PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Price Drop, NES 3DS and GBA 3DS Virtual Console

SepticLemon
28-07-11, 10:20
It's been announced that there will be a price drop for the 3DS internationally due to slow sales. The Price will drop from $249 to $169 in the US, and from £209 to £159 in the UK.

However... Nintendo is treating the people who bought their 3DS' early by introduction something called the "Ambassador's Club", this allows early adopters to get 10 free NES games and 10 free GBA games onto the 3DS virtual console to make up for such an early drop. The NES games include Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Jr, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda; they haven't got into details about what the other 5 titles are. For the GBA Virtual console there's Super Mario Advance 3 Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, Mario vs. Donkey Kong and WarioWare, Inc Mega Microgame$. Again the other titles have not been mentioned, what has been mentioned is that the NES 3DS VC will be made available to Non-Ambassadors, but they will have to purchase each game if they wanted it, whilst the GBA VC games are exclusive to Ambassadors only.

To become an Ambassador you will need to register your 3DS before the 11th of August, this will give you your Ambassador Club status, that will allow you to download your 20 free games.

http://3dsvc.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/nes_and_game_boy_advance_games_coming_to_3ds_virtu al_console

miner2049er
28-07-11, 01:22
Now it's getting closer, but I was in Duty Free in Rhodes yesterday and they were still €259 so I passed.

Had it been at the new price, I may have bought one.

meu2
28-07-11, 01:47
Thatís a fairly hefty, and certainly required, price drop. Iím glad I only paid Ä215 for my Street Fighter IV bundle. Though Iíll believe those ďfreeĒ games when I see them.

Flare
28-07-11, 02:02
Man, I would be royally pissed if I had buy a 3DS at launch. Particularly because most people have their 3DSes in their closet since there are no good games to play on that device.

Still too high for me. Call me when it's $99.

SepticLemon
28-07-11, 06:16
Now it's getting closer, but I was in Duty Free in Rhodes yesterday and they were still €259 so I passed.

Had it been at the new price, I may have bought one.

Oh, Whoops, I forgot the mention that the price change will happen on the 12th of August.

And people who already have their 3DS will be able to claim their free games on the 1st of September according to NintendoLife http://3dsvc.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/talking_point_the_gba_games_you_want_on_3ds_virtua l_console

Leathco
02-08-11, 06:13
I hope those GBA games are just a timed exclusive and will be available to regular users later.

With this price cut....I'm now considering a 3DS. I may get one late this year or early next year. I finally just repurchased a DS thanks to Socal Mike, who sent me Intellivision Lives a while back. Picked up a gold one with a Triforce in the corner, which is pretty cool. Also picked up a flash cart to try before I buy and to take my game library with me on one cart (I still have about 20 DS games from before my other one got busted).

Anyway, while I am interested in the 3DS, the weak library still scares me. I am interested in Pacman/Galaga Dimensions, and Zelda, and Starfox, and Pilotwings....but not much else yet still. What else is there?

miner2049er
02-08-11, 09:21
I may pick one up in the price drop but yeah the library is worrying at this stage with Zelda and Pilotwings off the bat, but my other concern is my DS games. I don't want to lug them all around so I wanna use my flash card for DS games and I don't want my console zapped with an update in the future.

miner2049er
13-08-11, 10:27
OK I bought one today. £160 for console and Ocarina.

I planned on buying some Virtual Console games, but £3.60 for a Gameboy game? Jesus!

Burgertime
15-08-11, 01:05
The way I look at the Virtual Console games is this: Whatever price people are paying for used copies is moot. As is the fact that all the older systems are available through emulation for free.
I'm picking and choosing which games I get on VC even though I'd much rather have physical copies. Already own Mario's Picross, but still got it for my 3DS.

miner2049er
15-08-11, 08:56
Mario's Picross is one I wanted to get but it is too expensive.

I love the game and I completed it again only recently, but that is just too much.

indieseoul
15-08-11, 10:53
I don't want to lug them all around so I wanna use my flash card for DS games and I don't want my console zapped with an update in the future.

I don't own a 3DS so I could be wrong but I believe that you have to select yes to install an update. It would be stupid if they forced it to install since it could get Nintendo in deep trouble if they released a firmware that bricked the console. As far as I know the flash card guys have been updating about a week after new 3DS firmware comes out. So worst case scenario you can't play online or use the e-shop until an update for your flashcard comes out. If you have a good flashcard that is still being maintained I think you should be okay. I think I'll wait a few more years before picking one up. The Sony Vita looks like it might finally be the Sony portable that defeats Nintendo.