space exploration in general.
Sorry, I wasn't actually talking about this thread, just nodding in support of alyinsanfran's post.

Well real life is tough. For example Vince and I are 180 apart on the political structures as they are dictated to us. Over a beer at my place we are probably very close.True - my family and I are 180 apart, but we manage to get along fine (although a large part of that is avoiding politics).

Now, who's up for a discussion on religion!?!?!?!?

miner2049er
16-09-11, 01:48
Now, who's up for a discussion on religion!?!?!?!?

Thank God for Atheism.

Religion is the first thing to hit the cutting room floor when I edit the show but it's always fun to listen back to though.

Actually, thinking about it, we did have some political discussion in the Top Ten we recorded last night, but don't worry it is actually in context and one of the games revolves around it, so it's all good.

No need to leave or anything.

SubaruBrat
16-09-11, 05:29
Nothing wrong with some political discussion, we just don't want to turn into every other forum. Now, if we can just get rid of those Amish that keep posting here......

RedWolfJC
16-09-11, 08:57
Nothing wrong with some political discussion, we just don't want to turn into every other forum. Now, if we can just get rid of those Amish that keep posting here......

You won't have to worry about them for a while, they're in jail for refusing to use that red safety triangle on the back of their buggies... :D
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/09/13/Amish-sent-to-jail-for-safety-violations/UPI-33531315927439/

saberman
16-09-11, 10:10
Back on track....could we see a small rgr convention again? Not nessecarily egc, just another rgr fan gathering? Or is that set for cge for now?

What about one in the UK? Are there enough of us here to get together? We could descend on Manchester to hero worship HRH UKMike in his wig and tiara :).

Turbo2Xs
21-09-11, 03:19
Thank God for Atheism.

Whatever dude! MY disbelief is WAY 'righter' than your disbelief. I keel you if you don't agree!!

lol

Nurmix
22-09-11, 05:06
Whatever dude! MY disbelief is WAY 'righter' than your disbelief. I keel you if you don't agree!!

lol

I believe I'm so confused now I don't know WHO to disbelieve!

Clytor
05-10-11, 01:57
2) Black Knight 2000 is simply my favorite Pin of all time. Love the sound track and overall setup. Would like to buy one some day.

I too love this game. I had one a few years ago and now miss it. Definitely one of the best pinball soundtracks of all time. I plan to do a guitar wanker cover of some of the tunes one of these days.