PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 036 - An Evening At The Cottage

miner2049er
26-06-11, 01:40
Buckle up your man bags as we venture into Video Game Hunk territory in the June podcast.

E3 / EGC Editorial - (04:44)
Hardware Flashback - (29:35)
It Came From MAME - (110:51)
Guinness Gaming Records - (123:19)
Al Alcorn Interview Pt2 - (124:39)
The British Hour - (193:43)
Top Ten Video Game Hunks - (203:44)
Gaming Trivia - (255:30)
Descendants Of Erdrick Interview - (255:56)
Pinball Wizard 7 - (277:10)
News And Listener Views - chat log - (279:00)
Electric Lifeform (Chip Shop Master) - (388:10)
Keith Apicary Interview - (393:31)
URLs And EMails - (400:33)

As always, See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup036_2011.06.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.
Join our Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/RetroGamingRoundup). Listen to the May Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2011/RoundUp036_Outtakes.mp3).
Read the Live News chat log (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup036_chat.htm).
Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

Burgertime
26-06-11, 09:24
Lol and I just mentioned I couldn't wait for the new episode to come out. Looks like I didn't have to wait that long ^_^ Having my wife listen to the top 10 to see if she agrees with it.

SubaruBrat
26-06-11, 09:31
Please post her responses, I can't wait to hear the ladies chime in.

eldphm
26-06-11, 09:45
I didn't expect this, but I'm not surprised though. Who knows, you can gain some female listeners. Looking forward to hear your discussion though, as always. Will surely be hilarious!

Burgertime
27-06-11, 05:24
She was busy doing a bunch of stuff while she listened, but she said it as a pretty good top 10. Personally she would of liked to of seen Sepheroth from Final Fantasy VII in the running instead of Cloud.

The more I'm hearing about who's going to be at EGC, the more I wish I was able to make it. To be able to get my Intellivision signed by the Blue Sky Rangers and see what treasures Keith will bring. I almost wish I could ship my system to one of you guys to have it signed.

SubaruBrat
27-06-11, 06:00
Why not come out?

indieseoul
27-06-11, 07:44
Great show as usual. I'm listening to the pinball museum interview which is really entertaining. It's cool to see someone take a hobby and turn it into something that many people can enjoy. That interview makes me wish I could own or at least play a pinball machine. (Never seen one in Korea.)
I haven't got to the top ten yet but I'm sure it will be hilarious and could give me more quotes for the Socal app. I skipped to the news and views first of course just to hear myself because I have a giant ego. LOL. It was great to hear myself on such a great podcast. Thank you for the incredible honor!

I wish I could go to EGC but sadly I can't. It would be great to meet some of the gaming greats. Speaking of which does Keith ever get mistaken for Colonel Sanders or Kenny Rogers? LOL :)

Burgertime
27-06-11, 08:12
We don't have the income right now to travel almost across the county. Really wish we could. We've got a Con next year we're saving up for, along with I'm trying to find a new job real soon (long story short, my current job isn't taking a death threat seriously, and I don't want to stay). The possibility of a baby on the way is also going to take some money too.

Getting through the rest of the episode at work right now. UK, that stinks what happened to the part for your pinball. I hope you guys are able to get that straightened out.

oddword
28-06-11, 02:31
Great show!

chrisbid
29-06-11, 02:25
here's the deal with donkey kong on the intellivision

coleco had the cartridge console rights to donkey kong on all consoles. so they produced donkey kong for the 2600, intellivision, and the colecovision.

the 2600 version is considered 'bad', but the two boards it contains have decent play mechanics. the intellivision version, however is gawd awful. its reputation should be as infamous as pac man for the 2600. the graphics are subpar, the controls are terrible (even among intellivision games).

the conspiracy theory is coleco intentionally gimped the 2600 and intellivision versions of donkey kong to give the colecovision an additional edge.

rickreynolds
29-06-11, 07:26
Thanks for the defense of the DK story (I sent it in). I just sent an update to the news address and then thought I should check here too.

Here are a couple of links for anyone who wants to read a little more:

My website :) --
http://www.rickandviv.net/index.php/intellivision-games-on-an-arcade-cabinet/burgertime/

The Blue Sky Rangers writeup: http://www.intellivisiongames.com/bluesky/games/credits/colecoint.html#Anchor-Donkey-57224

The posting about the new INTV Donkey Kong: http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/dkarcade/dkarcade.php

Scott obviously didn't watch the little video announcement.

Leathco
29-06-11, 08:24
Cool to see a new episode come out so soon after the E3 specials.

rickreynolds
30-06-11, 02:59
Ack! I pasted a bad link to my article about INTV Donkey Kong above. It should be http://www.rickandviv.net/index.php/intellivision-games-on-an-arcade-cabinet/donkey-kong/. The link there points to my review of BurgerTime. Sorry about that.

tcv
30-06-11, 03:26
Man, the hardware flashback was just superb this month. It actually had an epiphany for me. Born in 1970, I never reached the arcades until 1979/80. By that time, I was certainly of the VIDEO game generation and had only tried pins whenever someone was hogging my favorite arcade game.

Yeah, I'm one of those dullards who never got pinball. I'd put my quarter in, smash the buttons, get pissed because it was too easy to drain the ball, and then go play Pac Man. When I went to the big classic games expo here in Houston a couple of years back, I tried to play a few pins and played pretty much the same way.

Scott, your evolution of the pinball player finally helped me to Get It. I admit that I started to get it after watching Tilt, but this hardware flashback finally put Pinball together for me.

Of course, there are no pins around me to try.

tcv
30-06-11, 03:15
I have a question about the Al Alcorn discussion and the Cosmos.

I think Mr. Alcorn said there are no working prototypes of the Cosmos. Am I going off a manufactured memory here that I played one at PhillyClassic around 2001? I remember the LED grid pretty vividly, but I am getting old...

tcv
30-06-11, 03:31
UK,

Having grown up in New Orleans, allow me to assist you with Southern Phrasings. You can use these as you go about your day. They work very well. None of them are racist or insulting... at least to me.

"Boy howdy!" -- An exclamation of agreement with your conversation partner.
Example: Person1: "This president ain't done shit!" Person2: "Boy howdy!"

"I tell you what." -- Expresses strong commitment to an opinion just spoken.
Example: "I don't care much for that guy, I tell you what."

"Whee Doggie!" (or "Yeeee haaaaaww!!") -- An exclamation of great joy. Sometimes follows a physically impressive feat.
Example: While jumping over something with your car, "Wheee Doggie!"

"I'm here to tell you." -- Represents a commitment to relaying information to a conversation partner. Very similar to "I tell you what," but lacks the same emotional intensity.
Example, "That guy don't know what he's doing, I'm here to tell you." The statement is not to be taken literally.

"I might can." (Might be regional) -- Expresses a willingness to try something.
Example: "Do you think you can gut that fish?" "I might can."

"Shake the dew off the lilly." -- Urinating.
Example: "I gotta go shake the dew off the lilly."

"Git!" -- Make haste in whatever it is your partner says he'll do. Somewhat derogatory.
Example: "I gotta go to the store." "Well, go on then! Git!"

There are lots and lots more. These are the ones that I can remember. I should also point out that New Orleans is very different. A lot of these sayings don't get said as often there as you might hear in other parts of the American South.

tl;dr -- Watch King of The Hill.

Burgertime
01-07-11, 05:09
Rick, I'm on the list for that newsletter. Can't wait to get my hands on the new Donkey Kong! :)

SubaruBrat
01-07-11, 05:26
@TCV. I grew up in the backwoods of Mississippi and all I can say is; Smatter Chew, given up all them seak-ret codes?

miner2049er
01-07-11, 09:05
Having grown up in New Orleans, allow me to assist you with Southern Phrasings. You can use these as you go about your day. They work very well. None of them are racist or insulting... at least to me.

@TCV. Smatter Chew, given up all them seak-ret codes?

Oh Snap! Figure Scotty fit to be tied. He darn tootin' 'bout to fix y'alls in the bread basket and git y'all cattywampus.

Darkwood.killers
01-07-11, 11:41
This show was one of the best for me, not because i was mentioned for entering a year old contest but because i really enjoyed the interviews, im not really a pinball person due to my lack of exposure to them however the Pinball interview was great. the sound bites are making me cry with laughter at times too.

Can you guys please plan to come to the UK, i will be attending. Untill next time thanks for the great podcasts.

tcv
02-07-11, 12:53
Oh Snap! Figure Scotty fit to be tied. He darn tootin' 'bout to fix y'alls in the bread basket and git y'all cattywampus.

On second thought, this might just backfire on you, UK.

miner2049er
02-07-11, 01:35
On second thought, this might just backfire on you, UK.

I thought my effort was shit hot!

SubaruBrat
02-07-11, 02:00
@killers, a UK event is 100% in the works. UK Mike has some scheduling concerns with his work, I have to manage my vacation time between Magfest, E3, EGC, CGE 2012, and the UK event. I am adamant about making a UK event as soon as it is possible to do so.

tcv
02-07-11, 05:36
I thought my effort was shit hot!

Well, I'm here to tell ya...

Leathco
04-07-11, 04:27
Wish I could make it to one of these events, but I gotta stick close to my home area. The nintendoage campout was a blast and a small group of 10 of us are gonna hang again this september in indy, renting a conference room at a hotel and all.

Still gotta listen to the rest of this months roundup.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

seanyboyuk
07-07-11, 12:02
Another great show guys! Loved the E3 extras you did too! Its good to hear your show got a lot of exposure at E3 also i am sure its just going to get bigger and bigger! :)

tcv
08-07-11, 02:20
Why does G4 hate Keith Apicary?

miner2049er
08-07-11, 09:10
2m50s - http://www.youtube.com/talkingclassics#p/u/17/S3BxOkxkFSs

3m55s - http://www.youtube.com/talkingclassics#p/u/9/jibHBR2oZ0g

tcv
09-07-11, 03:26
Jeez. Seems like G4 should just embrace the guy.

SubaruBrat
09-07-11, 04:28
g4 Douched us as well, so, no love lost.

indieseoul
10-07-11, 02:47
Wow it was so great getting to hear Al Alcorn answering some of my questions. It would be so incredible if you could get the big three to reunite on a future podcast. This months podcast was super long but it still has me wanting to hear more.

Darkwood.killers
10-07-11, 01:07
Al Alcorn is a top guy, Ted Dabney also - these interviews could do with animating.... When i listened to the podcast interview with Al Alcorn, for some strange reason i imagine SoCal Mike to be changing clothes like Mr Benn? Is that normal? - RGR have some great interviews.

miner2049er
10-07-11, 02:27
Al Alcorn is a top guy, Ted Dabney also - these interviews could do with animating.

It would be good to get the Al Alcorn one transcribed like we did with the Ted Dabney one. Incidentally I read that on my kindle the other night.

Great Stuff.

for some strange reason i imagine SoCal Mike to be changing clothes like Mr Benn? Is that normal?

No.

Darkwood.killers
10-07-11, 03:22
Were might I find the transcribed version, I enjoyed the interview but if im honest my headphones are not the best and some of Dabneys responses were a little hard to hear and my pod cast time was disturbed by a strange incident.*

*im sure its not interesting but I was half way through the Dabney interview whilst sitting at a bus stop in the middle of no where in Scotland after a job interview, out of no where a hunched over little old dear scurried to the seat next to me and about frightened a pint of urine out of me; at that point I was trying to focus on the interview when I noticed her open up this little purse type bag and roll in her hands over the biggest bundle of random keys, after stroking them she pushed them back into the purse, zipped it up and scurried back out of sight... true story

miner2049er
10-07-11, 03:37
There's a link to it on the shownotes page for the episode http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup024_2010.10.htm and also the guy that transcribed it (Dan at computerspacefan.com) has it on his great site too.

SubaruBrat
10-07-11, 03:37
Our friend at Computerspacefan.com did the transcription for us, you can find it here. http://computerspacefan.com/Ted.htm

Leathco
15-07-11, 02:54
A few comments on the neqs.....

The only android apps that were removed (emulators) were emulators that voolates fpl licensing. All of yongzhs emulators violated gpl. For a legal alternative, check ohr robert brogalias android emulators.

And why using an ipad fpr airlines is stupis. If something fries the cockpit isnt there a chance itd fdy the ipad too? Whats wrong with using the ipad as a backup but keeping tje paper map as well?

SubaruBrat
15-07-11, 03:06
And why using an ipad fpr airlines is stupis. If something fries the cockpit isnt there a chance itd fdy the ipad too? Whats wrong with using the ipad as a backup but keeping tje paper map as well?

The FAA dictates that you carry paper charts with you, which makes sense. They also dictate that your aircraft must have a magnetic compass, both work in the absence of power and that makes sense.

In general, things don't "fry" in the cockpit, but you do see analog instruments that are decades old working just fine. My plane is a two seat plane where you fly solo from the rear seat and the passenger sits in the front seat, what I did was equip the rear seat as a "glass cockpit" with LCD screened instruments, autopilot, GPS, Nexgen weather radar, etc. The front cockpit has analog instruments that require no power. Should the digital panel shit the bed in whole or part all I have to do is glance over to the front panel and I have those as backup.

An Ipad makes all the sense in the world, I do similar things with my iPhone. You can store charts, view weather and other updates pilots need such as NOTAMs and TFRs. iPads are so common now in general aviation that companies make mounts to install them in the panel. I would, but my plane is a aerobatic biplane and the panels are just too small to fit an iPad in.