PDA

View Full Version : Reviewing GameBoy and GameBoy Color Virtual console for 3DS

SepticLemon
04-07-11, 05:28
Ok, the 3DS eShop has been open for some time now, and I've been meaning to do an emulation review on the GameBoy Virtual console on the 3DS. When the eShop opened I got myself Super Mario Land, and a few days later I got The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awaking. Super Mario Land was 3.60, and Zelda was 5.40; other GameBoy games such as Tennis and AlleyWay have a price tag of 2.70, which is the lowest cost of a virtual console GameBoy game.

First off, picture quality, on Super Mario Land, being a black and white GameBoy game, it only plays in black and white, however there is an option for GameBoy elitists where you can hold L and R, and press the y button to switch into the Original GameBoy green screen, this has the blurry effect that the Original GameBoy, so if you dig that then fair enough, but I personally wasn't so fond of the blurry-ness. As for screen resolution, since the 3DS has a much bigger resolution, in order for the game to use the 3DS screen, it has to stretch the screen out, meaning you'll have blurry edges around pixels. However there is a way to play these games in native resolution, just like with ordinary DS games on the 3DS, if you hold start and select as the game boots up, you can play your GameBoy virtual console game in it's native resolution, as well as using a picture of a GameBoy as it's border, similar to what the Super GameBoy did.

For original GameBoy games, I'm quite disappointed with the contrast, the white, or bright green depending on your taste, isn't white, but a murky grey, which to me is a bit of a let down considering that there couldn't be any problems making white "white".

For GameBoy Color, it's not totally perfect, the colours turn out to be darker than what they were on the original hardware. However, comparing this with playing GBC games on the GBA; the GameBoy Color virtual console for 3DS looks better than what the GBA does, the GBA would display GBC games really dark for whatever reason, and even though the virtual console is dark too, it's no where as dark as what I experienced on the GBA.

Sound wise, pretty much identical, I couldn't notice a difference with them...

Something that's interesting with the Virtual Console is not only is there Suspend play, where when you boot it up again you go straight back to where your were before closing it, but the ability to state save too. Just like an emulator, you can save a part of a game on the touch screen, this is called a Restore Point, and you can go back to that restore point by pressing the button on the touch screen again. This is interesting, and will make things easier especially when you screw up on Golf, heh.

Now, onto some bad news, the Virtual Console for 3DS has quite a few things missing. Donkey Kong Game Boy, which was released about 2 weeks a go was originally a Game Boy game with Super Game Boy support, that allowed different colour palettes, backgrounds and enhanced sound. This isn't available on the 3DS virtual console. Which is a huge shame considering that Donkey Kong GameBoy was a great game, and the Super Game Boy made it that little bit better.

Another thing the 3DS virtual console doesn't have, link support. For those who can't wait for Tetris to come out and play it again with friends will realise that they can't play it with other people. Which is a big downer considering that the whole point of the GameBoy was to introduce network gaming to consoles. Here's hoping that Nintendo might do something about that, even though I know they won't, lol.

So, here's a summary...

Pros:

Cheap(ish), at least they're using real money rather than Nintendo Points!
Green screen Mode (For those Hardcore Original GameBoy Addicts).
Suspend Play and Restore Points.
Perfect sound renditions.

Cons:

Low Contrast for B&W GameBoy Games.
No Super GameBoy Support.
No 2 player support.
GameBoy Color games appear dark (though it's worse on the GBA).

SubaruBrat
05-07-11, 12:23
I think they missed the boat on their pricing. The price is WAY too high for what your getting. I looked at the selection and decided that they just aren't worth that and I have not bought any. Had they priced them at a buck a game I would have bought every one of them that I remotely liked. Current pricing = $0 in sales, at $1 a game $25 minimum. Or maybe a 5 for $5 so long as you got to pick which 5.

SepticLemon
05-07-11, 12:31
I'm not too concerned about the price TBH, ok, I'm going to be naughty here and compare ebay prices. But there are quite a few GameBoy games that are getting harder and harder to find. One of them being Shantae on the GameBoy Color, which now on ebay costs almost $250 complete. Sure that's a mad price, but considering that Way Forward, the company that made Shantae, has announced that they're releasing the first Shantae game for Virtual console for 5.40, which looks to be the highest price that Nintendo is asking for a GameBoy game on Virtual console, that's quite a leap down in price. Sure you don't get the physical gunf that Collectors look for. But for the price, yeah I'm going for the Virtual console version, heh.

Dhalamar
05-07-11, 01:26
I think they missed the boat on their pricing. The price is WAY too high for what your getting. I looked at the selection and decided that they just aren't worth that and I have not bought any. Had they priced them at a buck a game I would have bought every one of them that I remotely liked. Current pricing = $0 in sales, at $1 a game $25 minimum. Or maybe a 5 for $5 so long as you got to pick which 5.

I think they just missed the boat in general. lol

chalksalad
20-12-11, 09:20
Coming back to the pricing issue concerning all Nintendo Downloadables (Wii, DS, 3DS), I was wondering if anyone has ever noticed Nintendo having any Special offers or price reductions over the years. This is common practice on iTunes, PSN and I guess Xbox Live but I don't remember ever happening on Virtual Console, Wiiware etc. There was a SEGA sale going on on the VC some time ago but that's just all if I'm not mistaken.
If I'm correct this has to be a Nintendo thing, as most of the publishers also publish on other platforms.