PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 037 - Rechanging The Very Great Flip Flonk

miner2049er
19-07-11, 12:20
The July show lands to brighten up your summer and we get back on track with a much more conservative Top Ten than of late.

Hardware Flashback - (00:00)
It Came From MAME - (72:18)
Guinness Gaming Records - (91:50)
CGE Guys Catchup - (94:08)
Moonraker Fruit Machine - (107:25)
Top Ten Turbo Grafx Games - (125:23)
Gaming Trivia - (249:20)
Pinball Wizard 8 - (250:01)
Video Game History Museum Interview - (251:21)
Live News And Listener Views - (263:47)
Ubey (Snp) - (357:23)
URLs And EMails - (360:36)

See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup037_2011.07.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.

Join our Facebook Group (<a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Podcatch via the show’s RSS Feed (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss).

Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup037_chat.htm).

Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

Chris
19-07-11, 01:22
I don't say this enough, but thank you all again for putting out these shows. I just finished up the last one. RGR has taught me about Karl Pilkington, Keith Apicary, and the underlying bitterness of some androgynous folks and how that bitterness can manifest itself in deeply twisted and narcissistic internet rants. You guys rock.

SubaruBrat
19-07-11, 01:58
Thank you sire, were here to try and enrich out little corner of culture. Check out Come Fly With Me on BBC America while your at it, if you like Pilkington and Apicary you should like this.

GameGavel
19-07-11, 02:11
We have a strange sound dropping in at about 1:55 to go?

tcv
19-07-11, 04:10
OH thank God it's here!

miner2049er
19-07-11, 09:29
We have a strange sound dropping in at about 1:55 to go?

I don't hear anything there. We do have a strange sound somewhere in the show. Wonder what that could be?

Compute
19-07-11, 12:58
Great show as usual. I really enjoyed the "fruit machine" section. Although I don't get into gambling devices, the information was fascinating. Also drooling at the thought of an MVS multicart, that sounds awesome.

SubaruBrat
19-07-11, 01:29
Although I don't get into gambling devices

Funny thing is neither did I for the longest time, until I got a machine by opportunity and realized what a cool piece of coin-op it is. Not only that, many of the modern machines are designed by the old guard of pinball. Among many avenues, when Williams pinball died, many of the boys went to WMS the slot division of Williams. I stink at gambling, I was just born without luck, but with today's multi denominational machines you can play for hours on just a few dollars. The best part about owning them in your game room is that you can play them with no loss for a very low purchase price. Funny thing is, you win so much at home and that does not translate to the rest of the world.

Turbo2Xs
19-07-11, 01:44
I played a crapload (heh) of slots a few months ago in Vegas and looks like I'll be doing the same soon. What's funny is that I was winning quite a lot and I could tell that some of the other players were getting annoyed. Thing is, I was betting $4 per spin to their $.40... seems that's the way the progressive slots work.

That said, I'm bummed to hear that "The Great and Powerful OZ" seems to have been phazed out... loved that game!!

Turbo2Xs
19-07-11, 01:45
...as for the show, I'll have to wait until [if] I have my own internet here. :/

SubaruBrat
19-07-11, 01:57
If you need shows or any other content, you have my contact, use it.

eldphm
19-07-11, 01:57
This months show makes me fear the martians ...

miner2049er
19-07-11, 02:53
This months show makes me fear the martians ...

You should.

indieseoul
20-07-11, 01:12
When you can't spot the Martian on the forums then you are the Martian. :)

Burgertime
20-07-11, 03:27
I just got to the CGE section of the show. Plan on trying to finish it up tonight as I also try to finish Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

indieseoul
20-07-11, 01:56
There was an ear shattering noise at 4:08:31 to 4:08:58. I'm so glad I was listening to it on my psp and not headphones. I'm glad to see that Galaga 90 got its due being in the top 5. What the hell was that noise? Those martians sure are cunning little devils. Now I'm off to eat some brains.

chrisbid
20-07-11, 03:17
super grafx was a japan only platform that was intended to be a sequel to the pc engine.

it played pc engine (turbo grafx) games, and there were a total of 5 super grafx game released it could also play.

Chuck D. Head
20-07-11, 11:33
That said, I'm bummed to hear that "The Great and Powerful OZ" seems to have been phazed out... loved that game!!

WTF?!? It was like the newest and most advanced piece of equipment I saw in Vegas this February! I thought it was just coming in. I guess I only saw it in a few places, one of which was our home base the South Point at the south (duh) end of the strip. I was just thinking a day or two back how amazing it would be if they started using the LCD technology from that game for pinballs - holy shit you could make a cool ass game! Where had you been playing it???

tcv
21-07-11, 12:32
Not quite through the Top 10 but so far have been reminded of some great games. I can't play R-Type. It makes me too violent.

Leathco
22-07-11, 05:29
I may be showing my age here, but I consider the R-Type games easy compared to some other shooters, especially Dreamcast era shooters. Maybe its because I spent so much time with the R-Type games though.

tcv
22-07-11, 04:54
I may be showing my age here, but I consider the R-Type games easy compared to some other shooters, especially Dreamcast era shooters. Maybe its because I spent so much time with the R-Type games though.

And this is why I don't even try shmups anymore. If someone thinks R-Type is "easy," then I have no hope.

I'll stick to Target Fun.

angelbeezy
23-07-11, 06:06
There was an ear shattering noise at 4:08:31 to 4:08:58. I'm so glad I was listening to it on my psp and not headphones. I'm glad to see that Galaga 90 got its due being in the top 5. What the hell was that noise? Those martians sure are cunning little devils. Now I'm off to eat some brains.

Where do I send the bill for my blown speakers?

Leathco
23-07-11, 05:52
haha, it made me jump while I was at work cooking (I always work with my headphones in, people think I'm crazy for laughing to myself when listening to your podcast).

Also, the only reason I think the R-Type games are easy is cause I put a LOT of time into them as a kid. As a matter of fact the second SNES game I owned was Super R-Type. When its one of a select few games on your shiny new next-gen system, you put a lot of time into it.

eldphm
23-07-11, 11:42

Tried to convert it to Spectrum and C64 tape files, but neither would load as I hoped. It could work better with hardware or maybe it is the file that Fresh Prince and the blue alien from "Earth girls are easy" loaded up to the mothership in ID4.

tcv
24-07-11, 12:24
It sounds like data. Maybe it's just ASCII...?

indieseoul
24-07-11, 02:20
It sounds like the noise made by the old modems when they dial another computer. I remember back in the day when you would get a wrong number and often hear that. I'm sure I did that to people as well whilst trying to find free numbers to get onto AOL. You would use a program that would auto dial a very large list of numbers until it could connect.

eldphm: Tried to convert it to Spectrum and C64 tape files, but neither would load as I hoped.

It would be cool if RGR would put a free C64 game at the end of every podcast. They could call it This month in Pirate radio. Now that would be Retro!

tcv
24-07-11, 03:52
I seem to recall that some music group had placed a message in modem noise on their album. This might have been it. (http://spacemutiny.com/whiteroses/)

Anyway, the krewe is suspiciously silent on this whole thing.

indieseoul
24-07-11, 07:26
Yes their silence is very disturbing. Perhaps they have been taken over by the Martians. I'm sure it's all UK Mike's fault. If only there was a way to get back at him. Oh wait there is if you have an android phone. I just posted the Whack-A-Mike game for android. See this post: Whack A Mike (http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4293&p=27171#post27171) Yeah I posted it twice what an asshole I am LOL.
UK are you a Martian now?

eldphm
24-07-11, 01:41
I will do some further investigation, I like this kind of mystery. I think I will continue to analyze the segment, seems to start with a 10 second 2600 Hz lead-in. I am pretty sure that Hayes-compatible modems handshake differently so I will continue on the tape "track". The mp3 waveform isn't pretty, adding some difficulty to analyzing it.

Leathco
25-07-11, 03:49
That noise kinda sounds like the gameplay from Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the Atari 2600.

Chuck D. Head
25-07-11, 04:56
I will do some further investigation, I like this kind of mystery. I think I will continue to analyze the segment, seems to start with a 10 second 2600 Hz lead-in. I am pretty sure that Hayes-compatible modems handshake differently so I will continue on the tape "track". The mp3 waveform isn't pretty, adding some difficulty to analyzing it.

While you dorks are figuring it out; I'll be getting laid. Good luck.

Chuck D. Head
25-07-11, 04:59
Just kidding, I can't back that up. I'm at work doing boring shit as per usual, and not smart enough to figure it out anyway.

eldphm
25-07-11, 06:48

Actually not mutually exclusive. But it helps to be knowledgable both in hardware and software.

zxspectrum16k
25-07-11, 06:58
really enjoyed this month's top10 guys. I am not so familiar with the PC Engine, but now intrigued to check it out and try some of the titles you mentioned. Galaga '88 is one of my fav games, like MikeUK I always start with the Dual ship. Like to get into the action fast.

R-Type, what a hard, addictive, brilliant and totally 'I can't believe I died and now my weapons are crap' game. I played it lots on the Amiga in the day, holding down the fire button for mega laser thing felt so cool. I used to try and see how many things i could kill with one blast.

Chuck D. Head
25-07-11, 07:10
Hardware? I am lucky to get firmware and usually require a bootstrap solution to get it up. Seriously, I have been lucky to find a wife that appreciates all this stuff just enough to show an interest and not give me crap about my hobbies, but not enough to be in the middle of it all the time.

miner2049er
28-07-11, 03:03
There was an ear shattering noise at 4:08:31 to 4:08:58.

Where do I send the bill for my blown speakers?

Tried to convert it to Spectrum and C64 tape files, but neither would load as I hoped. It could work better with hardware

The original clip works fine with both but it did not survive conversion sadly.

The original is here.
http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/clips/audio/easteregg_2011.07.zip

Have fun.

Yeah, right. ;)

Flare
28-07-11, 03:10
The original clip works fine with both but it did not survive conversion sadly.When will you finally use Audition?

heh.

miner2049er
28-07-11, 03:18
When will you finally use Audition?

I always do for the final cut but it was converting to mp3 that screwed it up.

I can hear the difference between the .wav and the .mp3 so a **%$£&*%)^) definitely will.

eldphm
29-07-11, 02:19
I tried hard to solve this mysterical sound. But you know, I will not give up easily, even if you cut off both my arms and both my legs I will continue to persist...

miner2049er
29-07-11, 03:32
I tried hard to solve this mysterical sound. But you know, I will not give up easily, even if you cut off both my arms and both my legs I will continue to persist...

"It's just a scratch."

Well, Per has finally solved the riddle of the mysterious sound and will win something somewhere at some time.....
:E::CLP:CLP:CLP:CLP:E:

The sound was actually a Basic Commodore 64 program that I wrote and saved in WinVICE as a .tap image. I then converted it to a .wav file that could either be loaded via tape on hardware or converted back to a .tap image and loaded into WinVICE. Unfortunately once it was converted to .mp3 in the podcast it was corrupted and did not load properly even on hardware so I put up the original .wav that Per then used, though I don't know if he did it in hardware or software.

So now you can all go and do it and see what Per saw. First.

It seems our listeners have a persistent and inquisitive personality which is good, but unfortunately nobody has yet found the easter egg on our website after it has been there for about 2 years.......

indieseoul
29-07-11, 05:24
Wrong I just found the easter egg on the website! Nice strip tease! Was there another one? And Yes....I am a pervert LOL!

Chuck D. Head
29-07-11, 06:40
"It's just a scratch."

It seems our listeners have a persistent and inquisitive personality which is good, but unfortunately nobody has yet found the easter egg on our website after it has been there for about 2 years.......

Damn, just wasted nearly an hour of my (employer's) time looking, to no avail. Not giving up though.

miner2049er
29-07-11, 06:49
Ha! Well, it will remain there so happy hunting.

tcv
02-08-11, 03:49
This kind of stuff is soooo cool.

Leathco
02-08-11, 06:20
Never came across the easter egg. Cool to hear theres one on there though.

miner2049er
02-08-11, 09:23
Yeah only Indie has found it to my knowledge but there will be another one soon.

BTW the whole site is getting a revamp and will look much more appealing when it's done.

Our web guru is working on it now and we hope to unveil it next month at some point.

triverse
10-08-11, 01:55
Coming in late on this conversation but will Chris Mellisinos of Past Pixels be interviewed closer to the Smithsonian Game Exhibit opening? He is the man behind the exhibit for those that don't know.

miner2049er
28-08-11, 05:18
I think I have secured a great prize for Per. Just waiting for it to arrive here.

SubaruBrat
28-08-11, 07:38
And it is a nice one too, congrats to Per!