PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 5

Dhalamar
04-06-11, 06:23
In posting this, I'll fully admit I'm not into the whole simulation racing games. Never have been. And the last time I played a game in this series extensively was GT2 on the PS1. I've always been more of a fan of the arcade style racers ... my favorite being the original Need for Speed : Underground.

BUT I saw the game cheap and decided to get it. Partly out of curiosity, and partly because I bought a 40" 1080p TV with my tax return and this is one of those games that has been utterly STUNNING, even in it's PS1 incarnations. I still remember my jaw dropping at the graphics when I played the PS1 games back in the day. :)

I'm not that far into it, I'm messing around with the license stuff right now, and a few minutes ago I played and finished an arcade race.

Have any of you guys played this? And what's your take on it? Especially if you're more of a "hard core" racer fan. I would've directed this at UKMike, but I don't think he has a PS3. lol

But I know Scott has a PS3 ... have you given this a try? If not, you're car guy ... it might be worth checking out. You'd be able to give a better take on it than most people. Maybe even work with UKMike and make a segment called "Simulation racers then and now" or something.

Oh, and bear in mind, I'm playing the stock game off the disc because the servers are being SLAMMED right now with that whole "Welcome Back, here's free games!" thing Sony is doing right now, so I haven't updated it. Netflix's update at 16MB earlier took almost 20 minutes to download, I'm not about to wait all night long for this game to update. :)

I just want someone else's take on it who actually goes for simulation style racers in the end.

Dhalamar
04-06-11, 06:51
Here ya go Scott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf1NoHS2TA4

indieseoul
04-06-11, 05:03
I really don't see how even a car fanatic could like it. I mean one of the things I enjoy about driving on the open road is the great feeling of speed as you take a car to it's limit. I have never owned a really nice sports car and in fact the closest thing to a sports car I have ever driven was a Porsche 911 convertible. Nothing like what Scott owns and drives on a regular basis. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the problem with GT 5 is that it doesn't feel like you are going that fast at all.

When I played the game I felt like I was driving an 80's model Ford Pinto hatchback. No sense of speed, poor control and the lingering fear that the gas tank would explode at any minute. In other words the game sucked! LOL

I prefer the Burnout series of racing games and that guy in the video you posted should really wear shoes while driving. Safety first!

Dhalamar
05-06-11, 01:22
I really don't see how even a car fanatic could like it. I mean one of the things I enjoy about driving on the open road is the great feeling of speed as you take a car to it's limit. I have never owned a really nice sports car and in fact the closest thing to a sports car I have ever driven was a Porsche 911 convertible. Nothing like what Scott owns and drives on a regular basis. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the problem with GT 5 is that it doesn't feel like you are going that fast at all.

When I played the game I felt like I was driving an 80's model Ford Pinto hatchback. No sense of speed, poor control and the lingering fear that the gas tank would explode at any minute. In other words the game sucked! LOL

I prefer the Burnout series of racing games and that guy in the video you posted should really wear shoes while driving. Safety first!

You've just described every single simulation style racing game to me. :P

And Burnout : Revenge ftw. kthx